PDA

View Full Version : WPC Equipment

PoolFan
07-22-2003, 07:27 PM
I've been watching the 2003 World Pool Championships on TV. I'm surprised at how big the pockets are at this event. You'd think for a World Championship event, the pockets would be tight. Yet, they are not and I've watch many balls slop into the pockets.

Has anyone noticed the same? What do you think?

Ross
07-22-2003, 10:20 PM
I saw some of the shots you are likely talking about, and some of the shots that fell would have jawed on the Diamond tables I'm used to. But it appears to me that the pockets are actually tight. It's just the new cloth they use at major tournaments. Have you ever played on a table with Simonis with only a few days use? Balls shot at a even a moderately shallow angle down the rail fall even if they touch the rail quite a bit above the pocket, even on very tight Diamond Pro pockets. They just slide right on in due to the slick cloth.

When coming more directly at the pocket, the new cloth doesn't factor in much, and the tight pockets are a challenge, new cloth or not.

cheesemouse
07-23-2003, 06:01 AM
Ross,

It would be nice for TV coverage of pool if they spent some time in the pre-game show discribing the 'conditions'. In the pre-game show of nearly all golf coverage they spend some time telling viewers what the playing conditions are so the viewer can better imagine the shots. In the general public of pool viewers (those that don't play a lot) there is a misconception that playing condition are the same on all tables or that conditions never change in playing pool. Those of us that play a lot of pool know this is not so...

An example in my mind would be one of the announcers standing by a corner pocket with a couple balls showing the open size of the pocket and explaining what this means for the players and then the announcer might add that the cloth is new and the tv lights are hot adding a discription of how all this effects play...it would just be a nice touch and add to the knowledge base of the viewers...JAT... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ross
07-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Cheese,
I agree completely- great idea. Tidbits and info like that would make the shows more engaging. The more you know about a sport or competition, the more interesting it becomes.
Luke Riches and Pat Fleming - are you reading this?