PDA

View Full Version : Who "takes the cake" at your pool room?

rackmup
07-24-2003, 04:07 AM
Every pool hall has at least one.

At ours he's a league player who:

<ul type="square">
Wears the glove.
Owns several different chalk holders, including the retractable key ring type.
Has sunglasses propped up on his head, even after 8PM.
[/list]

But what "takes the cake":

<ul type="square">
His personal cue case is one of those HUGE (http://www.gameroomsusa.com/stdc36.html) cases cue dealers use to carry their wares around to shows, complete with wheels and a collapsing pull handle. [/list]

Can he play? A little. How many cues does he have in that cavernous monstrosity? Three at last count.

Regards,

Ken (he may be a "cake thief" but he seems like a nice guy...just with too much expendable cash for pool gadgetry.)

Singlemalt
07-24-2003, 04:40 AM
No doubt! Got a guy who comes to the pool room, brings in 3 cases, each one has 2 cues, can't hardly run 3 balls together.

Qtec
07-24-2003, 05:41 AM
Another one who thiks he just hasnt found the right cue that will transform him into a good player /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Poor guy.

Q

pooltchr
07-24-2003, 06:09 AM
Owns cues ranging from 13 to 26 oz.
Most have screw-on tips.
Pays to have those same tips re-tipped when they wear down.
"teaches" newcommers to the room how to play.
Has a shot named after him (Fram shot is called a "Richard"
Best run to date.....2 balls.
Thinks he is the next Earl.

nhp
07-24-2003, 06:23 AM
I've seen many people like that come into the room I play at. I used to laugh at them, but now it's starting to creep me out on how many players who can't run 3 balls think they are champions, and even worse, have big mouths. I am pretty much known around the area I live at as a pretty decent player, and to the amatuers, they think I am pro. Recently I was at a friends party, just having a beer and relaxing, when a guy came up to me and told me that he had seen me playing and said I was really good. I started talking to him and told him that it takes alot of practice and patience to be good at the game. Another guy, who was apparently drunk, overheard me talking about pool. He butts in on our conversation and says "pool is all about cue-ball control", and I agreed with him. Then he asks me if I play for money, and I said yes. Then he tells me that we should play for money some time, and I said sure. A week later, I see him at a poolroom, and ask him to play, and he declines. Apparently the person who I was talking to before him told him that he had seen me run a rack of 9-ball, which to them I guess is amazing. Oh well, all talk and no play /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

griffith_d
07-24-2003, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> I've seen many people like that come into the room I play at. I used to laugh at them, but now it's starting to creep me out on how many players who can't run 3 balls think they are champions, and even worse, have big mouths. I am pretty much known around the area I live at as a pretty decent player, and to the amatuers, they think I am pro. Recently I was at a friends party, just having a beer and relaxing, when a guy came up to me and told me that he had seen me playing and said I was really good. I started talking to him and told him that it takes alot of practice and patience to be good at the game. Another guy, who was apparently drunk, overheard me talking about pool. He butts in on our conversation and says "pool is all about cue-ball control", and I agreed with him. Then he asks me if I play for money, and I said yes. Then he tells me that we should play for money some time, and I said sure. A week later, I see him at a poolroom, and ask him to play, and he declines. Apparently the person who I was talking to before him told him that he had seen me run a rack of 9-ball, which to them I guess is amazing. Oh well, all talk and no play /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

It is amazing how alcohol can talk not knowing anything and not know the destination or begining.

Griff

nhp
07-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Oh yes, I almost forgot. There is this guy who plays with a $2800 dollar Ginacue (made by ernie gutierrez), has a $500 dollar jump/break cue, has a 400 dollar Joe Porper case with his own name in huge letters on the pouch, has just about every handy pool trinket, such as a cue-extension, glove, his own personal chalk, a pool apron, etc. This guy is worse than a D player. Even worse, he talks about him hustling people at other poolhalls, but won't play anyone at my room for even 5 bucks. Now that is a chump, if you ask me.

Kato
07-24-2003, 06:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Oh yes, I almost forgot. There is this guy who plays with a $2800 dollar Ginacue (made by ernie gutierrez<hr /></blockquote>

He hustles people with a Gina Cue? Be pretty hard to sneak up on people with that set-up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kato

nhp
07-24-2003, 06:40 AM
^My thoughts exactly.

Fred Agnir
07-24-2003, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Every pool hall has at least one.

At ours he's a league player who:

<ul type="square">
Wears the glove.
Owns several different chalk holders, including the retractable key ring type.
Has sunglasses propped up on his head, even after 8PM.
[/list]

But what "takes the cake":

<ul type="square">
His personal cue case is one of those HUGE (http://www.gameroomsusa.com/stdc36.html) cases cue dealers use to carry their wares around to shows, complete with wheels and a collapsing pull handle. [/list]

Can he play? A little. How many cues does he have in that cavernous monstrosity? Three at last count.

Regards,

Ken (he may be a "cake thief" but he seems like a nice guy...just with too much expendable cash for pool gadgetry.) <hr /></blockquote> LOL!! Maybe it's me. I wear a glove in the summer sometimes if the humidity is just too much to bear. I have a pullman travel case, but I don't bring it to a pool tournament. I've got enough show-off case with the Instroke Saddle. And, since I'm such a gear whore, I've bought every pocket chalker out there, settling with the stick (Joe Porper anodized aluminum with leather holder).

Fred &lt;~~~ just got two new lenses for the Oakley

Wally_in_Cincy
07-24-2003, 07:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
....I'm such a gear whore....<hr /></blockquote>

I was wondering how you afford all that stuff /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally~~been waiting to use that line

Kato
07-24-2003, 07:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>LOL!! Maybe it's me. I wear a glove in the summer sometimes if the humidity is just too much to bear. I have a pullman travel case, but I don't bring it to a pool tournament. I've got enough show-off case with the Instroke Saddle. And, since I'm such a gear whore, I've bought every pocket chalker out there, settling with the stick (Joe Porper anodized aluminum with leather holder).

Fred &lt;~~~ just got two new lenses for the Oakley <hr /></blockquote>

Listen Fred. Perhaps you need an intevention. We'll set something up for you. I mean, a glove? Why Fred? Why? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato

Ralph S.
07-24-2003, 07:47 AM
Thats just too funny Wally. I am surprised you didnt ask Fred if his case was <font color="red"> </font color> RED.

Fred Agnir
07-24-2003, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr> Thats just too funny Wally. I am surprised you didnt ask Fred if his case was <font color="red"> </font color> RED. <hr /></blockquote> LOL!!!

Fred &lt;~~~ just the light on it, not the case

Fred Agnir
07-24-2003, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I mean, a glove? Why Fred? Why? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif<hr /></blockquote>Crazy, I know. Worse yet, I own three pool gloves. I just can't help it. And I was *this* close to getting a loud colored one, like magenta, but I didn't. But, I'm sure Mueller's will always have it waiting in the wings for me.

Fred &lt;~~~ likes it loud

Qtec
07-24-2003, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fred &lt;~~~ just the light on it, not the case

<hr /></blockquote> lol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Q

Kato
07-24-2003, 08:26 AM
So it's worse than was originally thought. We may have to get your family involved unfortunately. Awww heck, perhaps there is no hope.

Kato~~~knows Fred is the ultimate googan but 3 gloves?

PS. If Wally is the "Hamiltucky Hammer" is Fred the "Templetucky Terror"?

cycopath
07-24-2003, 11:10 AM
From the size of the potbelly on me, I'd have to say "I take the cake".

Deeman
07-24-2003, 11:19 AM
My God, take it easy on poor Fred. We all have had our moment with THE GLOVE, right? I wore one in Europe for a while but my English friends kept calling it my "protection" and my "Proflactic". Fred is an Engineer, all of us, as engineers, are garbage hounds to an extent.

