PDA

View Full Version : Need help buying a cue

Jay
07-21-2003, 11:08 AM
Hello my name is Jason and im in need of some assistance. Ive been playing pool for some time and although some think im good i consider myself as just a beginner. I frequent the local pool halls and i have noticed that the house cues arent exactly in the best condition and i think they are actually hurting my game. I was thinking about buying a cue but I have no idea which one I should buy. I looking for something good but dont want to break the bank. I want something solid and that will last me a long time. I have been searching online and I have seen a couple that I like. I have been looking at CUETEC, FURY and SCORPION. Does anyone have any suggestions on the cues offered from these companies or have any suggestions on other companies that have good cues. Any help would be appreciated.

Cueless Joey
07-21-2003, 11:25 AM
If you're in the less than $200 budget, take a look at basic Viking or Mcdermott cues. They are built much better than the two imports you mentioned.
Check cuesforless.com for great prices.

eg8r
07-21-2003, 11:30 AM
Do a search. You should find plenty on this subject.

eg8r

UWPoolGod
07-21-2003, 12:58 PM
Do some research and then go to eBay and sort by price. You might even be able to pick up a low end custom sneaky or discounted production cue in that range.

Vicki
07-21-2003, 01:01 PM
The Viking and McDermott cues Joey suggested are good cues. Also look at Lucasi. I would recommend calling or e-mailing the folks at Billiard Warehouse and asking them for a recommendation. They are good people who will not steer you wrong. They guarantee you will like your cue and they price match, so you really can't go wrong with them. Tell Greg I referred you.

www.billiardwarehouse.com (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com)
888-809-POOL

Vicki from MD

UWPoolGod
07-21-2003, 01:40 PM
Looking on ebay right now there tons of cue in your range including a few custom sneaky pete's. One's a Bludworth and another is from a local maker known in his area. They are both under $200 and would shoot with either one before picking up any of the cues you mentioned. Of course it just depends on how "fancy" you want the cue to look for the money.

Sid_Vicious
07-21-2003, 01:56 PM
http://www.hawleys.com/cuetec/99273.htm

I ain't trying to sell Hawleys to ya,,,still why don't you look and consider this economical buy on one of the Cuetec cues which look like the same general cue(wall cue) that hits so well. I'm not the only local player who brags on these wall sticks. Get one in two piece, and just play with it. You hardly bust a hundred on it and it PLAYS good...sid

manager
07-22-2003, 09:07 AM
Jason, I am in the business of selling cue sticks and believe that the cues you named are very good cues, but you forgot one brand that is high up there.....5280 - the Corey Deuel line of cue sticks hit very well and the lower end cues ($180 - $200) hit just as well as the higher end sticks. These cue sticks are wood-to-wood with a radial pin in the joint. VERRRRYYYY nice cue sticks.

Jay
07-22-2003, 11:56 AM
well thanks for all the great info. Now for another question. Wood or Fiberglass? I know that the majority of the cues are made of wood and as for the CUETEC and Scorpion cues I know that they are wrapped with fiberglass to prevent warping which is a good thing but Ive talked to some people and they say that although fiberglass is very smooth feeling and prevents warping, they say that the contact with the cue is not as solid as something that is made of wood. Now tell me what you guys think of that.

Kato
07-22-2003, 12:01 PM
Wood and nothing but wood. Ok, a phenolic joint, or stainless steel, or wood to wood but your cue should be made of wood. Inorganics are evil.

Kato~~~has spoken.

Scott Lee
07-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Jay...Just so you know...Cuetec and Scorpion cues are made in the same factory in China, for different companies. The Scorpion is a direct knockoff of Cuetec. Both are good, inexpensive cues, for the money. An all-wood cue is aesthetically more pleasing, which may account for something, but the playability will be similar. I would play with both wood cues and "Cuetec-like" cues, before making a choice. As was mentioned, you can get some great bargains on eBay.

Scott Lee

Jay
07-22-2003, 09:04 PM
well from what i hear there is a huge difference is playability when comparing an all wood cue to a fiberglass/graphite wrapped cue. I was talking to one of the very highly trained staff at billiard warehouse and they said that you will not have that same solid feel and control on english with a fiberglass cue that you would with an all wood cue. He said something about deflection and absorbing the energy. They also said that you would not really be able to move the ball around the table with a fiberglass cue. I think that the reason why I question these things is because in the back of my mind im still wondering why if fiberglass is so bad and not as good as far as playability than wood, then why do some of the best players in the world like Johnny Archer, Allison Fisher, Earl Stricland and countless other pros play with and endorse fiberglass cues. You may say its all a marketing ploy that is just used to sell product but when you actually see them consistantley winning tournaments with these cue, you cant help but question the general consensus. Im not saying that im a pro but I just have to wonder.

Rod
07-22-2003, 09:37 PM
Jay,
If it has not been mentioned, a ding in the shaft of a glass or graphite cue is a problem. With a wood shaft you just swell the wood with water to remove the dent and fine sand. You don't have that option with glass. Just a thought.

Rod

eg8r
07-22-2003, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was talking to one of the very highly trained staff at billiard warehouse <hr /></blockquote> What does this mean?

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the reason why I question these things is because in the back of my mind im still wondering why if fiberglass is so bad and not as good as far as playability than wood, then why do some of the best players in the world like Johnny Archer, Allison Fisher, Earl Stricland and countless other pros play with and endorse fiberglass cues. <hr /></blockquote> They play with those cues because everything comes down to the almighty dollar. They get paid.

I firmly believe, should they not have their contracts renewed, they would all go back to a normal cue.

eg8r &lt;~~Has no problem getting paid to shoot with a cue

Fred Agnir
07-23-2003, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> I was talking to one of the very highly trained staff at billiard warehouse <hr /></blockquote>Greg Savoie has a staff? Who'd have thunk it?

Fred &lt;~~~ one of Greg's happy customers

Jay
07-23-2003, 11:46 AM
why are so many people suggesting the sneaky pete cues..... what are the benefits of using a sneaky pete

UWPoolGod
07-23-2003, 12:31 PM
They are just the simple plain form of a cue. The more intricate and inlayed your cue gets the more it costs. You wanted a cheap cue, and that would be my advise as well. You would be better off buying a custom sneaky pete from a custom cue maker for $300 than spending $300+ on a Meucci/McDermott/Viking...etc. IMHO. But hey..to each his own.

Fred Agnir
07-23-2003, 12:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> why are so many people suggesting the sneaky pete cues..... what are the benefits of using a sneaky pete <hr /></blockquote>Generally, a sneaky pete will be the lowest cost of whatever brand cue you decide to get. It most likely will still be professionally made, but with no ornamentation that adds to the price.

IMO, Huebler (Huebler Industries) makes a sneaky pete to die for.

Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't think anyone should buy a customized cue for his first cue

Barbara
07-23-2003, 01:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
IMO, Huebler (Huebler Industries) makes a sneaky pete to die for.

Fred &lt;~~~ doesn't think anyone should buy a customized cue for his first cue <hr /></blockquote>

So does Ted Harris!

Barbara