PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here play in the USPPA?

nhp
07-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Just curious.

L.S. Dennis
07-24-2003, 07:48 AM
Yes, I've played in it for well over ten years now. It's most likely the best handicapp system here out on the west coast although Tony Annigoni it taking nation wide at this point.

If it comes out your way by all means join it and you'll have a lot of fun matching up with other handicapped players. There are also a lot of pros who are also in it, George Michaels, Corey Deuel, Rafael Martinez, and of course Tony Annigoni himself just to name a few.

If you want read more about it go to usppa.com

Hsve fun with it!

nhp
07-24-2003, 08:11 AM
Ya I played against George Michaels once and he really creeped me out.....then he sang some awful songs during the match.....

oops wrong George Michaels

UWPoolGod
07-24-2003, 08:47 AM
I was a member for about 3 months last summer in Seattle. Only one poolhall has it up there. Initially I was rated a 70, after two weeks of beating the TD (105) 5-0 I was bumped up to 105 at his discretion. Which was fine. He just didn't want to spot me any games any more. Just meant that I had to race people 5-2 most of the time. Which isn't all that hard when most of the players couldn't string together 3 balls. I just got sick of getting to the pool hall, starting at 2:00 and being there waiting for the finals at 11:00 at night. Every set with bangers going hill-hill along the way. And then what was the take...maybe $50. So I found a bar tourney that matched the entries which lasted only 3 hours tops and was easier.

Todd <-- likes staying at the PH 10 hours if there is good pool being played

L.S. Dennis
07-24-2003, 12:36 PM
I've never heard of a usppa tournament starting at 2:00 (in the afternoon?) and lasting until 11:00 at night. They do drag on a bit depending on the field but genreally they start at 7:00 in the evening and get over by 11:30 or twelve. The tournament director can do a lot to speed things up as well! I have my own ideas on how the system could be made even better but they've been doing it this way for years and it's seems to have worked fine for them. So for the moment it won't be chaged as long as it works fine.

Steve Lipsky
07-24-2003, 12:39 PM
LS,

How is your rating calculated? Is it just based on win-loss, or do you have to keep track of numerous things as the set goes on?

Thanks,
Steve

UWPoolGod
07-24-2003, 12:44 PM
Yeah the tourney would start at 2:30 and we would normally have a 18-25 player field with only 4 or 5 being above 70. So basically a banger tourney. I am not complaining about getting in the money all the time but the number of hours put in versus the take it less than minumum wage. But I guess it is still getting paid...little...to play pool.

L.S. Dennis
07-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Steve,
There's a score sheet that needs to be filled out for each match. Usually the loser of the previous match has to keep score in the next match scheduled.

The score sheet is comprised of a bunch of 'x's and 's' s the x being open shots or makeable shots while the s would indicate either a bank or a shot that has no clear pocket.

At the end of the race to 5 the x's and s's are tallied up and indicated on the score sheet next to the play's name and id number. All the score sheets at the end of the night are then sent into usppa headquartes, I think it near Sacramento these days and put into a computer. The results from the computer are then sent back to the home for next weeks tounaments. Very basically that's that way it works, again if you'd like to know more about it contact Tony Annigoni at usppa.com to learn more about it.

UWPoolGod
07-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Yeah you get initially rated by the TD to calibrate approximately what you are. If you can string together balls, play safe. Then when you play a match you either keep track of "clear shots" or if you were "safed". A safety is if you cannot see the ball...regardless of intention or luck...or if you have to bank a shot. But if you have a slim cut shot possibility or an open pocket it is a clear shot. They send the score sheets off to get calculated and your new average is computed. Then when people get matched up they compare averages and like every 15 points difference has to give up one game on the wire with a maximum of 3 games. So most of the time I played being a 105 playing 30's and 40's I had to get to 5 before they got to 2. Which made you have to bear down...one missed 9 ball by me or a snap of the 9 on the opening break by them and they are on the hill.

L.S. Dennis
07-24-2003, 01:16 PM
The 3 games on the wire (which is the maximum) is the exception not the rule. Generally the games run with a one or two games spot or the players may play even in the race to 5 all depending on what their usppa average is. There's a huge usppa tournament in Reno at the Sands that has been going on twice a year now for around 20 years now. It happens to coincide with the pro tournament up there at the same time.

nhp
07-25-2003, 07:22 PM
I am a tournament director for the USPPA down in southern california. Basically the way the system works, is there are scoresheets, and you mark down an X or an S for an open or safe shot at every inning. The way the computer calculates it is how many innings it takes a person to win the entire match. If someone plays 2 or 3 tournaments, and most of his matches are wins, with only a few X's, then his rating is going to skyrocket. When bangers play, usually I see 20-30 X's (open shots) on their score cards, so their ratings stay low.

Tony Annigoni clocked the speed (usppa rating) of some of the pros at reno. He clocked Archer, Strickland, Reyes, and Bustamante at about 200 average. Alex pagulayan, John Schmidt are around 180. Corey Deuel is in the system at a 159, but he only played 1 usppa tourney I believe. He is probably around 180-190. All the house-pros ratings are usually 110-140. These guys can play extremely well. Using this system, it shows how far I have to go if I ever wanna be as good as the pros!

nhp
07-25-2003, 07:29 PM
I find it very hard to believe that a tournament that went from 2pm to 11pm and the payout was only $50. I have hosted many tournaments with very slow matches, but we put a 90 minute time limit. We give them a 15 minute warning before their time is up. At that time, we stop the match, and whoever has more games won will move on. Even when we have small tournaments, (10-15 players) the payout is at least $80-100 for first place.

L.S. Dennis
07-25-2003, 08:14 PM
I was there the night that Corey Deuel played his one tournament. It was at Family Billiards on Geary street in San Francisco. I think Gene Miller (the tournament director) put him in at 160 if I'm not mistaken, and I might add that although he won one or two matches he did not win the tournament that night. The payouts at Family usually average between $200 to $400 for first place on any given night.

nhp
07-26-2003, 04:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote L.S. Dennis:</font><hr> I was there the night that Corey Deuel played his one tournament. It was at Family Billiards on Geary street in San Francisco. I think Gene Miller (the tournament director) put him in at 160 if I'm not mistaken, and I might add that although he won one or two matches he did not win the tournament that night. The payouts at Family usually average between $200 to $400 for first place on any given night. <hr /></blockquote>

Wow you have pretty good tournaments. I run wednesday and saturday tournaments. The entry fee on wednesday is $15 in a race to 7, and first place is usually around $150. On saturday the entry fee is $22 in a race to 8, and 1st place usually pays around $100-$300. We only average about 20 players per tournament. The first tourney we did over there, we got 46 players, we payed out 8 places, with 1st at $500.

L.S. Dennis
07-26-2003, 09:04 AM
nhp,

I'm assuming that the tounaments you're running are usppa tournaments. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all usppa tournaments only supposed to be a races to 5? I've been playing in these things for around 15 years now and they've always been races to 5 on a normal weekly night basis. If they are special 'money added' weekend tournaments that are announced well in advance that's different and are usually races to eight or something.

Family Billiards has the regular week night usppa tournaments twice a week, monday and thursday entry fee is $20.00 with an average of 40 players per night.

L.S. Dennis
07-27-2003, 01:54 AM
If you go to usppa.com you should find all of which you seek