PDA

View Full Version : Intenional and Unintentional Sharking

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 11:43 AM
What I am talking about is intentional actions by your opponent to disrupt your performance.

In tournaments these actions can be considered FOULS.
The most unintentional actions are the ones that still seem to get me. In tournaments, you are shooting at the game ball, and your opponent moves their cue from holding it to placeing it to the side (like they are getting ready to rack). The next one is when you are on the game ball and as you are shooting, they move towards the table.

I also dislike, but don't consider it a shark, when your opponent starts shouting "scratch em" when your cue ball is moving towards a pocket. When the cue ball misses the pocket I like to say "guess you didn't yell loud enogh"

Just venting.. and am interested in any other "Un-intentional Shark moves" that you might want to share..

04-02-2002, 12:23 PM
Hi Tom. The moving-the-cue thing is the worst, because it cannot be called a foul.

My advice is to not let your opponent get away with anything else. If he's the type to scream, "scratch", this is definitely some sort of unsportmanlike foul. And in my opinion it is a shark, since it may affect a future shot you play. If you're afraid to scratch because he might start yelling like a lunatic at the cueball, you'll play more tentatively.

- Steve

04-02-2002, 12:27 PM
I was playing a very good friend of mine in league play last week and I had broke and was in the process of running out the table. As I was getting down to my last couple of balls he started talking to the cueball to "hold-up hold-up" or "skate_skate" seeing that I was going to be slightly off position. The first time he did it I kind of shook my head and figured he had just forgotten himself. (This runout was very important to me as I am in first place in runouts in this particular league and I am only 2 ahead of the second place guy, and my friend knows this ). Then I shoot my last ball before the 8 and i have to play straight in shape on it to have any chance to make the 8 as I only have a half-side pocket to work with. I under hit it a bit and he starts yellin at the CB again to "hold_up!" I was a little angry but I tried to shake it off, but I did end up missing the 8. I never said anything to him as he is a good friend of mine and didnt want to cause a problem or look like I was making excuses for missing but he should have known better he is a very advanced player

04-02-2002, 12:30 PM
This is kinda of on the topic. Earl Strickland is about to lose his lead in a race to 120 for $100k against Efren. Earl gets out of his seat walks up to Efren while he was studying a possible shot and says "your going to shot that ball in that pocket?" What a loser.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 12:38 PM
Thanks Steve,
I don't think I am as easily sharked as I was long ago.. I've seen most of these moves before and have been able to overcome them..but it still is good to let other people know about them and how to respond,.. don't you agree.

cheesemouse
04-02-2002, 12:45 PM
The guy starts to hit balls on a neighboring table.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 12:49 PM
In tournaments, hitting balls on a nearby table when it is not your turn is considered a foul.

cheesemouse
04-02-2002, 12:51 PM
Tom,
I know but you have to complain first.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 01:02 PM
You don't have to complain if its a referred match..

cheesemouse
04-02-2002, 01:11 PM
Tom,
In that case the guy would have sharked himself /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

04-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Tom, although it would be great to be a shark-proof player, sharking is sadly a big part of many player's strategy to disrupt their opponent's shooting rythym. Try as we may, as a shooter it's honestly quite hard for most of us to successfully and totally block it out and ignore it. All knowledgeable players know what sharking is, and they are all very familiar with all the subtle methods as well - even though they may act totally innocent when you accuse them of it. The key is to inform them of their questionable actions BEFORE you shoot. That way, if you miss it doesn't sound like an excuse.

Obviously when a player's line of sight on the shot they are playing is not towards the observing opponent, it's not as crucial as to that opponent's movements in the chair or standing. However, when you are even remotely in their line of site, the accepted etiquette is to remain as still as totally possible particularly once they have started in to their pre-shot ritual until the shot has been struck. Anything less I would consider sharking.

We have seen sharking at all levels here. It's really blatant when an outside player enters our weekly tourney and doesn't know the code of conduct, or may be from a place where it is an accepted part/strategy of the game. It's really amazing to me to see some of the things these players do - including approaching the end of the table to prepare for racking, starting to retrieve balls from the pockets, grabbing the rack, some verbal communication on the lines of giving you the impression you've already won the game - even though it doesn't include a concession, etc., etc.

