PDA

View Full Version : Problem with non-pool playing buddies(8 ball)

eg8r
07-21-2003, 04:03 AM
Alright, I am sure this has come up before, but my last thread reminded me of the main reason why I hate to play pool with people who do not play pool. It is the leave.

When I am playing against OnePocketChamp, Ken (to some degree) or anyone else at the pool hall I generally have an idea of what will happen if the guy misses. Obviously this is a guess, but I know that he is not going to just be swinging for the fences everytime it is his turn at the table. When playing a social pool player, I never know what is going to happen. First off, they keep moving the balls on the table around so much, that I cannot concentrate anymore. Every time I get to the table my balls are in a different place and it takes me a minute to decide what I am going to do "this time". /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Most important though, is the leave. Social pool players leave me in the most gawd-awful places on the table with respect to my object balls. It seems I take more kick shots than ever just to get to my balls. This usually breaks me down pretty well when playing someone who does it on purpose, but when a social player does it, it drives me nuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone else with this problem?

eg8r

nhp
07-21-2003, 06:33 AM
When you play with people who do not take the game as seriously as you, you have to change how you look at the game. First, disregard that your friends think you are so good (since you play alot) that you will never miss. Tell them that playing against them is different then playing a stranger for money or a tournament. Try to be talkative, joke around alot. Do not attempt to play seriously, even if you are playing for a beer. All this will do is frustrate you more, because your friends are not playing seriously. Usually if you play against someone who misses alot, it will totally throw you out of your rythm, which is something you absoloutly must have when you want to play your best. If you try to play seriously and get some practice out of playing people who don't play, it will hurt your game more than it will help you, trust me. Just try to have fun, and don't get frustrated, because it might give you some bad habits when you play in a tournament or gamble.

Fred Agnir
07-21-2003, 06:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> Most important though, is the leave. Social pool players leave me in the most gawd-awful places on the table with respect to my object balls. It seems I take more kick shots than ever just to get to my balls. This usually breaks me down pretty well when playing someone who does it on purpose, but when a social player does it, it drives me nuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone else with this problem?

eg8r <hr /></blockquote>Of course. I think we all have that problem. I don't like playing social pool. My friends who play serious golf understand this idea.

Your situation with the terrible leaves is exacerbated by the fact that since you're playing social pool, you probably are self-forced to disregard any defensive options.

Fred

rackmup
07-21-2003, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>...Ken (to some degree)... <hr /></blockquote>

And just what does that mean???

Regards,

Ken (to some degree)

eg8r
07-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Oh you know what it means. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
07-21-2003, 11:43 AM
I think playing socially broadcasts one of my bad habits....Low concentration levels. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It drives me nuts to see the balls knocking around all over the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~Does not play much social pool at all

OnePocketChamp
07-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Eg8r does not play social pool because he is not very social or some where in his past he contacted one of those "social diseases". Now, Ken on the other hand is very social and has had treatment for numerous social diseases. Hope this clears up all the issues on this post.

Hopster
07-22-2003, 12:48 AM
Eg8r does not play social pool because he is not very social or some where in his past he contacted one of those "social diseases". Now, Ken on the other hand is very social and has had treatment for numerous social diseases. Hope this clears up all the issues on this post. &lt;--OPC

Remember now, untreated social diseases can cause severe brain damage in some instances. Remember Al Capone ?
Just thinking of your continued mental stability, Ken.

Keith Talent
07-22-2003, 02:05 AM
eg8r,

What's worse than the funky leaves, to me, is the chatting. And the absence of any serious thought going into a shot. Hell, you might as well be skipping stones ... though, then again, isn't it better if when you get 2 skips your friend goes for 3, then you go for 4?

What I mean is I don't really get social game playing. This may well explain why I had no friends in HS, sigh. But going out on a golf course and shooting 110, playing tennis and tapping in a serve, picking up a cue and taking no interest in even attempting to run 3 balls ... I don't get it. How is this fun?

But I'm a crank, I guess. Can't dribble to my left, so no social basketball. Can't break 100 in either golf or bowling, so they're out, too. Whiffle ball, anyone? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif