PDA

View Full Version : A pool related FAQ for CCB?

Ross
07-22-2003, 11:35 AM
Some discussions recycle repeatedly as new people join CCB. Nothing wrong with that - as they say, it's all good! But I think it would be helpful if we had our own CCB Pool/Billiards FAQ. This would serve as a repository of information that newbies could access to get up to speed more quickly and also as a reference for all of us.

An example of how a FAQ would be useful: Half of the current posts about pool cues and squirt are confusing because initially not everybody was used the terms "throw," "deflection," and "squirt" to mean the same thing. We had this same confusion of terms a couple of months ago, and again a few months before that. The last time I created http://www.duke.edu/~rulmer/poolterms.htm so everyone could see how those terms are now being commonly used (at least in the US pool media). But newbies to CCB have no way of finding this info or even knowing it exists. With a FAQ we could have a permanent link to this information - as just one example.

Of course all kinds of useful information could be stored in this FAQ - definitions of terms, basic rules of games, information about cues, tables, equipping a home billiard room, a list of useful billiard links, etc. I know RSB has an excellent FAQ with a lot of this information, but it would seem a bit cheesy to just send everyone there. Also, I think our FAQ would have its own CCB flavor, distinct from that of RSB, and that would be a good thing.

So, I obviously think it is time we created our own CCB Pool/Billiards FAQ.

Opinions?

Scott Lee
07-22-2003, 12:06 PM
Ross...I agree 110%! How about it BD?

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
07-22-2003, 12:17 PM
FAQ Pool and Billiards. (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/billiards/faq/)

This is a good site with lots of answers to questions that have been repeated over and over and over and so on..

I like your page also Ross.. I have it bookmarked.. from the first time you posted it. Very good indeed.

Ross
07-22-2003, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my page, Tom, but you also kind of made my point. Long-time posters to CCB probably know where to find this type of info, including the RSB FAQ. But there is no way for a newbie to CCB to be directed to these resources, since there is no permanent CCB Pool FAQ. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
07-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Ross,
You are correct, there isn't a hot button..but there is a Search feature.

If the newbie is puter savy.. they will search for "FAQ" and hopefully this and other FAQ posts will show them the WAY..

Ralph S.
07-22-2003, 10:40 PM
I agree Ross, something like a CCB FAQ is a great idea. Instead of jumping from link to link they could just stay at CCB forum if something like this was added.

Qtec
07-23-2003, 10:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Below center is better, but not so low you miscue, which is a foul on
jump shots, at least at nine ball. If you hit above center, the cue
stick tends to trap the cue ball on the cloth.

Rule 3.24 says it is illegal to "dig under" the ball to get it to jump.
Hitting the cue ball below center is not "digging under". By "digging
under" I assume they mean a miscue. Miscues are illegal by rule 3.25.

<hr /></blockquote>

I thought you were not allowed to hit below the center of the Qb?

Q

Fred Agnir
07-23-2003, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Below center is better, but not so low you miscue, which is a foul on
jump shots, at least at nine ball. If you hit above center, the cue
stick tends to trap the cue ball on the cloth.

Rule 3.24 says it is illegal to "dig under" the ball to get it to jump.
Hitting the cue ball below center is not "digging under". By "digging
under" I assume they mean a miscue. Miscues are illegal by rule 3.25.

<hr /></blockquote>

I thought you were not allowed to hit below the center of the Qb?

Q <hr /></blockquote>Where and what are you quoting?

In this case of jumping, hitting the ball "below center" is normally talking about the apparent center as viewed in the plane of the angle of the cuestick.

Obviously, you can hit below center for draw shots.

Fred

heater451
07-23-2003, 04:23 PM
I would think they could dump what's in the current "Newbie" forum, since that was supposed to be where late-comers could learn how to deal with the Board from a functional standpoint. However, a true "newbie" would expect it to be the place for those who are new to the site and/or the game of pool--which I think is a more natural assumption.

If BD could spare the man (or woman) to work it, I would think that a FAQ would need to be compiled from submissions or research, since many FAQ are opinion based. For example, the "first cue" or "what size table" questions.

Also, I think that BD could simply ask for permission to reprint the "common" terms from Bob Jewett. (Since he has posted here in the past, I would think he would allow it.)

Personally, I want to add some more to my crappy little Tripod site (http://heater451.tripod.com) , but I'm trying to pull things more from my memory (or linking), rather than just taking what's out there and rephrasing/typing it into my site look-n-feel. Then again, one of the original purposes of the web was just to hyperlink documents together, to provide info exchange, it's just that the illusion of "having it in one place" centers more around a site's immediate "area", as opposed to just "on the web". (Sorry, definitely a tangent starting here. . . .)

========================

Sid_Vicious
07-23-2003, 08:17 PM
I doubt that it will get that many new people(or old ones either) to actually use it. Experience on other discussion boards has told me that about all that will get done is this: "Hey dude, that has already been answered in the FAQ section, go there...don't clutter our important main board." and then many of the new people will be reluctant to come back when they actually have an open question. Naaa, leave it as is, we all can suffer that itty bitty bit to attract and keep new friends can't we :-) sid

Alfie
07-23-2003, 09:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote from heater451's site:</font><hr> http://heater451.tripod.com/mixed.htm <hr /></blockquote>
full hit...3/4...1/2...1/4...1/8...1/16
cut angles usually associated with
actual cut angles (not considering throw)
approx. cut angles considering CIT
soft..0....11....24....44....56....65
med..0....11....26....45....58....67
hard..0....11....26....47....59....69
approx. throw error per foot of travel
1 deg, .21"
2 deg, .42"
3 deg, .63"
4 deg, .84"
5 deg, 1.05"
6 deg, 1.26"

Qtec
07-24-2003, 02:43 AM
Good work . Looks great .

What does it cost .

Q

Qtec
07-24-2003, 02:45 AM
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/billiards/faq/
See Jump shot.

Q

Fred Agnir
07-24-2003, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/billiards/faq/
See Jump shot.

Q <hr /></blockquote>Okay. Now, did I answer your question?

Fred

Fred Agnir
07-24-2003, 07:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "Hey dude, that has already been answered in the FAQ section, go there...don't clutter our important main board." <hr /></blockquote>To my knowledge, there is one large FAQ on pool and billiards, and that pointing to it as a reference has been very useful. Being able to point to it as a reference or better yet, copying and pasting portions of it while referencing it helps to "not clutter up the board."

There's a lot of things that drive newbie posters away, but pointing to an FAQ isn't one of them, IMO. Goodness, almost every USENET forum has an FAQ. It's a standard fare item that seems to be a requirement more than a luxury. Why would it work everywhere else but not here?

Fred

John in NH
07-24-2003, 07:28 AM
Hi Ross,

Great post, your examples of throw, swerve, etc., are excellent, best explanation that I have seen,

Great job,

John

heater451
07-24-2003, 04:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> Good work . Looks great .

What does it cost .

Q <hr /></blockquote>Thanks for the compliment, although it's just colorized tables with a header graphic, and a bunch of diagrams.

Tripod offers free sites, you just have to register. The "Guest Book" bit is free from HTMLGear (.com) as well.

Every so often I get the bug to actually design something, but since I know a ton of designers, I don't want to jump in the deep end, until I can really swim.

=========================

heater451
07-24-2003, 04:11 PM
You know, maybe I did "steal" part of that. . . .I can't recall where I got the "approx. throw error per foot of travel" data. The cut angles can be worked out within reason.

=======================