PDA

View Full Version : What is the most $ you've ever gambled for

nhp
07-23-2003, 05:55 AM
I've played some 9-ball $250 sets $50 per game before. This is not much to most people but you gotta understand I work part time and go to school full time /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif so to me thats alot. How about anyone else?

BillPorter
07-23-2003, 05:59 AM
9-ball for $20 a game doesn't sound like much, but it was 1962, so it would be about $120 in today's money. At the time, I felt like I was playing for huge money.

UWPoolGod
07-23-2003, 07:46 AM
9ball $20/rack..and sets for $100 are all I have done. I also was going to school full time and paid my way through college so I never had any extra money to burn.

Rich R.
07-23-2003, 07:50 AM
The most I have ever played for was 9-ball, $100 per rack.
Of course, that was sometime around 1968 or 1970. Adjusting for inflation, that may be some serious money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
07-23-2003, 08:09 AM
$20 a rack is my limit.

Keith...are you going to put us all in our place here???

pooljunkie73
07-23-2003, 08:18 AM
I played $100 a game in 8-ball and i played a set of 9-ball for $2000.I had a backer for the 9-ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Perk
07-23-2003, 08:28 AM
I have played 100.00/game in 8ball...but as far as 9ball goes, I only play sets for anything considerable. When I gamble, I make sure I have 3 barrells to throw minimum..so that can go FAST in a per rack setting 9ball....:)

Rod
07-23-2003, 09:45 AM
I always get a kick out of threads like this. Why anyone would care one way or the other what someone has played for is what I find amusing. That's just me because I've been asked and overheard it so many times. Keith here I'm sure has probably been asked 1000's of times literally. If I said a 200 a game or $1000 sets it may seem small compared to what some guys play for now. So its not a big deal really. But if the time frame was 60's to mid 70's it may lift an eyebrow. Over a thousand many years ago.

Since I quit smoking over a week ago I wouldn't bet a plug nickel on my game. Thats ok, I might live long enough to bet another day. LOL

Rod

Deeman
07-23-2003, 10:16 AM
Rod,

You got it! Me, too much, too many times!

Dee

Barbara
07-23-2003, 10:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Since I quit smoking over a week ago I wouldn't bet a plug nickel on my game. Thats ok, I might live long enough to bet another day. LOL

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Rod! I think that's great you quit!

You may experience some lack of intrest and/or concentration while you're getting over this, but in a couple months you'll find that you can concentrate for longer periods of time and more sharply, too.

I hope this works out for ya!!

Barbara~~~quit 3 1/2 years ago... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
07-23-2003, 10:48 AM
Hey Barbara,

Lack of interest? I can't remember long enough to know if I was interested or not. LOL I went to my non smoking class last week. It was three days after I quit. We had to blow into a meter that shows how much carbon dioxide? was in our lungs. I couldn't remember how to work the thing from the week prior. I don't even try to play pool yet since my last outing, the mind just wandered too much.

Thanks for your support, I know it is the best move I've made in many years. I allready feel much better.

Rod

tateuts
07-23-2003, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Since I quit smoking over a week ago I wouldn't bet a plug nickel on my game. Thats ok, I might live long enough to bet another day. LOL

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Rod,

Not to get off the subject but congrats and best wishes to you. I finally quit a few years ago after many attempts - I was heavy smoker for a very long time, and didn't want my kids to worry about me. It took me over 5 years to actually quit for good. It was, by far, the most difficult thing I have ever done.

Chris

HalSmith
07-23-2003, 06:50 PM
Rod, way to go on your quitting the smokes. Hats off to you.---Smitty

nhp
07-24-2003, 06:03 AM
Congrats to Rod, thats a real tough thing to do. I made this topic just because I'm curious of what people this day actually play for. The best players at the room I play at don't really like to bet much, and these guys can run 2 or 3 packs if they get a chance. Usually I see them play $100 dollar sets, or $100 dollar per game in one-pocket. I love to watch action, especially by better players then me, because I learn what to do on certain shots in high-pressure situations.

AndyG
07-24-2003, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I always get a kick out of threads like this. Why anyone would care one way or the other what someone has played for is what I find amusing. That's just me because I've been asked and overheard it so many times. Keith here I'm sure has probably been asked 1000's of times literally. If I said a 200 a game or $1000 sets it may seem small compared to what some guys play for now. So its not a big deal really. But if the time frame was 60's to mid 70's it may lift an eyebrow. Over a thousand many years ago.

