PDA

View Full Version : Airlines, Security and Bare Feet...(long)

rackmup
07-21-2003, 10:44 PM
During my most recent trip to Florida I was prepared for all the hassles Continental Airlines and the ATA could throw my way...or so I thought.

Tuesday, July 15th:

I arrive at the airport two and a half hours early. I checked my main suitcase and my cues, safely tucked inside their new Joe Porper travel case. No problems. Oops, wrong again. My briefcase contained a 9-volt battery, which in the infinite wisdom of the 19-year old security screener must have resembled 55-gallon drums of fertilizer and explosive materials.

I was politely but sternly told I was going to be subjected to an "Intensive Screening" and that I needed to move to the side of the line. Awaiting me was a very large woman who had that look on her face that clearly said "I hate this job looking at people's feet all day for $8.00 an hour."

She scanned me with the wand and then moved onto my briefcase. Thank God the steel plate in my head didn't set off the alarm or I might still be in surgery as they searched in futility for something between my ears.

"Is there anything in here that might cut me?" she asked. "Not unless you get a paper cut on a page from my Bible or the Max Lucado book that's in there, I replied.

"What electronic device is this battery for?" she queried. "Travel alarm" I responded. "Where is it...the alarm?" she pressed. "In my other bag" I answered.

The answers to this mini-interrogation seemed to satisfy her so she allowed me to move on. It was also her lunch break as she had a 7-piece Popeye's Chicken box waiting on a table nearby.

I boarded the plane without further incident and immediately noticed a gentleman ahead of me as we jockeyed for our seats, carrying a two-piece fishing rod.

This troubled me. I can't carry on my cues because the airlines believe that I might beat someone into submission with them when everyone knows I can't beat anyone with my cues.

But here is this man with his 7' Berkley Power Rod in its two-piece configuration. I couldn't help but wonder if Security had checked him as thoroughly as they did me. I mean, what if this guy had a number two barbed hook and a Bass Assassin Pumpkin Seed colored worm hidden in his shoe that with a little practice, could be flipped into the cockpit with the accuracy of a marksman and hooked into the crotch of the pilot? That "Fisher Terrorist" could own the darned plane and force us to fly to God knows where (probably Montana where I'm told the fishing is pretty darned good.)

Thank God nothing happened and we all landed safely in Ft. Lauderdale.

Everything was normal until the return trip home on July 19th.

I was again screened like so many Iraqi refugees and in the hubbub of it all, I forgot my carry-on bag at the screening belt. An hour passed before I realized (just minutes before boarding the plane) that I was missing a bag.

A gentleman sitting next to me noticed my plight and stated he had heard an announcement that stated "Passengers please check to ensure you have all of your carry-on luggage" and that perhaps I should check back at the belt.

As I approached the security screening area I immediately noticed my bag lying on a table. There was a Broward County Deputy Sheriff standing near the table leaning on my bag. Two ATA Security Screeners and an unidentified gentleman in a suit joined him.

They were laughing and seemingly passing along idle chitchat...that is until I claimed ownership of the bag.

"What took you so long to claim it Sir?" the Deputy asked, never removing his hand from the bag. "This is a serious offense, the ATA guys said.

"You can check the bag Sir. It contains three pairs of shoes, a Hooter's t-shirt and a few belts and ties, I offered.

"Can't do that. Can't open it. We're awaiting the arrival of a bomb-sniffing dog to ensure the bag is safe, replied the Deputy, again, still leaning on the bag.

"Trust me, there is no bomb in it, just shoes" I said.

"Can't take that chance Son" smirked the Deputy.

"Taking quite a chance by leaning on it, aren't you?" I asked.

Well folks, that didn't humor the Sheriff one little bit even if it did tickle everyone else in the area.

The dog arrived, sniffed the bag and determined it was now safe for me to claim. Thank God again that it wasn't a bomb that the Deputy could have set off while he was leaning on it!

Isn't it just a little silly? A guy can carry on a fishing rod but I can't carry on my cues. Security is manned by pimply-faced kids and Law Enforcement personnel that have earned the gravy assignment of working the airport (I know...I had that assignment when I was a Police Officer in Phoenix.)

It's all seemingly become so mundane for them that I seriously question how safe our airports really are.

Just venting a little.

Regards,

Ken

Qtec
07-21-2003, 11:57 PM
A friend of mine, aman of 60 yrs, has been going to the states for the last 15 yrs. He and his wife normally take a camper and and just travel. He loves America and Canada with each trip lasting about 3 months. Last year he had heart surgery , so he missed his holiday and was really looking forward to the trip.

