PDA

View Full Version : why so objective towards fiberglass/graphite ?

rootb33r
07-21-2003, 01:48 PM
i have been interested in pool for years, but i never had the chance to play much since i didn't own a table at home, and i never liked the pool halls because they were always too crowded.

for the past couple months i've been playing a ton of pool in my friend's basement, he has a nice slate table, but no really good cues... he had one nice straight 2-piece, until i shattered it while breaking.

so, because i am a spontaneous person and playing with warped and broken cues was no fun, i decided to look for a cue of my own. one of my other friends has a graphite cue that i was playing with for a couple minutes while i was waiting for him to do soemthing, the 10 shots that i took were amazing... so sleek, so smooth, so straight.

so finally i decided on a Cuetec Flaming_X series cue.
it's got a maple (i think) shaft, and has a fiberglass coat to keep it straight.

since receiving this cue, my game has not only improved, but i can actually put english on the cue ball now, because it has a rounded tip instead of a flat one that the other sticks had.

not only is it more fun to break (it hits soooo hard), but i can also now use english to set up for my next shot, which has improved my game tremendously.

i realize i still have a lot to learn, however so far this cue does everything i could want in a cue... it's an amazing breaker, powerful normal shot (i've had to take off some power on my shots, which enables me to concentrate more on aiming than on power), and it has the ability to apply enlgish to the cue ball...

so, why is everyone opposed to fiberglass/graphite cues?

pooltchr
07-21-2003, 02:00 PM
You said it yourself. You were playing with dented up worn out house cues with flat tips. ANYTHING is going to be a lot better. Most of the posters here will probably tell you that as your game improves, the more subtle differences in cues and shafts become more noticable. Shoot with your cuetec for a few months, then try a good quality cue with a good maple shaft. You will be able to answer your own question.

UWPoolGod
07-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Its all personal preference. If it works for you, use it. Personally for me, I have shot fat pudgy fingers that makes it almost impossible to slide a graphite cue through a closed bridge without it sticking. Wood cues slide better for me. I did not like the huge tip it had on it either, I like a smaller tip. If it works for you use it is all the advise I can give. How many of the best players in your are, or the pros for that matter, using graphite cues as their playing cue? Not to many I would guess. To me they are almost like a fad because they are cheap and different.

As far as the Cuetec with the fiberglass coat, same thing I can't stroke it. As far as the coat preventing warping...I have not seen very many wood cues that have warped, especially if they are taken care of. Sure if you leave it in the trunk through summer and winter it might. But if taken care of it won't.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2003, 02:04 PM
I don't think anyone here has a hatred of Cuetec. It is a maple shaft with a thin fiberglas coating for durability and plays almost like a regular maple un-coated shaft. It's the cues that have solid graphite or fiberglas shafts that most players don't like. Why? The maple shaft gives better feedback. I've seen guys play with an aluminum cue. If I had to play with one of those I might quit the game.

rootb33r
07-21-2003, 02:13 PM
yea i understand the "whole shaft made out of graphite" thing, and i like my cue because it has a maple core... you can feel it when you hit it.

off the subject... is there such thing as a "bridge index" or something? like a page with a bunch of pictures of different kinds of bridges?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-21-2003, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rootb33r:</font><hr> yea i understand the "whole shaft made out of graphite" thing, and i like my cue because it has a maple core... you can feel it when you hit it.

off the subject... is there such thing as a "bridge index" or something? like a page with a bunch of pictures of different kinds of bridges? <hr /></blockquote>

http://www.visithhc.com/images/bridges.gif

rootb33r
07-21-2003, 02:25 PM
much obliged.

eg8r
07-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Alright, either you are a real newbie or this is someone using another fake account. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here are some of my favorite lines... [ QUOTE ]
not only is it more fun to break (it hits soooo hard) <font color="blue"> When reading this, I can just picture seeing Ross Gellar from Friends saying it. </font color> , <hr /></blockquote>, and [ QUOTE ]
powerful normal shot (i've had to take off some power on my shots, which enables me to concentrate more on aiming than on power) <hr /></blockquote> and my favorite... [ QUOTE ]
and it has the ability to apply enlgish to the cue ball...
<hr /></blockquote>

Sorry if this post was sincere, I really think this is some kind of ruse. Anyways, I think you should play with whatever cue you like the best. If your graphite cue feels fine and you are happy with it, then keep playing with it.