Other players don't understand the concept of sitting in a chair while their opponent is shooting and constantly wander around the table, chalking their cue - always managing to be in the player's line of sight behind a pocket when the crucial shot comes up. I think the one single subtle action that bothers me just about the worst is the opponent who (during my run at the table) comes to the table to take a piece of chalk and chalks his cue - as if he's preparing for when I miss. I bear down to make extra sure he doesn't ever get the chance - or at least if he does he's looking at an extremely tough shot (LOL). - Chris in NC

PoolFan
04-02-2002, 02:57 PM
One move I hate is when a player misses a shot and as you go to the table, your opponent grabs the chalk to chalk his/her cue.

Most of the time, it's a bad habit the player got into, but come on.

Jay M
04-02-2002, 03:06 PM
I'm guilty of that one. I always chalk my cue when I walk up to the table, before every shot and when I leave the table. If I'm leaving and the other player doesn't have chalk near them, I'll hand them the one I just used.

The variation to this that I hate is when the other player picks up a piece of chalk as I am reaching for the same cube or when they take the chalk back to their seat with them and set it on the table. That one does bother me when there aren't any of the cubes left and I look over to see a small pile of them on the table.

The most blatant and often used shark is the one where the player is somewhere near the line of the shot and they reach over to pick up their drink and take a drink while you are shooting, creating motion behind the shot.

Jay M

cheesemouse
04-02-2002, 03:20 PM
Don't you just hate when right at the back of your final stroke the guy trys to tackle you? /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif Sorry, I know better. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif http://images.animfactory.com/animations/creatures/devils/devil_pointing_right_md_wht.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 07:45 PM
I would like to see Tournament Directors make statements (and some do) about where the non-shooting player is suppose to be. Like, in a chair provided, and sitting still, especially if the shooter is in the act of shooting. And maintaining respect for your opponent, by only speaking about match/game subjects when inbetween shots.

Failure to abide, results in DisQualification.
Do you think this is too much of a penalty for Sharking?
I don't.

04-02-2002, 09:33 PM
Can you request that your opponent move from your view, at least on game winning shots???sid

04-03-2002, 01:14 AM
All of these are good posts guys, we have all experienced them, and i am guilty of a few, and sometimes it takes an outsider to tell you that you are doing them, because you dont notice yourself doing some of them, or at least i dont. I do chaulk up after i have missed a shot,as i am leaving the table, but i dont take the only piece of chalk to do it. I tend to be a loud person sometimes, not real loud, but probably too loud for some of the people around me in tournament matches, thats something i have to watch. Also i tend to discuss my opponents shots with them after they miss, only with friends usually, but others in the tournament probably here me. What i hate is when your opponents friends try to sit too close to the table you are playing your match on, and you feel like you have to manuver around them. Where i play there is about 6 feet between tables, probably alot of places like that but really there should be more room. Actually the room i play in has an exellent spectator spot, it has a loft right over all of the tables, where you can see all of the tables well but not too many take advantage of this area. Also i hate when you are trying to have a serious set with someone, maybe gambling and 5 of your friends are sitting there talking and are too loud and using your name while your are down on a shot, and you wonder what they are talking about, which throws off your consentration. Oh here is a good one too. Your opponent brings his fan club with him, and they are talking trash like" he should beat this guy easy or some other remark" while your in a match. The problem in alot of rooms is they are too small to allow spectators to view from a distance, so you have 10 onlookers too close to your table. Oh here is another one used by a few in my room. You are beating them and they are missing balls they shouldnt miss and they get mad and start slamming stuff around to try to make you feel un comfortable, like man i better walk around like i am on egg shells. I hate that one, and i drill them that much harder, if i can, and usually never play them again. The way i see it, if you cant be a gentleman about losing then i dont want to play you.
Well that was fun, but i am sure we didnt get them all. lol

Oh how about leaving in the middle of a set, just to chat with a buddy, not to go to the restroom but just to chat. especially right in the middle of a game. OOooHHH that burns me up!! I have been known to miss and take another turn while they were off chatting, just as if i never missed. OOOpps!! If thry dont care anymore about our match than that, it serves them right. Especially if we are paying by time. Ok i have rambled long enough. lol

Lewie

Rod
04-03-2002, 01:46 AM
The Gunfighter

In the days of the Wild West, there was a young cowboy
who wanted more than anything to be the greatest gunfighter in the world.