He recieved a letter from the aisline ,saying that because of security checks, he had to check in early.

He was subjectd to a humiliating ,unfriendly 5 hours ,of having every piece of luggage and every article being examined , scanned and probed. He was also bodily searched.

What was humiliating was that he was the only one singled out for special treatment.

His last name ,as you have probably already guessed ,was Mohhamed----.

I think he is going somewhere else on vacation this year.

Another friend of mine had to put an apple that he was eating through the scanner! After they OK,d it , he didnt want it any more! What a surprise.

This is what happens when minor officials are given too much power.It goes straight to their tiny brains.

Q

Rich R.
07-22-2003, 04:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> No problems. Oops, wrong again. My briefcase contained a 9-volt battery, which in the infinite wisdom of the 19-year old security screener must have resembled 55-gallon drums of fertilizer and explosive <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> Ken, you need little more than a battery and a small piece of wire to create a detonator. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif The fact that the battery was loose may trigger an alert.</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> everyone knows I can't beat anyone with my cues. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> That's what Kato said. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> I forgot my carry-on bag at the screening belt. An hour passed before I realized (just minutes before boarding the plane) that I was missing a bag.<hr /></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> As I approached the security screening area I immediately noticed my bag lying on a table. There was a Broward County Deputy Sheriff standing near the table leaning on my bag. Two ATA Security Screeners and an unidentified gentleman in a suit joined him.

They were laughing and seemingly passing along idle chitchat...that is until I claimed ownership of the bag.

"What took you so long to claim it Sir?" the Deputy asked, never removing his hand from the bag. "This is a serious offense, the ATA guys said.<hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">Police, and security people everywhere, consider bags left unattended, to be a very high security risk. In these times, as you have seen, it is not a good idea to leave one of your bags unattended. I have seen buildings evacuated because someone left a briefcase in a hallway. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif </font color>

Qtec
07-22-2003, 05:59 AM
If it was that dangerous, why was the policeman leaning on the bag?

The fact is ,if they really thought it was dangerous , they wouldnt have been anywhere near it. Or not.

They could have asked the passengers if anyone was missing a bag?

Q

[ good job not everyone is born intelligent-- you wouldnt have a police force]

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 06:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> "Taking quite a chance by leaning on it, aren't you?" I asked.

Well folks, that didn't humor the Sheriff one little bit even if it did tickle everyone else in the area.<hr /></blockquote>I don't mean this to be a "holier than thou" response. But, anyway, never ever ever ever ever ever ever joke about anything with security at airports, border police, or any of that. They aren't supposed to find you or me humorous. If they *did*, then I'd feel less safe.

Fred &lt;~~~ profiled

Wally_in_Cincy
07-22-2003, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> A friend of mine, aman of 60 yrs, has been going to the states for the last 15 yrs. He and his wife normally take a camper and and just travel. <font color="red"> He loves America </font color> ....

<font color="blue">And he's your friend? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif </font color>

He recieved a letter from the aisline ,saying that because of security checks, he had to check in early.

He was subjectd to a humiliating ,unfriendly 5 hours ,of having every piece of luggage and every article being examined , scanned and probed. He was also bodily searched.

<font color="blue">Nothing like a bit of exaggeration to make a point </font color>

What was humiliating was that he was the only one singled out for special treatment.

His last name ,as you have probably already guessed ,was Mohhamed----.

<font color="blue">Uh, in case you didn't notice some guy named Mohammed flew a plane into the World Trade Center. What do you expect.

Good thing he wasn't flying El Al. They also would have run a background check on him. </font color>

I think he is going somewhere else on vacation this year.

<font color="blue">Israel? </font color>

Another friend of mine had to put an apple that he was eating through the scanner! After they OK,d it , he didnt want it any more! What a surprise.

<font color="blue">Why in the world would a person be eating or drinking while going thru security? </font color>

This is what happens when minor officials are given too much power.It goes straight to their tiny brains.

Q <hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 07:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr>

What was humiliating was that he was the only one singled out for special treatment.<hr /></blockquote> Paranoid, no doubt.

I've travelled somewhere between 25K-75K miles every year for the past 7 years. When the security stepped up because of the 911 attacks, I was getting "the special treatment" on almost every trip. Sometimes on every leg.

I am Filipino. At the time, the Filipino muslims that were pro-Bin Laden were causing at uprising. I wholeheartedly believe I was being profiled. And I wholeheartedly support the profiling process. At least I know the airlines are doing something about it, even if I'm the guy that gets inconvenienced. I plan accordingly.

