PDA

View Full Version : Weight of cue- How light is too light?

Magog
07-24-2003, 12:53 PM
I would like to know what readers think about how light you should go for a pool cue. Is 18 ounces too light?

9 Ball Girl
07-24-2003, 12:56 PM
That would depend on what you like. I started out with a 21oz Dufferin back in '92 and I thought it was the best thing. As I progressed along, I started to go lighter and now I shoot with an 19oz Viking. I used to like to break with a cue that was heavier than my playing cue but I went lighter with that too and it's 19oz as well.

18oz would probably be too light for my taste but it might be just fine for you.

UWPoolGod
07-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Yeah everyone will say personal preference...if you can shoot lights out with a 10oz cue then use that and noone can tell you otherwise. I started with a 21oz. McDermott went down to a 19.6oz Schon Ltd and then went to a 19oz Scruggs sneaky. But it was forward balanced and felt like a 18. Just depends.

Todd <--- will always use around a 19.

heater451
07-24-2003, 04:05 PM
You will--make that should acclimatize to whatever you use.

I tend look for the 'average' 19oz/13mm when I consider buying a cue, but I will take lighter over heavier.

The only issue that I really have, is that the extra weight tends to make me grip harder and 'force' my stroke--on medium to firm stroke shots--and I tend to miss more.

Back the the question of lightness. . . .At the bar where I dropped in for the local Monday night tourney, I started looking for the 18oz cue that I had used a few weeks prior (I didn't take my cue in--see eg8r's thread about taking cues to bars). I couldn't find it, so I looked for one with a good tip, and pulled out a 15oz cue.

Even allowing for the fact that the tourney is on 7' tables, I was shooting well, but actually had problems with hitting too softly! (I wound up having to "wide" bank from corner-to-corner twice, on the 8 ball, and I managed to hit them dead-center perfect to the pocket, but the roll died out about a foot from the hole. Oh well. . . .)

========================

tateuts
07-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Certain cues feel better at certain weights. I might like one cue in 19 and a different one at 18 depending on the balance point. There is a trend toward lighter, naturally balanced cues, and 18 ounces is pretty close to an average weight these days. You need to actually weigh the cue - there are a lot of "19's" out there that are really closer to "18". I play with a 60" Huebler (2" over standard) that weighs in at 18.5 ounces.

Chris

BillPorter
07-24-2003, 06:18 PM
Cues that are lighter than air are tough to keep off the ceiling...you have to hold on to them all through the evening.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nightstalker
07-24-2003, 08:06 PM
I favor a 19oz myself, which is the weight of my shooting cue. I sometimes break with a house cue, and when I do I like the 21oz.

TomBrooklyn
07-24-2003, 09:18 PM
I think 18 is the lightest you should go. Not sure why, but I think almost no one uses lighter than 18 so there must be a (some) reason(s). Probably because the lighter it is, the less stable it is. In other words, the heavier it is the more it tends to swing back and forth in a straight line due to it's own weight. Maybe any lighter and it would take too much speed to hit the cue ball with the desired force. Swinging faster can make it more difficult to control the stroke.

Tom

marek
07-25-2003, 05:31 AM
When I started to play I chose 20oz cue. Two years later I chose 18oz cuetec cue. My oppinion is that lighter cue is harder to play with but gives you opportunity to control the cue ball much more preciselly. On the other hand any flaw in your technique will magnify with lighter cue...

P.s.: The problem is that the ONLY 18oz cue which you can buy here in Czech republic is Cuetec..hate that fiberglass coat in summer heat.... I need tons of powder to be able to play with it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif