PDA

View Full Version : Why Ten ball ?

Hopster
07-22-2003, 12:43 AM
I remember there was a ten ball tourny in A.C. earlier this year. Now i understand why 7 ball is different as 2 less balls make a more explosive break and they play with that 1 safety rule. If you miss and dont call safe your opponent gets ball in hand and all. That game is quick and brutal.
But why 10 ball ?? Does adding one extra ball really make that much difference ? If so, what ?
Theres a guy who comes in the room every so often and practices it and is a good shooter but i have never had occasion to speak to him. But my curiosity has got the better of me on this game.
Any theorys ?

Billy
07-22-2003, 03:47 AM
balls made on the break become more random than with a nine ball rack

you can still play the one in the side but that's about it

imo

rackmup
07-22-2003, 04:11 AM
I've never played "straight" ten ball but really enjoy a good partners ring game (1 point for the 5 and 10.)

OPC hates it, Kato doesn't understand it and eg8r can't count that high (unless he has his slide rule) so I don't get to play it very often.

And, in regard to the break, it is tough to make a ball on the snap. Of course, we are talking about me and making a ball for me lately has been a coin toss at best.

Regards,

Ken (10-ball is just like nine ball but with one more ball. Neat how that works, huh?)

cheesemouse
07-22-2003, 04:24 AM
Hopster,

While making a ball on the break in ten ball is much more difficult, if you want to feel the difference that one more ball makes in the degree of difficulty of getting out try beating the ghost is ten ball; enlightehing to say the least...happy trails to you... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Perk
07-22-2003, 05:12 AM
Speakin of ghost 10ball...Didnt Corey Duel supposedly beat the ghost 9 straight or something like that?

Fred Agnir
07-22-2003, 06:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>
But why 10 ball ?? Does adding one extra ball really make that much difference ? If so, what ?<hr /></blockquote>What I found playing a lot of 10-ball (about 10-12 years ago), was that the pyramid rack would create clusters not normally seen in 9-ball. Usually, the three middle balls which don't have an open look right out of the rack are still sort of hanging around each other in the middle of the table. That puts an onus on angle and cueball path play, with less "area position" play. At least, that was my observation.

Fred

Kato
07-22-2003, 07:44 AM
He did it in 12 ball.

Kato

Hopster
07-22-2003, 08:25 AM
What I found playing a lot of 10-ball (about 10-12 years ago), was that the pyramid rack would create clusters not normally seen in 9-ball. Usually, the three middle balls which don't have an open look right out of the rack are still sort of hanging around each other in the middle of the table. That puts an onus on angle and cueball path play, with less "area position" play. At least, that was my observation. &lt;--Fred

Thanks Fred , sounds good in theory.

Keith Talent
07-22-2003, 10:23 AM
Hatched, I guess, by folks who found 9 ball too easy. Hate people like that.

Steve Lipsky
07-22-2003, 10:32 AM
Cheese, you ain't kidding about the 10-ball ghost. After the break, you're starting with an average of probably 9.5 balls, as opposed to an average of maybe 8 in the 9-ball rack. That difference exposes itself in clusters, blocked lanes, and just the general difficulty of having to pocket more balls.

With no empirical proof whatsoever, I would guess the 10-ball ghost is about 1.5 times as difficult as the 9-ball ghost.

- Steve

Hopster
07-22-2003, 11:22 PM
With no empirical proof whatsoever, I would guess the 10-ball ghost is about 1.5 times as difficult as the 9-ball ghost. &lt;--Steve Lipsky

What is this playing the ghost ? i have heard the phrase used before but never inquired. Anyone care to straighten me out ?

cheesemouse
07-23-2003, 05:36 AM
Hopster,

The ghost is: You break the rack and then you take ball in hand. You have to runout in order to win the game, if you don't runout the ghost wins. This is a good practice game to improve your offensive style. A variation of this game would be to allow saftey play by saying if the ghost makes any ball the ghost wins; obviously you would also have to play the role of the ghost if you play it this way...

If in practice you regualarly beat the ghost in say 9-ball this would be kind of a bench mark of your level of play. There is no carved in stone guide line but I think it is safe to say that if you can beat the ghost on a nine foot table at 9-ball in a race to five you are an 'A' or above level player.

Hopster
07-23-2003, 06:49 AM
The ghost is: You break the rack and then you take ball in hand. You have to runout in order to win the game, if you don't runout the ghost wins. This is a good practice game to improve your offensive style. &lt;--Cheese Mouse

Thanks Cheese, appreciate it.

L.S. Dennis
07-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Hopster,

I pretty go along with what everyone has already said regarding the ghost and ten ball practice. I like ten ball a little better because it's a little more challenging (although nineball is challenging enough for me) but it does require a little more. I think it was Allen Hopkins who said that if they had it all to do over they should have chosen ten ball as the tournament game instead of nine ball but it's too late at this point.

I kind of equate practicing ten ball to a batter who warms up with two or three bats before stepping up to the plate with just one bat. With one bat you're ready for nineball!