Fred &lt;~~~ it's the cuesticks that pisses me off

Rich R.
07-22-2003, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> If it was that dangerous, why was the policeman leaning on the bag?

<font color="red">Probably not the best idea, he had that day. That is why he was not amused, when Ken tried to make a joke. </font color>

The fact is ,if they really thought it was dangerous , they wouldnt have been anywhere near it. Or not.

<font color="red"> It is the job of the security force, to keep others away from it, until it could be checked. That doesn't mean the officer should have leaned on it and it doesn't mean he should have left the building. 99.9% of the time, the package will be harmless. It is that 1% of the time, that I don't want to be the guy leaning on the package.</font color>

They could have asked the passengers if anyone was missing a bag?

<font color="red">If you re-read Ken's post, I believe an annoucement was made. </font color>
Q

[ good job not everyone is born intelligent-- you wouldnt have a police force]

<hr /></blockquote>

9 Ball Girl
07-22-2003, 07:52 AM
I had to go through the same thing when I went to Virginia last year. And all I had was carry on luggage and my purse! I had to go through the metal detectors, get frisked by the wand, take my shoes off, go to the bathroom to change my clothes because my skirt was too short and they wouldn't let me board the plane, then I had to take my sneakers off again before I boarded the plane, open the carry on so that they can check that. Since I took 2 planes to get to Norfolk, I had to go through the whole rigamaro again at Dulles before boarding the plane to Norfolk. And then again 2 times on the way back.

This year, since I'm staying for the whole week, I'll be taking my bigger suitcase which I'll have to check in and I'll be taking my cues like you did in my Joe Porper traveling case. Ken, what was the procedures with the cues? Did they make you take them out or did you do it for them? I hear we're not suppose to lock our suitcases anymore and I'm assuming we can't lock our Joe Porper case, did you feel at ease having to check in your cues without the case being locked?

Wendy&lt;---NY mentality: Lock Everything, Trust No One /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 08:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I hear we're not suppose to lock our suitcases anymore and I'm assuming we can't lock our Joe Porper case, did you feel at ease having to check in your cues without the case being locked? <hr /></blockquote>You can lock it, but they now have the right to use bolt cutters on the lock.

Fred

Qtec
07-22-2003, 08:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
go to the bathroom to change my clothes because my skirt was too short <hr /></blockquote>

Explain please . Q

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 08:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wendy:</font><hr>
go to the bathroom to change my clothes because my skirt was too short <hr /></blockquote>

Explain please . Q <hr /></blockquote>Hey, man. Some times it's better to leave it up to our imagination.

Fred &lt;~~~ imagining

UWPoolGod
07-22-2003, 08:44 AM
A good friend of mine was walking down the street last Monday with his backpack. All of a sudden cops driving by flipped on the lights and pulled their guns on him. They took him to the police station and interrogated him because he matched the description of a guy wanted for burglary. White male, 6'2", 170 lbs, wearing a hat. They kept him there for 5 hours. LOL. He was pissed.

rackmup
07-22-2003, 08:46 AM
They never checked the cues in my presence but that doesn't negate the possibility that they were checked elsewhere in the baggage checking/loading process.

I didn't lock my Porper case as I didn't want to risk them cutting the lock or the case in order to see what color chalk I might use (word is all pool-playing terrorists use red Masters.)

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
07-22-2003, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R:</font><hr> Police, and security people everywhere, consider bags left unattended, to be a very high security risk. In these times, as you have seen, it is not a good idea to leave one of your bags unattended. I have seen buildings evacuated because someone left a briefcase in a hallway. <hr /></blockquote>

Let's be real. If they were that concerned, the cop wouldn't be using it to prop up his donut-saddled body while he chatted with his other cronies.

Having worked a bomb detail for three years, if you even remotely thought something could be dangerous, you cleared the area until a disposal device could be brought in and the item at hand taken to a safe location for inspection and/or detonation.

This guy was just shoving his weight around (and he had plenty to shove.)

Regards,

Ken (being an ex-cop makes it hard to talk about another cop but this guy is simply counting his days until retirement.)

Hopster
07-22-2003, 08:56 AM
You can check the bag Sir. It contains three pairs of shoes, a Hooter's t-shirt and a few belts and ties, I offered.

"Can't do that. Can't open it. We're awaiting the arrival of a bomb-sniffing dog to ensure the bag is safe, replied the Deputy, again, still leaning on the bag.

"Trust me, there is no bomb in it, just shoes" I said.

