PDA

View Full Version : Water on shaft???

Deniel
07-23-2003, 06:36 AM
Did anyone watch Steve Davis vs Earl Strickland match (an excellent match that one /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I noticed Steve Davis grab his towel ,soaked it wet and then wiped it down his cue from the ferulle all the way down to the but and quickly wipe it again using a dry towel, and a few minutes later Earl did the same. Is that a good thing to do?? I've been told numerous time, not to use anything water based (let alone water ^__^) to clean the shaft, but those two did it to their shaft.

Ok Earl uses Cuetec and assuming he also uses it's crappy shaft, it's fiberglass coated (hence more water resistance, yes?), but Davis uses John Parish cue and I really doubt it's coated with fiberglass as well..

Deniel /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

pooljunkie73
07-23-2003, 06:40 AM
As long as the towel isn't soaked,it's o.k.

Damp rag is just takin the grime off the cue,use a clean one to dry it.

Fred Agnir
07-23-2003, 06:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deniel:</font><hr> Did anyone watch Steve Davis vs Earl Strickland match (an excellent match that one /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I noticed Steve Davis grab his towel ,soaked it wet and then wiped it down his cue from the ferulle all the way down to the but and quickly wipe it again using a dry towel, and a few minutes later Earl did the same. Is that a good thing to do?? I've been told numerous time, not to use anything water based (let alone water ^__^) to clean the shaft, but those two did it to their shaft.<hr /></blockquote> I've done it with shafts that are many many years old without any seemingly adverse effects. I could be very wrong, but I wouldn't know it either way. Anymore, I just wash my hands, dry them with a paper towel, and use that towel to clean my shaft. The used paper towel has just the right amount of dampness, I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok Earl uses Cuetec and assuming he also uses it's crappy shaft, it's fiberglass coated (hence more water resistance, yes?), but Davis uses John Parish cue and I really doubt it's coated with fiberglass as well..

Deniel /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>If you've ever seen Earl's cues up close, he's sanded the fiberglass cladding off. So, his cues are probably the most prone to water damage than anyones.

Does Steve Davis use ash shafts? Does that make any difference? Tony?

Fred

pooljunkie73
07-23-2003, 07:03 AM
Fred, i know most snooker shaft's are ash.Ash has a deeper grain in the wood,if you use too much water wouldn't it soak in deeper causing warpedge?

UWPoolGod
07-23-2003, 07:22 AM
I have done that a lot to try and keep the shaft halfway clean during a match. The only thing that I have seen is that it may raise the grain a little on the wood making it rougher. Then I just burnish it down smooth again.

As to pros who use Cuetecs, I bet they are not using the full figerglass coated shafts. I think Alison Fisher uses a Predator on hers, but I may be wrong.

SpiderMan
07-23-2003, 07:27 AM
I think it's OK to use a little water, provided you get it dry quickly. I always take my cue with me to the john, then after washing and drying my hands I take the last damp paper towel and wipe down the shaft. Then I quickly burnish it with a dry towel. I always notice some color coming off on the damp towel, so I must be doing some good. If I were home, I'd use rubbing alcohol instead because it evaporates much faster.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deniel:</font><hr> Did anyone watch Steve Davis vs Earl Strickland match (an excellent match that one /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif) I noticed Steve Davis grab his towel ,soaked it wet and then wiped it down his cue from the ferulle all the way down to the but and quickly wipe it again using a dry towel, and a few minutes later Earl did the same. Is that a good thing to do?? I've been told numerous time, not to use anything water based (let alone water ^__^) to clean the shaft, but those two did it to their shaft.

Deniel /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

L.S. Dennis
07-23-2003, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't recommend this procedure unless you had a lathe there so you could immediately spin the shaft and dry it out thoroughly with a towel. Water will tend to swell the wood and leave less slick which at that point will defeat the purpose.

Fred Agnir
07-23-2003, 07:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote UWPoolGod:</font><hr> As to pros who use Cuetecs, I bet they are not using the full figerglass coated shafts. I think Alison Fisher uses a Predator on hers, but I may be wrong. <hr /></blockquote>It's been a few years, but I shot with Allison's cue and it definitely had the fiberglass on it.

Fred

Pizza Bob
07-23-2003, 08:34 AM
Just helps take the grime off. One must be careful to rub it dry, vigorously, to burnish the shaft and close the pores, after a wet wipe down. Davis' cue is a Parris &lt;http://www.parris-cues.co.uk/index.html&gt; and may have an ash shaft (ala snooker cues), but John does use maple also. If ash, John usually uses a linseed oil finish, so I would imagine water absorbtion wouldn't be any more of a problem with them than it would be for a close-grained maple. Just my $.02 worth.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Deniel
07-23-2003, 10:11 PM
Ok great advice guys, I'll probably stay away from water as my shaft maker strongly advice against so, but alcohol is definetely something I can use.

ps: I always thought it was "Parish" LOL, my mistake ^__^

Deniel