PDA

View Full Version : Working out with weights before playing

griffith_d
07-22-2003, 06:34 AM
I have lifted weights(light) before playing in my tournament and other times I made a point not to to see the difference. Too much will give me a sore elbow and mess up my game,..other times it will make my cue feel light and shots are easier if the elbow is fine.

I have found that working out every day and then resting on tournament day is the best. My arms are in a state of rest and regeneration instead of tense and pumped up.

Griff

Wally_in_Cincy
07-22-2003, 07:32 AM
I have made the same observation. I've only lifted weights before playing pool a few times and each time the tightness of the grip arm really messed up my game.

Also, for me, intense aerobic exercise before playing can be a detriment. I can't deal with the metabolism increase while playing pool.

But, a brisk walk an hour or two before playing does not seem to cause any drop-off in play. Of course, if I spent that time practicing /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.......but you gotta have balance in your life.

Candyman
07-22-2003, 07:24 PM
I lift regularly and agree that it can affect performance. Lifting heavy, when doing any upper body exercises, seems to throw my game off a little. However, if I go light and do more reps, it doesn't seem to hurt my game at all. I know that a lot of pro golfers stayed away from weight training for years, because they felt it hurt their game. Tiger came along and put an end to that myth. I am sure his training is geared around his tournements with a lot of specific "do's and don'ts".