"Can't take that chance Son" smirked the Deputy.

"Taking quite a chance by leaning on it, aren't you?" I asked.

Well folks, that didn't humor the Sheriff one little bit even if it did tickle everyone else in the area. &lt;--Ken

After reading numerous posts of yours im not in the least bit surprised that you would say this. lolol
Thing is with most cops if they arent the ones telling the joke, it aint funny. Miserable pri###, all of them.
When i was coming back home from Hawaii last spetember, the pull 3 guys over to search for a random check, me a black guy and a chinese guy. As we are standing there i looked at these two other guys beside me and remarked : we sure fit the description of what theyre looking for, dont we ?
They both laughed. Thats one thing i do hate is this racial profiling B.S. law. If a cop thinks someone looks bad they should be able to toss them no matter what. Thats what a cops got instincts for. Now trust me, i am as far from a cop fan as you can get, especially with my background but hey, they got a job to do, let them do it and dont impede them with a bunch of politically correct crap laws.
Just how i see it.

9 Ball Girl
07-22-2003, 09:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;

Explain please . Q <hr /></blockquote>I didn't pay for my tickets 'cause my friend at that time was a pilot for United Airlines (he's a Delta Airlines Captain now) and when you're a "stand-by" passenger who's flying for nothing, you have to follow a certain dress code which I'd forgotten about. Apparently my skirt was too short (18in from the waist) and it was unacceptable to board the plane with such a short skirt because it would be too distracting for the pilots. Just kidding! But that was all. At least they let me wear my tanktop! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara
07-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Ken,

When Pete and I came back from our cruise there was a guy embarking on the plane with an ornate walking cane - the sovenir kind. They allow that but not a cue. Go figure.

Barbara

eg8r
07-22-2003, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They both laughed. Thats one thing i do hate is this racial profiling B.S. law. If a cop thinks someone looks bad they should be able to toss them no matter what. Thats what a cops got instincts for. Now trust me, i am as far from a cop fan as you can get, especially with my background but hey, they got a job to do, let them do it and dont impede them with a bunch of politically correct crap laws.
Just how i see it. <hr /></blockquote> Hopster, I agree with profiling to an extent (that is the problem with laws, either yes or no /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). Anyways, in agreement with you, I think at an airport we should be paying closer attention to those that appear to be middle eastern decent. Sorry if that offends those law-abiding middle eastern decent citizens. The fact remains that 100% of our commercial airline terrorist activities have been caused by these people and those of the same decent are our only known threat. Why on earth would we be looking at blonde hair blue eyed women, when there is no history of blonde hair blue eyed woman hijacking planes and steering them into buildings.

Now, when profiling does not work...Awhile back after Hurricane Andrew blew through South Florida a lot of residents were left without shelter. There was a housing development in Homestead that did salvage a lot of the houses, however after the flooding all their furniture and such was ruined. The residents in this neighborhood all put their money together and found a furniture wholesaler in North Carolina that would sell them enough furniture for this neighborhood for a certain amount of money. These families somehow raised the money and had it all in cash. They sent a white man and a black man in a car up the road to NC to buy all the furniture and arrange to have it sent back to S. Florida. Well on their trip north they passed through Daytona or another city near there (sorry the memory is fading) and were pulled over by a police officer. The officer inspected their car and found all the money. He ended up arresting them and took them to jail. The reason given to them for the arrest was that there were a lot of drug trafficking going on and the profile was a white man driving and a black man as a passenger travelling up the highway. Since the officer found so much money he figured they had just sold a bunch of dope and were heading home. When these guys were released from jail they were sent home (without car and money). As far as I can remember the residents never got their money returned to them and were not able to buy the furniture.

I do not know how the rest of that story ended up, but it is a good reason why racial profiling is not the best alternative. However, when looking for terrorists at an airport, I do approve. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would hate for the politically correct driven screener to pull an old lady to the side who is carrying a bulky purse and check her out, when a middle eastern decent gentleman is walking by free ready to hijack another plane.

eg8r

eg8r
07-22-2003, 10:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine, aman of 60 yrs, has been going to the states for the last 15 yrs. He and his wife normally take a camper and and just travel. <hr /></blockquote> How expensive is it to ship a camper to the states?

eg8r &lt;~~Probably thinking of a different type of camper. Just watched the history channel and the beginning of the Airstream camper/trailer

eg8r
07-22-2003, 10:34 AM
Thank you Fred. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
07-22-2003, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Q:</font><hr> His last name ,as you have probably already guessed ,was Mohhamed----.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr> Uh, in case you didn't notice some guy named Mohammed flew a plane into the World Trade Center. What do you expect.