If it were not for us, Joe Porper would be living in a cardboard box somewhere. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

tateuts
07-24-2003, 11:42 AM
This takes the cake.

The guy is about 60 years old and is a transvestite. He's about 6' tall, 200 pounds, wears a dress that shows his manly shaved legs, wears high heeled shoes, has a huge rack somehow, a wig, a man's face that's been surgically altered, and is an "A" player. He has a man's voice but goes into the women's bathroom.

I don't want to be cruel but playing him in tournaments is an experience from your very worst nightmares. It's hard to play your game.

Chris

Hopster
07-24-2003, 12:03 PM
The guy is about 60 years old and is a transvestite. He's about 6' tall, 200 pounds, wears a dress that shows his manly shaved legs, wears high heeled shoes, has a huge rack somehow, a wig, a man's face that's been surgically altered, and is an "A" player. He has a man's voice but goes into the women's bathroom. &lt;--Chris

Hey, it could be worse brother !! The guy could go to the mens room and be standing at the pisser next to you smiling at ya !!
Dont look a gift horse in the mouth ! lol

9 Ball Girl
07-24-2003, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> This takes the cake.

The guy is about 60 years old and is a transvestite. He's about 6' tall, 200 pounds, wears a dress that shows his manly shaved legs, wears high heeled shoes, has a huge rack somehow, a wig, a man's face that's been surgically altered, and is an "A" player. He has a man's voice but goes into the women's bathroom.

I don't want to be cruel but playing him in tournaments is an experience from your very worst nightmares. It's hard to play your game.<hr /></blockquote> Damn taking the cake! He takes the whole bakery!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Fran Crimi
07-24-2003, 09:20 PM
The Golden Q in Queens was located a few blocks from a mental institution so we'd frequently get visited by some strange guests. Half the people wouldn't even notice them. They blended right in.

One of my favorites was the cup lady who visited us every night for a year. She'd walk in the door and immediately start collecting everyone's empty coffee cups. She'd just pile them one on top of another and parade around the room holding up this pile of cups nearly to the ceiling like it was a trophy. Then she'd head over to the potted plant and have a conversation with it for awhile. Then she'd head back on the floor to get more cups and then return to the plant for some more conversation.

One year of this, Ken. One whole year.

We actually missed her when she stopped coming around. We didn't know what to do with our cups.

Fran

Hopster
07-24-2003, 09:38 PM
The Golden Q in Queens was located a few blocks from a mental institution so we'd frequently get visited by some strange guests. Half the people wouldn't even notice them. They blended right in. &lt;--Fran

Why am i not surprised in the least ???

Ralph S.
07-25-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey Fran, did you ever just consider re-filling them LOL. I just couldn't resist when you said you didn't know what to do with the empties. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

stick8
07-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Had a couple ask me good cue for the price to learn with, I show them medium price cutex, yea all for them see you tommorow, yea they show up next day with 30dollar w-wart sticks!! dumb ass ,but i didnt tell the that they will learn hard way. OLD MAN STICK

Fran Crimi
07-25-2003, 09:39 AM
LOL! Are you kidding? There were no refills at the Golden Q. At least, not unless you snuck behind the counter and got one.

You had to see it to believe it. Guys like Ray Martin, Jack Colavita and Pat Fleming scrambling to gulp down their coffee because the cup lady was headed their way. Too funny.

Fran

Fran Crimi
07-25-2003, 09:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr> The Golden Q in Queens was located a few blocks from a mental institution so we'd frequently get visited by some strange guests. Half the people wouldn't even notice them. They blended right in. &lt;--Fran

Why am i not surprised in the least ???
<hr /></blockquote>

Why am I not surprised that you're not surprised?? Haha!

Barbara
07-25-2003, 09:43 AM
"Philadelphia Joe" Veasey and Peter Rabbit.

But in a different way than you're soliciting.

