PDA

View Full Version : A-B-C-D levels?

CrispyFish
07-24-2003, 08:18 AM
How would I know my level? Is there any consistent way to judge, or is it region/poolhall specific?

I'm an APA 6 in 8-ball, if that helps at all.

9 Ball Girl
07-24-2003, 08:29 AM
If you're going to play in a tournament, the TD would probably bring you in as a 7 or 8 as a standard. If you're a ringer and your handicap is too low, you can bet that the players will tell the TD and the TD will watch you to see how you do and then give you a "set" handicap. If you feel that your handicap is too high and you're losing your matches, then let the TD know. Also, it's always good to have someone who can vouch your level of play.

For a league, such as in Corner Billiards /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Arthur, he's the TD, will have you break and shoot the balls in front of him to see how you play. At least that's what he did with me when I signed up to play in thier 8 ball leage in '01.

Ken
07-24-2003, 08:40 AM
Here's the link to an article that has been posted here in the past:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=37BECE6F.DA5EE3BF%40fuse.net& rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Foi%3Ddjq%26selm%3Dan_515521785

You should be able to figure out where you would be classified. I would guess that an APA 6 might be about a C+ but I haven't seen enough APA play to really know.
KenCT

CrispyFish
07-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks, that's a very helpful link! I would put myself around a C as well... but I'm working on it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Qtec
07-24-2003, 09:04 AM
Wow. I didnt realise how good I am. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Q

holls
07-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Crispyfish, Be careful about using your APA handicap to determine your big table skill level. I've seen many APA 6 & 7's who are classified as D's. This is not b/c they can't play, it's b/c they struggle with the additional 2 feet of table to negotiate, and potentially faster cloth and balls that don't cluster as much.. Also a 6/7 in the APA may really struggle w/9 ball on 9'tables. Remember handicapping is really difficult as it's not an exact science...

CrispyFish
07-24-2003, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote holls:</font><hr> Crispyfish, Be careful about using your APA handicap to determine your big table skill level. I've seen many APA 6 &amp; 7's who are classified as D's. This is not b/c they can't play, it's b/c they struggle with the additional 2 feet of table to negotiate, and potentially faster cloth and balls that don't cluster as much.. Also a 6/7 in the APA may really struggle w/9 ball on 9'tables. Remember handicapping is really difficult as it's not an exact science... <hr /></blockquote>
Good thinking... fortunately, my APA league doesn't play on bar boxes! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rich R.
07-24-2003, 09:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote holls:</font><hr> Crispyfish, Be careful about using your APA handicap to determine your big table skill level. I've seen many APA 6 &amp; 7's who are classified as D's. This is not b/c they can't play, it's b/c they struggle with the additional 2 feet of table to negotiate, and potentially faster cloth and balls that don't cluster as much.. Also a 6/7 in the APA may really struggle w/9 ball on 9'tables. Remember handicapping is really difficult as it's not an exact science... <hr /></blockquote>
You are making the assumption that all APA leagues play on bar boxes. Although, the APA does use bar boxes for their regional and national tournaments, many local APA leagues play on 9' tables.
I have played in two different APA regions and I have played my weekly matches on 9' gold crowns in both. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before judging the skill level of CrispyFish, we would need to know what type of tables he plays on, in his APA league, and in what area of the country.

DoomCue
07-24-2003, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote holls:</font><hr> *SNIP*

Before judging the skill level of CrispyFish, we would need to know what type of tables he plays on, in his APA league, and in what area of the country. <hr /></blockquote><hr /></blockquote>

Why? Isn't the all-mighty Equalizer handicap supposed to negate those things? Will his handicap change if he's in Chicago or LA? Does being good on a 9' table mean you'll be an even better player on a bar box? Will your skill level drop if you go from playing on a bar box to a 9' table? Will every sentence in this post end with a question mark? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I'll say no. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

djb