PDA

View Full Version : ABS uncapped ferrule -What am I missing?

Magog
07-23-2003, 08:40 AM
I was wondering if I should switch my ferrule. I play with a le pro tip, and a 1 inch uncapped ABS ferrule(glued) and a solid maple shaft. My cue produces quite a soft hit even with a SS joint. Is my performance hampered by this type of ferrule? All opinions are appreciated.

Cueless Joey
07-23-2003, 09:10 AM
ABS ferrules are very soft. They also get scratched easily and will break eventually. The problem with soft ferrules is you have to hit the cb a little harder to power it since the soft ferrules collapse too fast.
If you want the best ferrule, that would be the new Ivor-X by Kerry Zylr. Ivor-X ferrules are capped and threaded. They hit like ivory but does not break like ivory.
It also stays clean and polishes very easily without wax.

Rod
07-23-2003, 09:25 AM
As Joey suggests, changing to a different ferrule material can firm up the hit. It can make a little difference. Along with that you should change to a harder tip if you really want a noticable difference. Lepro tips are not noted for being hard tips. Changing tip hardness has the single most effect of how a cue hits.

Rod

L.S. Dennis
07-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Where does one go to find one of these ivor-x ferrules?
They sound interesting.

sprinter
07-24-2003, 09:22 AM
Also what is the price difference between and ivory and an ivory-x ferrule?

BillPorter
07-24-2003, 10:01 AM
sprinter, Ivor-X ferrules run about $4 while ivory ferrules go for $15-$20 (at least from the supplies I checked). Hope this helps.

BLACKHEART
07-24-2003, 10:10 AM
I don't know what other cuemakers charge for IVORY FERRULES but I charge $50.
I recently made a $900 Q for a guy who loved the looks of the Q, but after 2-3 weeks called me to say he was having a hard time getting used to it & wanted to know if I knew anyone who would want to buy it. He said it gave him way too much english(he plays way out on the edges of the Q ball). I took the Q back, put on a harder ferrule & instantly he fell in love with the hit. So remember that the ferrule has a lot to do with the HIT of the Q...JER