He practiced every minute of his spare time, but he knew that he wasn't yet first-rate and that there must be something he was doing wrong.

Sitting in a saloon one Saturday night, he recognized an elderly man seated at the bar who had the reputation of being the fastest gun in the West in his day.

The young cowboy took the seat next to the old-timer, bought him a drink, and told him the story of his great ambition.

"Do you think you could give me some tips?" he asked.

The old man looked him up and down and said, "Well,
for one thing you're wearing your gun too high. Tie the holster a little lower down on your leg."

"Will that make me a better gunfighter?" asked the young man.

"Sure will," said the old-timer. The young man did as he was told, stood up, whipped out his .44 and shot the bow tie off the piano player.

"That's terrific!" said the cowboy, "Got any more tips for me?"

"Yep," said the old man, "cut a notch out of your holster where the hammer hits it. That'll give you a smoother draw."

"Will that make me a better gunfighter?" asked the younger man.

"You bet it will," said the old-timer. The young man took out his knife, cut the notch, stood up, drew his gun in a blur, and shot a cufflink off the piano player.

"Wow!" said the cowboy, "I'm learnin' somethin' here. You got any more tips?"

The old man pointed to a large can in a corner of the saloon. "See that axle grease over there? Coat your gun with it."

The young man went over to the can and smeared the grease on the barrel of his gun.

"No," said the old-timer, "I mean smear it all over the gun, handle and all."

"Will that make me a better gunfighter?" asked the young man.

"No," said the old timer, "..but when Wyatt Earp gets done playin' the piano, and he shoves that gun up your ass it won't hurt as much.

I thought we should have a laugh!

Now to the post, not to much bothers me, pretty lucky huh!

Well one thing does bother me a bit. That one thing would be a cell phone, and the ear it's attached to.
What a lack of respect, those people have. They take them everywhere and disrupt others. Leave the dam things in your car, especially if your playing pool and makng everyone wait for your "special" conversation!

Time to grease up the phone!!!

Ralph S.
04-03-2002, 01:55 AM
How about the subtle cough right when you are in the process of delivering the stroke hit to the cue ball. I really hate that one.
Ralph S.

Vagabond
04-03-2002, 02:37 AM
Hello Mates,
It appears that many of u don`t like sharking.U better learn to live with that.Sharking is here to stay.It is not going away.Even some tournament directors don`t do any thing about that.In the past I said that these sharking people SHOULD BE IN THE BOTTOM OF the ocean and should be eaten by real Sharks.LOL
Hey Tom , here is one looking like unintentional:when u are about to shoot the key ball your opponent`s lady friend uncrosses her legs.

Vagabond

Chris Cass
04-03-2002, 04:38 AM
Sounds like two shots to me. LOL
C.C.~~get my mind out of the gutter, I know.

Doctor_D
04-03-2002, 06:49 AM
Good morning:

I see that happening alot. So it is for that reason, as well as to avoid any unpleasant situations and the unleasing of my Italian / Irish temper, I bring my own chalk and carry it in my pocket while shooting.

Dr. D.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-03-2002, 09:40 AM
I can top that.. I was playing in a local handicapped singles tournament. There was a very good looking lady pool player I had matched up against, and I was running out and she came up to me and said she was so excited that her heart was beating real fast.. she grabbed my hand and put it on her breast and said. "feel it?" .... I lost everything for a week..

04-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Jay, if you make a point to always chalk your cue before every shot, then why bother chalking your cue after you miss or play safety on your way to the chair - which is the precise time that your opponent will be looking for and needing that same chalk. Is there really a need to chalk your cue twice between shots? IMO it's just a bad habit as far as table etiquette that you need to break. - Chris in NC

Doctor_D
04-03-2002, 09:57 AM
Good morning:

Wow, I have to remember that one !!!

Talk about taking your "male" opponent's mind off the game!

Dr. D.

04-03-2002, 10:05 AM
I thought of one more tactic that really bugs me. When my opponent chooses on the spur of the moment to take a restroom break when I have control of the table - sometimes even in the middle of a game or a run.

