PDA

View Full Version : Greetings.

Fast Eddie NSU
07-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Hello all. Just found this great message board and I'm already gonna ask some questions. About 10 years ago a guy came into my dad's pool hall with a cue that was a dark wood with alot of detailed handcarvings on the base. There isnt a specefic pattern to it but its really amazing. I won that cue from that guy and he was very upset even threatning me saying it was a one of a kind cue (I was 10 at the time.) and I still play with it today. About a year ago I was watching a tourney and casually shooting on some bar tables when a man asked to see the cue. He told me that it was a Masconi hand carved and that I was a moron for playing with it. I've asked several people and noone seems to know if he ever made any handcarved cues. I don't have a pic of it since I just formatted my harddrive but I will try to get one up as soon as possible. Like I said it's an all wood cue with about 30 small wood circles died with black laquer inset in the cue, with a brass joint and an ivory butt. There are no markings at all anywhere on the cue so I have no idea if im ever going to find out who made it. Any ideas on this very vague description? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
07-23-2003, 08:40 PM
Although I'm no true authority, I've been around pool cues for more than 30 yrs, and seen tens of thousands. I've NEVER seen, nor heard of any "hand carved" cues that were more than junk. However none of them had any ivory, let alone an ivory butt. Are you sure it's real ivory? I also have never heard of a Masconi cue (Mosconi, possibly...but those are not particularly valuable). Most quality cues, whether new or old, are smooth, and finished with some kind of high gloss, hard coating...both for looks and protection.
Put a picture up as soon as you can, and we can help you know, or find out!

Scott Lee

Pizza Bob
07-25-2003, 11:42 AM
While I hate to disagree with Scott, There are some rather fine, older hancarved cues. The Sampaio line of cues from Portugal and the Hiolle's from France spring to mind. When I started playing in the 60's you could by a Hoppe Pro for around $20. At that time a Sampaio Premiere brought $50. These are the cues that all the cheapo knock-offs are patterned after.

As far as the "Masconi", I would assume he meant "Mosconi" and while there were some quality cues that bore his name (Brunswick had two Mosconi models - one from ca.1965 and the other, made by Schmelke for B'wick, ca 1967). The importer Ajay bought the rights to the name and the bulk of their goods, that were so branded, were basically junk. Once you get photos, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you where to send them and maybe we can pin this down.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Scott Lee
07-25-2003, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pizza Bob:</font><hr> While I hate to disagree with Scott, There are some rather fine, older hancarved cues. The Sampaio line of cues from Portugal and the Hiolle's from France spring to mind. When I started playing in the 60's you could by a Hoppe Pro for around $20. At that time a Sampaio Premiere brought $50. These are the cues that all the cheapo knock-offs are patterned after.

Pizza Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Bob...You're right! I forgot about the Sampaio cues, and I've never seen a Hiolle cue!

Scott

Fast Eddie NSU
07-25-2003, 02:11 PM
Yes, I did mean Mosconi. Sorry it was kinda late when I typed it up. I'm still trying to get some pics up.