Barbara

Eric.
07-25-2003, 12:34 PM
While my story isn't as good as Fran's, I think it's good for a chuckle...

Two guys walk intto Paradise Billiards. One guy is a semi-regular who comes in twice a month. He plays a little, but is about 3 balls better than a banger. This time he has his less experienced friend with him so the "expert" can teach him a few things. After getting a table and working on some shots, the less experienced guy asks his buddy
"What kind of tables are those?"

"Oh those? They're the practice tables. You know, to practice banks and stuff."

The tables he was referring to were the 3C Billiard tables!

Eric &gt;geez

nhp
07-25-2003, 07:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> This takes the cake.

I don't want to be cruel but playing him in tournaments is an experience from your very worst nightmares. It's hard to play your game.

Chris

<hr /></blockquote>

I live about 30 minutes from Burbank, and I've seen two transvestites who play pool. One of them is like the person you describe, but kind of looks like an old woman, and he/she plays pretty decent. There is another that I see often, who can barely run 3 balls. I think I have seen the person you are talking about lol!

tateuts
07-25-2003, 09:11 PM
I'm sure he's the same one. His face is unmistakable, like a really bad facelift or something. I think he plays 90 speed in USPPA. You don't want to get in a match with this guy/girl! Woah!!!

Chris

nhp
07-26-2003, 04:23 AM
That would be funny if he/she started playing on the womens' tour.

John in NH
07-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Hi Rackmup,

We have one guy that comes in once in every three weeks or so and usually he has a new cue or a new story about something that happened to him that tops anything that I have heard or said in the last year or so.

Usually he'll have a new glove or cue or a new something that he has seen that no one else has, surprisingly he is someone who is a pretty good player, and that is why he gets so much attention, he is someone who has had as many jobs as he has cues.

He is always saying that he wants to turn professional, except that he can't beat my friend or I straight up.

When he loses a match to me or my friend he always seems to have an excuse such as the music was too loud or he hasn't gotten used to his cue yet, whatever the situation is, their is always an excuse.

It's kind of scary to think that if it wasn't for my friend or I he might be believable.

Regards,

John

Mike H
07-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Barb, they'd take the cake in ANY room. And if you ever heard me and Veasey trying to negotiate a 1-P game, you'd hear the words "sissy", "coward", "thief", and "bastard" in 10 or 15 minutes than you've heard in your life. That's BEFORE stakes are discussed...LOL

Mike H
07-26-2003, 10:04 PM
There's a guy floating around Jersey somewhere now (his home room just closed its doors) who never ceases to amaze me. He's just about a bad C player, yet swears up and down he played pro speed about 5 years ago. His speed mysteriousl just dropped off the radar and never came back. Anyway, he'd be playing one-hole or 9-ball, and whack at something crazy or unpredictable, and a ball would go. He would announce to the room that he was playing the shot and explain that it was dead! He had me on the floor one night...he was playing 1-P, was frozen to the head rail, and needed 6 balls. The only 6 on the table were in an ugly cluster near the spot. He fired at the cluster, and a ball comes out and banks 3 rails across into his hole, while all the others gravitate to his pocket. He told me that he saw a dead ball in there and that it would bank 3 rails. I laughed so hard I cried.

HalSmith
07-27-2003, 04:58 AM
We have a guy at Legends, who not only heard of every big money game in the 60's -90's but was there also. I don't know how the guy slept with all the games he saw.----Smitty

griffith_d
07-27-2003, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike H:</font><hr> Barb, they'd take the cake in ANY room. And if you ever heard me and Veasey trying to negotiate a 1-P game, you'd hear the words "sissy", "coward", "thief", and "bastard" in 10 or 15 minutes than you've heard in your life. That's BEFORE stakes are discussed...LOL <hr /></blockquote>

For me, 1P is harder than 9B, it takes a lot of patience,..something I am short of,..it went out the window with my chess playing patience,...which is what 1P is.

Griff