Since I quit smoking over a week ago I wouldn't bet a plug nickel on my game. Thats ok, I might live long enough to bet another day. LOL

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

Rod, congratulations on quitting the smokes. I'm trying to work up the courage and motivation to do it again for the second time. A few years ago, I had quit for just over a year, and one night I was working (controlling) a night intercept mission with 4 F16s over the gulf. About 9 PM the #4 guy had a flameout, and crashed into the gulf. We scrambled all the rescue assets, and searched for the guy all night. About 4 AM the assistant controller lit up a Marlboro, and I said 'give me one of those', and that led to a few more. At 4:43 AM we found the pilot floating on his raft asleep waiting for someone to pick him up. He was in better shape than I was, I'd just started smoking again.

In keeping with the thread, I played 2 games of snooker for $2000 each in 1968, won both.

AndyG

Rod
07-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Andy,

All it takes is that weak moment. I've quit maybe 3 times before. This time I've convinced myself I have to stay quit. Walking around with an oxygen bottle doesn't paint a pretty picture. I had a couple of drags off a cig, boy it was like heaven! I felt so guilty and ashamed I threw it away after two puffs. Well guess what, I was dreaming, whew. LOL

Speaking of snooker, some of my best games have been on a 12 footer, playing golf. Thanks for the congrats, and really think about that smoking deal. Actually this time for me is going pretty smooth.

Rod

SPetty
07-24-2003, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> All it takes is that weak moment.
I had a couple of drags off a cig, boy it was like heaven! I felt so guilty and ashamed I threw it away after two puffs. Well guess what, I was dreaming, whew. <hr /></blockquote>Good luck with quitting, Rod. Convince yourself that if you go, say, four weeks without a smoke, you'll never ever smoke again. Make yourself really understand that after that date, you are a total non-smoker, and it is truly purely a choice you're making if you smoke again (not a real good choice).

As for dreaming, it's been over 11 years since I've had a smoke, and I still dream I'm smoking on occasion. It's truly scary (and enjoyable!).

I wish you the best.

ted harris
07-24-2003, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> I've played some 9-ball $250 sets $50 per game before. This is not much to most people but you gotta understand I work part time and go to school full time /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif so to me thats alot. How about anyone else? <hr /></blockquote>
$500- a game one-satchel, 9-rocket, and straight pool!

ted harris
07-24-2003, 11:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>Since I quit smoking over a week ago I wouldn't bet a plug nickel on my game. Thats ok, I might live long enough to bet another day. LOL<hr /></blockquote>
Congratulations on quitting smoking! Hang in there, as it will take a month or so before you start to feel better!

Rod
07-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Thanks SPetty,

I have convinced myself and I think that is the real issue. I go to a support group every Thursday afternoon. I know the reinforcement I get there helps back up my decision to quit forever. I actually enjoy the meeting. Sadly I sure don't get any support at the home front or with certain friends. They like to do their b/s kidding or just don't care. The lady I live with has not said one word. Oh well, it just gives me strength never to light up again. It also tells me who my friends are, not that I didn't already know.

Rod

HalSmith
07-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Rod , you talking about your friends, let me tell you a good one. Iwas just out of the hospital having throat cancer removed when my best friend for the last 30 yrs. came over and with all the ash trays out of the house. Lights up a cig. right next to me . I tell him that we don't smoke in the house and I must be in clean air, he tells me that he's a friend and that shouldn't apply to him. I told him to get out of my home and havn't seen him since . thats been 20 yrs. ago He wasn't a real friend when push came to shove. thanks for reading and tell your people to stay away.---Smitty

snipershot
07-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Staying on topic... this February I had $160 riding on a single shot, not alot of money but on one shot it can seem like alot. It was during a large game of three ball and the first time I had ever experienced immense pressure, it was a length of the table thin cut and I nailed it, my head almost hit the roof after making that one /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

stick8
07-25-2003, 09:27 AM
I quit drinking 30yrs ago, smoking 2mohths ago, chasing wild women20yrs ago. but I will me damed if you are going to take my gambling on pool away!!!!to each his on!!!!!!!! OLD MAN STICK

Vagabond
07-25-2003, 08:05 PM
Hey Ted,
U are a good sport.Cheers
Vagabond