PDA

View Full Version : Finger position on closed bridge

Karatemom
07-20-2003, 08:08 PM
How are your fingers positioned for a closed bridge?

My thumb rests on the side of my middle finger and my index finger forms a loop, connecting with my thumb. However, I'm not so sure this is the sturdiest it can be.

I've seen some players able to get the tip of their index finger to rest on the top of the knuckle of their middle finger and use their thumb for support. I've tried it and it hurts like hell, plus I think my fingers are just too short for that kind of contortion! LOL. Not as nimble as I once was, I guess.

Heide

bluewolf
07-20-2003, 08:27 PM
I never really think about this, I just do whatever feels comfortable and stable. I had to get out a spoon that was sitting beside my computer to try to figure this out.

I think that my loop is between the thumb and index finger, with the middle finger used to heighten or lower the bridge. I could never get my index finger to loop with the middle one because it hurts.

Laura

Rod
07-20-2003, 08:45 PM
Hi Heide,

My index finger rests about half way over my middle finger, just below my knuckle. My thumb mates up with my index finger near the tips. In effect what happens is, I pinch my middle finger with the inside tips of the other two fingers. The only thing that really matters is the index or thumb or both are braced against the middle finger. Even at that I've seen very good players that are sloppy in that area.

Rod

Fran Crimi
07-20-2003, 10:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr>
I've seen some players able to get the tip of their index finger to rest on the top of the knuckle of their middle finger and use their thumb for support. I've tried it and it hurts like hell, plus I think my fingers are just too short for that kind of contortion! LOL. Not as nimble as I once was, I guess.

Heide
<hr /></blockquote>
Heide, I know that bridge you're talking about. Ray Martin uses that bridge and he taught it to me about 20 years ago. I use it, but only for power draw shots. I find it to be too tense. Ray is a tense player and it works for him.

I don't think your bridge is too loose. You should see the California bridge. I call it that because it seemed for awhile that everyone coming out of California used it. They have this big ol' loop where you could fit two shafts. Lots of air there, and some really great players used (and still use) that bridge.

I fell in love with Loree Jon's bridge and adapted it for myself. The index finger and thumb touch on the side (almost the top) of the third finger knuckle. The loop is loose but it's tilted slightly forward towards the tip, so that it rests gently on the shaft.

Fran

SpiderMan
07-21-2003, 08:50 AM
Sounds like we bridge the same. The pad of my thumb is against the side of my middle finger, and my index (nose) finger overlaps on the outside. Some players use the thumb on the outside, but what I think is consistent is that either the thumb or index finger be firmly against the middle finger, with the other one outside and up against it. I suppose if you had really short fingers the thumb and index finger could meet at their tips and both be against the middle finger, but for most people that would be a loose bridge.

SpiderMan