PDA

View Full Version : I just played in the stupidest 9-ball tournament

nhp
07-22-2003, 11:29 PM
I went to a pool hall I have never visited before yesterday. They had a 9-ball tournament going on, so I decided to join. They played me as an A player, which is the highest rating you can get. The owner of the poolhall, who also decided to play in the tournament, plays just about my level. For some reason, he is rated a "B". This is the format of the tourney: Race to 5, single elimination, loser breaks. There is no 3-foul rule. An "A" player gives a "B" player the 8-ball, a "C" player the 7, 8, 9, and a "D" player the 6,7,8,9. If they are pocketed on the break, it's a win for the player who is getting spotted. Needless to say I lost pretty quickly. It was the worst 10 bucks I ever spent! But I'm going back next week /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HalSmith
07-23-2003, 03:54 AM
Why in the world would you go back to a tournament that is run like that . There is no way you can even hope of winning . unless after you don't win after so many trys that they rerank you. Just my opinion , but I wouldn't give the guy any of my money when it rig so far against you. ----Smitty

rackmup
07-23-2003, 04:08 AM
In Gilbert, AZ. I once played in a tournament with similarly "stupid" rules. The lesser skill level players, depending on their "ranking", would get 1 or 2 ball-in-hand shots at any point during their match as well as getting a 7,8, or 9 ball spot.

Imagine...your opponent hasn't used his BIH shots yet, pockets the 8 but gets horrible, impossible shape on the nine and he gets to pick up whitey and place it anywhere he/she wants!

The higher skill level players suffered an automatic loss if they snapped in the 9 on the break or scratched more than twice or rode the 9-ball in.

The cloth on the tables (9' GC's) resembled that of light blue silk curtains (what you might find in a Pimp's home) and was so slick you couldn't get any draw on the ball and the object balls skidded more often than they rolled.

Needless to say, I wasted that ten dollars only once.

Regards,

Ken (some places just ought to refrain from holding tournaments and instead, should host "Stupid Pet Trick" contests.)

nhp
07-23-2003, 05:49 AM
Actually, I'm going back there to gamble with the owner /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
He is a very friendly guy and we both agreed to play some $50 sets just for fun next time I come in. Apparently to him $50 is pocket change /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fred Agnir
07-23-2003, 06:23 AM
Our local league has it set up that a high rated player has to give up the 8-ball to the lesser rated player. But not in any way you've ever heard of possibly. When they get to the 8-ball, they can either shoot at the 8-ball or shoot at the 9-ball directly. So, there's no way to play a lock safety on the last two balls for the higher player.

Fred

UWPoolGod
07-23-2003, 07:44 AM
I have also played in something similar. If they don't know who you are they always rank you as an A player because they don't want their tourney "robbed" by someone who comes in off the street and starts running racks claiming to be a C player.
In the one I played though, games were spotted on the wire not balls. So since they classified me as an A player I had to spot everybody three games in a race to 5 when playing C players (which most were). No way to overcome that at the time when I was still a low B player. Now it may not be so bad.

Sid_Vicious
07-23-2003, 09:48 AM
We have a similiar format at a new tourny up in Plano. This tournament has only been in existence for a short time and yet it is nearly impossible to get into if you aren't there early. The ratings go all the way to A+++, which is semi pro or a road player's ranking and they have to give the 6 out. The guy running it didn't want the tournament to go like most all the others around here,,,the cash sucked up by the roving numbers of hustlers which eventually find the easy pickin's. All in all this particular tournament has collected very many average players, a few big hitters and lots of C players. The LD in this case has opted to rank himself an A+++, it is an automatic ranking system so you'll move up a notch in your ranking once you've finish 1st or 2nd, 2 weeks in a row.

I personally find it a fun tournament to play in, and apparently so does a lot of other local shooters by the fact that you won't get in if you're not there early...sid

nhp
07-24-2003, 06:34 AM
I used to play a local tournament that went by A B C D E rankings, and every unfamiliar face was automatically ranked a C. We would first ask how good he plays, and of course if he said really good we would make him an A, but most of the time we would make them a C. If someone broke and started running two or three packs, then we would adjust their rating in the middle of the match.