PDA

View Full Version : How can I find the name of a cue maker?

ladybilliards
07-21-2003, 04:21 PM
I received a beautiful cue years ago. The person who purchased it for me is long gone, I do know that he bought it in the SF bay area. I can't remember the name of the cue maker, I do remember that it was not a popular name and that he was from southern California (maybe). I do not have a picture of the cue but I will take one and try to post it. I do know that is made from birch wood, a 3 piece cue with many colors, primarily green. The color of the wood runs through the whole cue (you can see diference colors when the cue is detached, as if the wood were sliced). Does this cue ring a bell with anyone? I think I will remember the cuemakers' name once I hear it again. Maybe there is website that list cuemakers? Any and all help appreciated. Thanks.
lb

Cueless Joey
07-21-2003, 04:30 PM
3 piece cue?
Topper used to make cues out of Dymond wood. Crazy colors\ combos. He was from the San Diego area.
Any 3-piece cue are really not worth much, I'm sorry to say.

ladybilliards
07-21-2003, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info. I do like the 3rd piece, it breaks right at the butt for tight spaces I suppose. I've never broken it down. It really is a beauty.
thanks,
sma

tateuts
07-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Are you trying to sell it?

What you can do is post it on E-Bay with a high reserve. Ask the buyers to help you identify the cue. There are a lot of collectors out there and they would probably be happy to suggest a value.

Chris

ladybilliards
07-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Oh yeah, it wasn't "Topper". Thanks
lb

ladybilliards
07-21-2003, 05:03 PM
No, I'm not trying to sell it, I love it. I just wanted to know who made it.
lb

ladybilliards
07-21-2003, 05:25 PM
Bob Renis cues.
lb

SpiderMan
07-22-2003, 10:16 AM
There was a guy at the BCA Nationals last year selling Renis cues. His name was Bob Verville. He didn't have a booth, but was displaying merchandise at several other vendor's booths.

The Renis cues were machined out of solid Dymondwood, a decorative/inlay material available from Atlas Billiard supply. I think the joints (and possibly ferrules) were made of metal.

Dymondwood is a very dense material, not well-suited for this application. In order to have the cues near normal weight, they had extremely small-diameter butt sections. The butt diameter was not much more than the joint. As I recall, they also had finger grooves machined into the butt. When stroked through your fingers, the Dymondwood shaft felt a lot like the shafts on some of the solid graphite or fiberglass cues that have been marketed from time to time.

I did not shoot with one of these cues, but since the heavy Dymondwood shaft would have an extremely high "effective end mass", I would expect to measure terrible cue-ball squirt. I guess I'd call it a novelty cue, for display rather than for playing. I think Verville was asking about $400 apiece for them. Somewhere I have his card, if you're interested PM me and I'll look for it.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
07-22-2003, 12:29 PM
I have one of his cards as well, got it in 2000 in Vegas when I met the guy my chance at The Cue Club. Nice fellow, he gave me a tapper he made out of the same wood material for no real reason, just being friendly I guess. I was intrigued with the cues but not enough to get anything started, but I still have the tapper, even though I never use it since retiring all of my tip tools...sid

ladybilliards
07-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Thanks for your response. I found a place in southern california on the net that carries Bob Renis cues. They took my number down and Mr. Bob Renis phoned me himself! He told me that he makes the cues from beech and birch wood. It's really a pretty cue, my friend bought it for me years ago because at that time I could not make a complete closed bridge and the small shaft helped! Once I learned how to make a bridge correctly and started getting better, I purchased a Preditor. I really like it. Anyway, Mr. Renis told me that many of the guys he's made cues for, break with his sticks and love how they play (well of course he'd say that because he made them!). Anyway, I do like it but I do not play with it any longer. Thanks for the info.

lb

rackem
10-10-2005, 05:16 PM
YOUR 3 PIECE RENIS OR "BOB CUE" AS THEY ARE KNOWN IS WORTH $400 PLUS AND GOING UP, (BOB IS 85) AT LEAST IN SO. CAL. TOPPER CUES WAS A DIFFERENT COMPANY ALSO FROM SO. CAL. IT WAS OWN BY SOMEONE WHO WORKED FOR BOB RENIS. THERE IS PRESENTLY SOME OF THOSE ON EBAY.

rackem
10-13-2005, 06:09 PM
THIS 3-PIECE IS WORTH $450 PLUS. THE GUY THAT MADE IT BOB RENIS IS 85. MOST OF HIS CUES ARE 2 PIECE SO THIS ONE IS SPECIAL. NEVER SEEN A TOPPER 3 PIECE