Lastly, you better quit bragging about how hard it hits or you will have rackmup challenging you to a break competition. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

Cueless Joey
07-21-2003, 03:30 PM
Actually, not all coated Cuetec shafts are maple. A good nubmer of them are made with Ramen.
Cuetec cues' ferrules and tips come off easily. I know b/c my local repairman repairs a ton of them. They use really cheap glue on their tips and ferrules.
Coating wood with fiberglass kills most of it's reasonance. The less reasonce the cue has, the less feel you'll have.

rootb33r
07-21-2003, 03:50 PM
sorry "pooh-bah," i was 100% sincere.
i'm glad i could amuse you, however...

i was just describing the feel and the step up in my game... i'd never played with a rounded tip before (i don't get out much i guess?).

pooldaddy9
07-21-2003, 05:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rootb33r:</font><hr>
so, why is everyone opposed to fiberglass/graphite cues? [/quote

Not everyone is opposed. Some like it, some don't.Same as all sticks. It is not my favorite stick but I have one and have no problem with it. I have the cuetec one piece cues for house cues and they are much better than what came with the table. If you like it, shoot with it.

eg8r
07-21-2003, 07:54 PM
LOL, no problem "Stranger".

eg8r

Perk
07-22-2003, 05:09 AM
"poohbah" "stranger" LOL two words brought a smile to my face this morning. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It has been said, but any cue can bring you more success than you have had if you get used to it. I dont like Cuetecs for personal reasons, but a friend had a nice one that he took everywhere. Well, I never brought mine along in the bar scenes...so I used his. It worked, we banged the heck out of it, and it was straight. Put a good tip on a straight cue, and most players can make it work.

&lt;--with that said, switch to a wood shaft for better feel when ya get more involved in the game.

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 06:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> I dont like Cuetecs for personal reasons<hr /></blockquote> I must be in a pretty good mood. This sentence struck me as funny.

Don't worry, man. We all get dumped at some point in our life.

Fred &lt;~~~ hates certain blonds for personal reasons

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 06:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rootb33r:</font><hr> so, why is everyone opposed to fiberglass/graphite cues? <hr /></blockquote>Because they're cheap and don't feel good to many people.

I had a friend with a Cuetec. I shot with it. I loved it. I thought it did exactly what it was supposed to. So I bought one. But, the one I bought had a little different taper on it. Enough to bug me. And the balance wasn't fit to me as was my friend's. Then, in the summer, with the humidity up, the fiberglass cladding really didn't slide well through my hands.

I used to recommend Cuetec for beginners, but I can't anymore. Besides, being able to buy a Joss cue for under $200 makes some of these other low dollar cues less sensible.

Fred &lt;~~~ would recommend Lucasi and Mali, too

rootb33r
07-22-2003, 09:07 AM
well i considered the stickiness and i got a cheap glove... the friction between the fiberglass and the glove is like 0.00001% lol... it's so smooth.

and eg8r, i thought your name was poo-bah because it was bolded and i wasn't paying attention.
new to the forum, give me a sec.

bluewolf
07-22-2003, 09:33 AM
When I first started playing pool, I could barely hold the cue, did not know where to put my grip, was given a cue with knobs and learned to put it the 3rd knob back.

Later on when I did not like the knobs,and had played a little more, I was looking at cuetecs. I tried a cheap one at a local pool store and it seemed too floppy. I could not tell from the website, if the ones on there would be like that or firmer, so I did not get one. Nothing against them, I just did not know enough to know which one to pick.

Then I got a cheap cut one from a good custom guy and a cheap predator. Both of these cues had nice firm shafts and have worked well.

Now I am a little better and know more what I want. Now I am ready to order what I hope to be my 'forever' custom cue and am seriously talking to a custom guy, narrowing down the specs. I feel pretty safe with this because someone very experienced recommended this person and his cues to me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess the point in all of this is that it took me quite a while to know anything about cues and what would be best for me. I still needed a little help though,because I still havent played very long, which is why I talked to this experienced player who I knew used this custom guy's cue.

