PDA

View Full Version : Cue suggestions

Jay
07-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Hello everyone. Well Im a newbie to the forums and I would like to get some feedback from some fellow pool players. I have been playing pool for some time now,on and off, and I have just got back into playing. I am pretty good but I still consider myself a beginner. Well I play at a local pool hall and realized that the house sticks aren't exactly in the bes condition and I think are actually vey detrimental to my game. I am thinking about getting a cue stick of my own but have no idea which brand and how much I should spend. I am just a recreational player with no ambition to go pro, maybe a couple of tournaments or so. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I want something good but I dont want to break the bank. I was thinking about maybe something from Cuetec or Viking. Tell me what you think?

Sid_Vicious
07-20-2003, 01:37 PM
Cuetec or Viking, those are both solid, good hitting cues. The PH I play out of added the Cuetec line to their wall cues a while back and those cues are far better than the Dufferins. Get the Cuetec, I'd recommend their plain cues, no wrap wood to wood joint.

You'll get everyone's favorite cue line before you are done with this post, maybe even have custom built cues sneak into the thread, but if I'm hearing you right you're not needing to complicate this. Now, if you were stating you wanted to spend 3-5 hundred, things change. Seriously though, whether it be the Cuetec or the Viking, you'll be doing the right thing. I have a Viking and I like it. The Cuetec's at the PH may just play a bit better than the Viking(IMO.) Good luck...sid

emcee
07-20-2003, 02:57 PM
My personal choice is Meucci for consistant playability.
I believe playing with the same cue, no matter what brand, brings your game to a higher level, especially if you are just starting out. You become accustomed to how the cue plays and therefore your consistancy improves. My suggestion would be talk to many players to get as much input as possible. Consider purchasing an entry level priced cue to start with because, whatever brand, you may not like the way the cue feels or hits. You can always move up the price line at a later date.Perhaps you could ask friends if you could use their cues for a game or two to try to get a feel for many different brands of cues, especially if you plan to spend more than a couple hundred on your cue. Good luck, emcee

Jay
07-21-2003, 07:47 AM
thanks for the suggestions people...... now what do you think between Cuetec, Fury, Vintage and Scorpion?

Sid_Vicious
07-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Cuetec is the only name of those which I am personally familiar with....sid

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> thanks for the suggestions people...... now what do you think between Cuetec, Fury, Vintage and Scorpion? <hr /></blockquote>Scorpion and FURY.

Fred

Jay
07-22-2003, 12:00 PM
what is wrong with CUETEC. I hear that it is a good cue but the question that I have now is wood or fiberglass? I know that fiberglass is smooth and prevent warping but a lot of people have been saying that contact with a fiberglass cue like those from scorpion and CUETEC will not feel as solid as a cue that is made of just solid wood. Is this true? Tell me what the deal is

Sid_Vicious
07-22-2003, 12:12 PM
You already got my vote on Cuetec, I think they are great playing cues for the buck! sid

Fred Agnir
07-23-2003, 02:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> what is wrong with CUETEC. I hear that it is a good cue but the question that I have now is wood or fiberglass? I know that fiberglass is smooth and prevent warping but a lot of people have been saying that contact with a fiberglass cue like those from scorpion and CUETEC will not feel as solid as a cue that is made of just solid wood. Is this true? Tell me what the deal is <hr /></blockquote> You asked for a choice between four brands. I gave you my opinion based on your question. I didn't say there was anything wrong with Cuetec. But, I did answer this same question to the fiberglass/graphite cue question:
[ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rootb33r:</font><hr>

so, why is everyone opposed to fiberglass/graphite cues?
<hr /></blockquote>

Because they're cheap and don't feel good to many people.

I had a friend with a Cuetec. I shot with it. I loved it. I thought it did exactly what it was supposed to. So I bought one. But, the one I bought had a little different taper on it. Enough to bug me. And the balance wasn't fit to me as was my friend's. Then, in the summer, with the humidity up, the fiberglass cladding really didn't slide well through my hands.

I used to recommend Cuetec for beginners, but I can't anymore. Besides, being able to buy a Joss cue for under $200 makes some of these other low dollar cues less sensible.

Fred &lt;~~~ would recommend Lucasi and Mali, too <hr /></blockquote>

That being said, if you decide on a Cuetec, to get away from that sticky feeling during the summer, I would suggest to make sure you get the SST shaft. I've played with this shaft and found it to be a great improvement over the earlier shaft configuration.

Fred

Jay
07-23-2003, 10:46 PM
so what would be a good solid wood cue that is under 150

Fred Agnir
07-24-2003, 10:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> so what would be a good solid wood cue that is under 150 <hr /></blockquote>

You can get a Lucasi for under $150.

There are several Adam cues under $150.

The FURY cues with decals are a very solid cue for such a cheap Asian-made cue.

Dufferin Sneaky Petes are under $100. But, I think Dufferin might be going out of business.

Low-end Viking cues are under $150.

Check out http://www.billiardwarehouse.com under Production Cues. They've got all the ones I just mentioned. If I were to pick only one out of the above mentioned, I'd go with the Adam cues. But Viking has their supporters as well.

Fred

pooltchr
07-30-2003, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> thanks for the suggestions people...... now what do you think between Cuetec, Fury, Vintage and Scorpion? <hr /></blockquote>
Fury would be my choice of the 4 you listed, but I would also look at Lucasi

Nightstalker
08-07-2003, 06:22 PM
I play a Fury NR-1 and like it very much. It has a very solid hit for an inexpensive cue. Fred knows what he is talking about.