PDA

View Full Version : The Break

The Watchdog
07-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Is it more important to make the one ball, or to have shape on the two ball(or next ball)? Or would a true safety break be king, for instance, cueball top rail, one ball bottom rail, with the pack in between? Are there any oddsmakers out there?

Bassn7
07-22-2003, 03:01 PM
Cue ball dead center hit into the one ball from the middle of the table. With perfect "slide" to the rack, you should make a ball and have the cue ball and 1 ball near each other for the first shot. Cue ball and 1 ball postion after the break is the key, not a hard smashing random break.

UGOTACTION
07-22-2003, 03:04 PM
PERSONALLY THE WAY I BREAK I BREAK TO MAKE THE WING BALL AND I PLAY THE ONE BALL IN THE CORNER. IF I NEW HOW TO USE THAT POOL TABLE DIAGRAM THING I WOULD SHOW YOU. BUT ITS HARD TO PULL SHAPE ON THE TWO BALL WHEN YOUR NOT EXACTLY SURE WHERE ITS GOING TO GO... I BREAK TO MAKE THE OPPOSITE WING BALL IN THE CORNER POCKET THE SECOND BALL, "RIGHT BEHIND THE ONE BALL" IN THE OPPOSITE SIDE AND I SIT MY CUEBALL DOWN IN THE CENTER OF THE TABLE SO THAT I CAN HAVE A CLEAN SHOT AT THE ONE BALL IN THE CORNER. THEN I RUN OUT. (OR ATTEMPT TO). NOT SURE IF THIS IS HELPFULL TO YOU BUT IT WORKS FOR ME.

UTAddb
07-22-2003, 04:02 PM
First of all I would read David Sapolis's article at azbilliards.com-I think the title is "Breaking to win." Since the 1 (and the 9) is the only ball that is racked the same, you want to control it and have it for your first shot.

bolo
07-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Don't assume because you try a safety break you will get the best of it. You have just thrown away the chance to keep the other guy in the chair. Suppose he is Archer, do you really want him coming to the table? Better to break and run out.

Mike H
07-23-2003, 05:56 AM
I like breaking from the box, playing to make a wing ball and playing the 1 down toward the bottom corner (whichever side I'm breaking from. You're better off trying to make a ball on the break, even if you can't control the 1 ball. Trying to play a safe break against a quality player is dangerous at best...you'll rarely get the best of it.