That is why, I think, I hear people here say to a beginner, to start with a cheap cue.It, in my case,gave me time to figure things out a little.

Good luck with your cue. I hope that you continue to like it, at least for awhile.

Laura

eg8r
07-22-2003, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and eg8r, i thought your name was poo-bah because it was bolded and i wasn't paying attention.
new to the forum, give me a sec. <hr /></blockquote> That is no problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I figured as much. FL had the same problem.

Enjoy the board.

eg8r

eg8r
07-22-2003, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now I am a little better and know more what I want. Now I am ready to order what I hope to be my 'forever' custom cue and am seriously talking to a custom guy, <hr /></blockquote> What happens when you get just a "little" better compared to what you are today. Will you be looking for another "forever" custom cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~Just giving BW a hard time

bluewolf
07-22-2003, 02:08 PM
ROFL. No. That is why I have the advice of xperts and also talking to Layani about what I do now vs a year or so from now so that the cue will grow with me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Laura

Qtec
07-22-2003, 02:20 PM
All the other guys are polite . Except for maybe eg8r. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The fact is , the 'thing 'that you are playing with should be expedited to the nearest rubbish tip and you should sue the the guy guy that sold it to you under the trade discriptions act ... or something like that.

You just cant beat a good piece of wood.

End of story..

Q

cycopath
07-22-2003, 03:14 PM
What's wrong with a Cuetec/Excaliber cue? Rick Schoeder used one in Poolhall Junkies so they must be good. I mean his character was ranked 13th in the nation.

Just kidding.

Cycopath &lt;--- Plays with a wood cue.

Cueless Joey
07-22-2003, 03:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> What's wrong with a Cuetec/Excaliber cue? Rick Schoeder used one in Poolhall Junkies so they must be good. I mean his character was ranked 13th in the nation.

Just kidding.

Cycopath &lt;--- Plays with a wood cue. <hr /></blockquote>
Maybe if he got rid of that fishing pole, he'd crack the top 10? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
With that mighty follow-thru, I doubt it.
He got beat with a South West. Nuff said!

Jay
07-22-2003, 05:53 PM
so in other words dont buy a cuetec or anything with fiberglass????

rootb33r
07-22-2003, 09:02 PM
i love my cuetec... i don't know what you guys are talking about... plus it was only $70.

eg8r
07-22-2003, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i love my cuetec... <hr /></blockquote> This is all that matters. If you love your cue, then don't worry what others think.

eg8r

Trot Nixon
07-25-2003, 12:09 AM
Just got a new Cuetec fiberglass cue from ebay and I absolutely love it!! This is my first "good" stick and it is unbelievable the difference between a crappy stick and a good one. I know Cuetec is far from good but damn, you barely need to hit the cueball for it to go. So smooth, powerful, good loooking...wow /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Terry
07-25-2003, 04:27 AM
I have two Cuete break/jump cues, one has fiberglass over a maple shaft and the other is graphite. The only thing I don't like about the two cues is that they don't slide through my fingers as well as my other cues. Terry

nhp
07-25-2003, 07:46 PM
LOL!!! DO NOT get me started on PoolHall Junkies! When I first saw Rick Shroeder using a black graphite cue I burst out laughing!! And to top it off, when he goes to that poolhall for the first time, and breaks the balls, WHICH SOUNDED LIKE HE DREW OR FOLLOWED THE HECK OUT OF (which sounds very weak), and everyone looks up at him (as if it's some powerful break) that was just pathetic! The only good thing about the movie was Christopher Walken. The rest stank!

Kato
07-26-2003, 08:00 AM
I have a Cuetec Break/Jump that I've been using for the better part of 11 years. For 10 1/2 of those years it's been warped. I always laughed at the bottom of my cue, it says "Warp Resistant" or some thing like that. Does the job though, breaks well. It'll be on the shelf beginning of next year when I get my new Omen Ebony Ghost.

Kato