Of course I can opt to shoot while he's gone, but just don't feel quite right doing it. I'm forced to stop playing and wait for them to return, usually offsetting my rythym. Of course the best way to break him of this habit is to rake the balls to the foot of the table and throw the rack on the table to greet him upon his return (LOL). - Chris in NC

Tom_In_Cincy
04-03-2002, 10:09 AM
That's a good one. And I like to inform my opponent, that he must wait til it is his turn to take a break.. If he doesn't like it.. he can complain to the TD. I would have to wait anyway.. I just like to reverse the stall, and make him overcome this delay.. I can dish it out also.. and in this case.. I think it would be ok..

Wally_in_Cincy
04-03-2002, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Jay M:</font><hr> I'm guilty of that one. I always chalk my cue when I walk up to the table, before every shot and when I leave the table. If I'm leaving and the other player doesn't have chalk near them, I'll hand them the one I just used. <hr></blockquote>

Jay,

I'm with Chris on this one. That's a bad habit. It's unnecessary and borders on rudeness.

04-03-2002, 04:12 PM
[quote=RodWell one thing does bother me a bit. That one thing would be a cell phone, and the ear it's attached to.

<hr></blockquote>

i made a big discovery a few years ago. if i left the fone in the car then people could not bother me and i would have more fun playing pool. plus, people tend to quit calling when they learn you don't drag the thing with you everywhere. 99% of those important calls aren't.

dan

SpiderMan
04-03-2002, 05:33 PM
I am really annoyed by the persons who begin reaching into the pockets as you prepare to shoot your last ball, or sometimes a shot or two before the last ball. Luckily, this doesn't seem to be a very common practice among the shooters I play with. But there was this salesman that always challenged me when I was at the PH across the street at lunch .... loud, obnoxious, and always started pulling balls early. Finally I began responding by standing up, reaching into a pocket myself, and rolling the balls downtable toward the racking area in such a way that they disturbed the lay of the remaining shots. When asked why I did that, I just replied "you conceded". That cures the problem after a few "concessions".

I'm also not fond of players who stand at the table while I'm shooting. Around here (Dallas), the practice is so common with Mexican and oriental players that I think perhaps it is not considered sharking "back home" to those particular groups. If four Mexicans are sharing a table, two playing and two waiting, and the shooter is on the 8-ball, all three of the others will probably be leaning on the rail by the called pocket. Same with Filipinos, it just seems to be accepted protocol.

Perhaps if I played in Manilla or Juarez they'd think I was sharking because I stay in my chair and don't engage in all the back-and-forth.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-03-2002, 05:43 PM
Illustrates the old "double standard". If you'd sharked her by "showing" her how excited you were, you'd be in jail /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I can top that.. I was playing in a local handicapped singles tournament. There was a very good looking lady pool player I had matched up against, and I was running out and she came up to me and said she was so excited that her heart was beating real fast.. she grabbed my hand and put it on her breast and said. "feel it?" .... I lost everything for a week.. <hr></blockquote>

04-03-2002, 05:54 PM
Per T.E. Rules.
We made it very explicit that .. if a player leaves the playing area ( restroom, etc. ) while the opponent is at the table during their inning .. that the opponent is playing "unobserved". In fact .. we state to the "missing" player that if they ask the T.D. to observe while they are away .. the T.D. does NOT comply with the request. Simply stated .. the only legal "break" during a match can be taken during "your" inning at the table. The player at the table should not be sharked or interupted .. nor quit playing while the "illegal" break is being taken. I have placed many players on a first warning for a flagrant foul if they cause an interuption to the "legal" player at the table .. I consider this sharking !! We have called matches "concluded" ( loss of match ) before .. when an opponent leaves the area unnanounced to anyone .. gone for 10-15 or so minutes and returns amazed that we called the match ( McCready had this happen by us ). The proper way is to notify the T.D. that you must go to the restroom .. ( and never interfere w/player at the table ). That way .. the T.D. can observe when player has concluded their inning and explain that their opponent "HAD" to use restroom. I have also seen an opponent finish/win a game and ( rack your own rules in T.E. ) rack, break and be in another game when the missing player returned.
John McChesney, Texas Express

#### leonard
04-17-2002, 08:01 AM
How would you like to be playing golf with Tiger and everytime he hits a bad shot he goes through his antics. I think his attitude is the biggest sharking going on in Sports today. I just wish he could have played pool/golf with Charlie the Bear. ####