PDA

View Full Version : new cue care...

Geoff
07-23-2003, 12:36 PM
Hi everyone, I have just recieved my first really nice cue, nothing custom, but a high end viking. This was a considerable purchase for me since I am also paying my way through law school. So, before I go play tonight, is there any thing I need to do before I use it, I want this cue to last. I have a good sturdy case, and I know scotchbrite and sandpaper have no place near a cue shaft, I wash my hands before each set, and wipe the shaft w/a damp paper towel and then burnish w/a dry one probably once during the night. Anything else I can do to help keep this cue looking/playing great as long as possible?

Sid_Vicious
07-23-2003, 12:46 PM
Sounds like you have the fundamentals down,,,add not lending the cue out nor leaning in against the wall. Other people will surprise you how they disrespect what you've just handed them, and it's inevitable that you or someone else will back into a cue leaning against something. I dunno why, Murphy's Law I quess...sid

UWPoolGod
07-23-2003, 12:52 PM
When mine is finished I plan on chalking right. Put the butt of the cue on the floor angled with the tip towards you so the chalk dust does not fall directly down the shaft which then combines with the oil from your hands and gets in the grain. *breathes*

Does anyone use any kind of wax (Carnuba, Sexwax) on their shafts when they first get them to seal the shaft better? If so...is the shaft smooth afterward or does it feel sticky?

Fred Agnir
07-23-2003, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> Sounds like you have the fundamentals down,,,add not lending the cue out nor leaning in against the wall. Other people will surprise you how they disrespect what you've just handed them, and it's inevitable that you or someone else will back into a cue leaning against something. I dunno why, Murphy's Law I quess...sid <hr /></blockquote>My first day with my new customized cue at the college union pool hall. I guess it would have been a Level 4 Meucci Original.

I put my cue down, and someone immediately picked it up (by the shaft, no less) and brought to his friends to show. I have no idea who he was, and have no idea why anyone would have the audacity to do such a thing.

By the look on his face, he coudn't tell why I was so piss off asking him just what the f*ck he thought he was doing.

Fred &lt;~~~ getting mad at something that happened over 15 years ago

Geoff
07-23-2003, 01:18 PM
thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure there is nothing I should do today before I start using it every day. I already do the chalking thing, it madea big difference in keeping my shafts clean.
God I cant wait to get home and see what the big brown truck left me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-23-2003, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Geoff:</font><hr> ....God I cant wait to get home and see what the big brown truck left me! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Nothing says lovin' like a visit from the UPS truck

Others in the past have suggested cleaning the chalk off the tip before you put the cue in the case so the lining of the case does not get chalky. Also don't put your new cue in an old dirty case.

Wally~~has a chalky case and will probably have to trade a cue for legal services someday /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rod
07-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Geoff,

The last brown truck I had ( actually it was two ) dumped 28 yards of sand soil in the front yard!

~~~ rod, hope this helps, but knows it didn't /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif