PDA

View Full Version : Cardif Finals - Alex Pagulayan vs Thorsten Hohmann

Harold Acosta
07-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Alex Pagulayan (Can) 11 - 6 Tony Drago (Mal)
Thorsten Hohmann (Ger) 11 - 4 Earl Strickland (USA)

24 year-old German outsider Thorsten Hohmann completed a remarkable double today as he bounced out defending Champion Earl Strickland (USA) in this evening's second semi-final of the 2003 empirepoker.com World Pool Championship.

Earlier today, Hohmann produced a tremendous performance to come from 10 - 6 down to oust Pinoy favourite Francisco Bustamante and he topped that achievement tonight with an assured display that left Earl the Pearl a mere spectator for parts of the match.

The win put Hohmann into the tomorrow's final of the World Championship where he will meet Alex Pagulayan in the race to 17 final.

Although a relative unknown in elevated pool circles, Hohmann has proved his mettle against world class performances with a win in an IBC World Tour event last year and a final position of three on their rankings.

Strickland looked a cinch with the bookmakers after coming through against Ching-shun Yang this afternoon but it was Hohmann who won the lag and took the first with a sharp 3 / 9 combo.

Hohmann scratched in the next to hand it back to Strickland but Earl did the same twice and Thorsten ran out to regain the lead.

Earl took the next but scratched yet again and the blonde haired German took the rack and the next two to look comfortable at 5 - 2 up.

Strickland was on his way to creating some kind of scratch record as the white ball disappeared once again in the eighth rack. An open table was all Hohmann needed and he dished up to leave Earl looking in dire straits at 6 - 2.

The German piled on the misery in the next as a bold bank shot set up the rack and he took the next to leave Strickland looking at an ominous 8 - 2 scoreline.

Amazingly Strickland scratched in the next but he managed to get back to the table to dish the last three balls and break Thorsten's six rack run.

Earl could do nothing with his break shot and Hohmann got back in the increase his lead to 9 - 3 and although Strickland took the next to give himself a ray of light, he came off second best in a safety exchange and the German found himself on the hill at 10 - 4.

Thorsten's rock solid break never wavered and he broke and ran out to complete a wonderful victory by 11 - 4.

Hohmann, who hails from Fulda in Central Germany was naturally ecstatic at his showing; "I really can't believe this, it's amazing!

"He made a few mistakes and scratched a few times but I played well throughout today. I was nervous of course but I tried to keep it down and it worked.

"I tried the same break against Busta this afternoon but it didn't work then, but this evening I had a very good feeling for my break.

"I have one match left to play in this tournament and I will need to play better than I did today. I have played Alex twice before and we have won one each in short race matches.

" I will try and keep cool and stay focused from now until tomorrow. I will have a drink in the bar with my girlfriend Isabelle and my best friend who has come over from Germany today.

"I am looking forward to tomorrow night because it will be the most important game of my life."

fasteddie
07-19-2003, 05:34 PM
ITS GOING TO BE A GREAT FINAL TOMMORROW.BOTH PLAYERS ARE IN GREAT FORM.ITS HARD TO SAY WHO HAS THE EDGE AS BOTH LOSSING SEMI-FINALLISTS WERE DOWN.DRAGO JUST RAN OUT OF HIS DEPTH AND EARL RAN OUT OF EXCUSES.I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ALEX WIN BUT I THINK THORSTEN HAS HIS NAME ON IT.ITS GOING TO BE GREAT TO WATCH LIVE.
P.S IVE READ A FEW THREADS ON THE EARL FIASCO,DON'T EVEN TRY AND DEFEND THE GUY YOU WILL ONLY EMBARESS YOURSELF.BY THE LOOK OF THINGS EARL NEEDS TO GET PUMPED UP AND BEING THE BAD GUY NORMALLY GETS HIM GOING.HE SAID HIMSELF IN THE AFTER MATCH INTERVIEW THAT HE THOUGHT DAVIS COULD BEAT HIM BUT WHAT HE DID TO MOTIVATE HIMSELF WAS WAY WAY WAY OVER THE MARK.WORST OF ALL WAS TO JUMP OUT OF HIS SEAT AND SHOUT JUSTICE WHEN HIS OPPONENT HAS JUST MISSED A DIFFICULT BALL WHICH HE HAD JUST FLUFFED AT 10-9.ALL IN FRONT OF MILLIONS OF VIEWERS .WHAT A GREAT PLAYER BUT AN EMBARESSMENT!

Steve Lipsky
07-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Anyone know what the pre-tournament odds on Hohmann were?

If he (or a friend) put even a 100 pound wager down, this could be a HUGE payday for him.

Congrats to both players!

- Steve

pooljunkie73
07-19-2003, 09:31 PM
Steve, I'm not positive but i believe Hohmann was a 1000-1

Harold Acosta
07-19-2003, 11:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote fasteddie:</font><hr>
P.S IVE READ A FEW THREADS ON THE EARL FIASCO,DON'T EVEN TRY AND DEFEND THE GUY YOU WILL ONLY EMBARESS YOURSELF. <hr /></blockquote>

Fast Eddie, you definitely have never read any of my posts about Earl's antics.

I said he was one of the greatest 9 ball player in the World. Not that he was the nicest.

"Comprende?..."

Wally_in_Cincy
07-20-2003, 07:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooljunkie73:</font><hr> Steve, I'm not positive but i believe Hohmann was a 1000-1 <hr /></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure they were 100-1