Good thing he wasn't flying El Al. They also would have run a background check on him.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Q:</font><hr> I think he is going somewhere else on vacation this year.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally:</font><hr> Israel? <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote> Wally you crack me up. I bet he will stay away from Israel at all costs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r

SPetty
07-22-2003, 01:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> When Pete and I came back from our cruise there was a guy embarking on the plane with an ornate walking cane - the sovenir kind. They allow that but not a cue. Go figure.<hr /></blockquote>So maybe we should all get one of those cues-in-a-cane thingees.
http://www.walkingequipment.com/newfeb01/poolmain.jpg

I have a friend who also saw a woman with a decorative full-sized broomstick on her flight, but she couldn't bring on her cues. Go figure.

SPetty
07-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Did you skip the part about bare feet?

A few months ago, when flying, they'd suggest that you take your shoes off unless you were wearing tennis shoes. The last time I flew, they suggested I take off my tennis shoes. I declined, saying "I'll take my chances" with the metal detector.

So, I go through the metal detector with flying colors, but was immediately pulled over to be searched and to take off my shoes. Because I didn't take off my shoes, I was now a suspicious character and was required to take off my shoes.

A few weeks ago, there was what I thought was a horrifying story out of DFW airport - a mother was physically separated from her three year old daughter such that she couldn't see her daughter for 15 minutes! That is absolutely horrible. The screeners eventually acknowledged their mistake, but this was inexcusable. They said they were waiting for a female screener to return. They had some excuse about the child being able to hand something off to the mother.

I'm not a fan of litigation by any means, but I'd sue!

9 Ball Girl
07-22-2003, 01:44 PM
Hey! My Dad has one of those!

Qtec
07-22-2003, 01:50 PM
You try getting hotel for you and your wife , south of the MD line , when you are black and our wife is white.

Do you get the picture . ? Do you think they go to all that expense for nothing . He happens to be able to afford it .

He said the best reception he got in the US was when he went to an Indian Reservation , Navaho [? ] I think .

How do you feel ?

Ashamed of your white bretheren? I am also white , and when I heard some of the stories , I was ashamed and I am not American , just a guy who happens to be white .

Dont forget Tulia.

Q

Q

Hopster
07-22-2003, 11:40 PM
I do not know how the rest of that story ended up, but it is a good reason why racial profiling is not the best alternative. However, when looking for terrorists at an airport, I do approve. I would hate for the politically correct driven screener to pull an old lady to the side who is carrying a bulky purse and check her out, when a middle eastern decent gentleman is walking by free ready to hijack another plane.&lt;--Eg8r

The story you told is unfortunate but things like that do happen. We just got to hope they dont happen too often.
I remember in the early eighties when i was working for some people in New York and my job was to deliver an envelope to a bar in Harlem at around 9:30 at night. This was the numbers or policy business, not drugs. Now imagine a white face at 9:30 at night on 145th and Adam Clayton Powell. lol, i got pulled over about 5 times cause the cops figured i was looking to cop drugs. They figured it out themselves after talking to me. No big secret up there.
Now to me why should it be any different for a cop to pull over black guys in a neighborhood where they clearly dont belong ?? You got to let the cops do their jobs, as much as i dont care for them, they got a job to do let em do it right. Im not prejudiced, just realistic.
With the terrorist threats, its middle easterners who are looking to do the damage, so frisk em if they dont look right. They dont like it ? Ride a camel instead.

rackmup
07-23-2003, 03:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> ...why should it be any different for a cop to pull over black guys in a neighborhood where they clearly dont belong ?? <hr /></blockquote>

Hoppy,

You have to be careful how you word things like this. I know what you mean but until the days of "Whites Only" signs reappear (and I pray they don't), any neighborhood, regardless of it's socio-economic-ethnic percentages, there are no BLACK and/or WHITE neighborhoods.

Regards,

Ken (lives in a "neutral" neighborhood and is just fine with that.)

Hopster
07-23-2003, 06:59 AM
Hoppy,

You have to be careful how you word things like this. I know what you mean but until the days of "Whites Only" signs reappear (and I pray they don't), any neighborhood, regardless of it's socio-economic-ethnic percentages, there are no BLACK and/or WHITE neighborhoods. &lt;--Ken

I was thinking about that before i posted it,lol. But hey it is what it is, I figured you would understand. The only people that might get bent out of shape are of the Qtec variety that look to scream about anything and everything just to let everyone know they have a voice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif