PDA

View Full Version : Straight pool or 9-ball?

CrispyFish
07-24-2003, 01:45 PM
Okay, so I'm gonna join a new league, and only one question remains: straight pool or 9-ball????

Which would be the best for improving my overall playing ability?

1. Straight pool is a real man's game!
2. 9-ball: Everybody's doing it!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Lipsky
07-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Crispy, if you join the straight pool league, you'll get a chance to watch Danny Barouty play, and sometimes Tony Robles (depending on the season - he's not playing in this one).

Watching them play straight pool is mesmerizing.

- Steve

Hopster
07-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Straights !!
I Bet nobody thought i would say that. lol
Crispy, they have a straight pool league where you are ??
If you have a lot of experienced players it can be tough, as you do get to sit in the chair a lot in that game. For some people thats frustrating, at least in nine ball you know youre going to shoot sooner or later. You may never have anything to shoot at but youre going to get a shot.
Me myself, i love straights and always will, i cant run many but its gratifying to me to put 25 on the wire all the same.

9 Ball Girl
07-24-2003, 01:59 PM
Straight Pool--all the way. There are plenty of experienced players in the Corner Billiards Straight Pool league. The lowest handicap you can receive is 85 balls, at least that's what I remember.

CrispyFish
07-24-2003, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Straight Pool--all the way. There are plenty of experienced players in the Corner Billiards Straight Pool league. The lowest handicap you can receive is 85 balls, at least that's what I remember. <hr /></blockquote>
Hmmm... sounds like I'd be losing a lot. Not that I care so much whether I win or lose, if my opponent's really good, but I'm concerned I might not get much play. I can run a rack, but stringing them together is something I don't have much experience with... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Fred Agnir
07-24-2003, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> Okay, so I'm gonna join a new league, and only one question remains: straight pool or 9-ball????

Which would be the best for improving my overall playing ability?

1. Straight pool is a real man's game!
2. 9-ball: Everybody's doing it!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Both.

HTH,

Fred

MarkUrsel
07-24-2003, 02:22 PM
I'm with Fred...play both!

CrispyFish
07-24-2003, 02:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>Both.

HTH,

Fred <hr /></blockquote>
LOL... it's an idea, but I already have my APA 8-ball league that I need to finish out. 3 league nights a week would be a bit much for me right now... /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

socrates
07-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Straight pool with an evenly matched opponent is my favorite game.

However, IMO due to the limited interest and # of participants in this game most straight pool leagues are run not by matching skill levels of players by pool but by spotting # balls.

Accordingly, even though you are receiving a spot the time of possession at the table by the stronger player is usually significantly longer. Say you are spotted 50 in a game to 100. Even if the score ends up close your opponent will be at the table twice as long as you are. If there are some strong players in the league and you resolve to learn from watching them shoot then it can be worthwhile. Myself, I like to shoot.

If there were enough interest I would prefer to organize the league by skill levels. That is players generally capable of running less than a rack are in a pool together, players 14-20, 20-30, +30, etc. and then have the length of the game vary between 50 to 100 depending on skill level.

Say you had sixteen people interested. I would have four pools of players. The league would have four sessions of three weeks. Each player would play each opponent in their pool in the first session. The first pool might go to 50, the second pool to 65 the third to 75 and the fourth to 85. At the end of the first session the highest scoring player of each pool would move up to the next pool for the second session and the lowest scoring player of each pool would move down a pool. The same would happen at the end of the second and third sessions.

At the end of the twelve weeks of the 16 players those with the highest ball count would have prizes for first through fourth place, etc. Note - the ball count would need to have a handicap of some type so that the cumulative ball count would be adjusted by skill level.

In any event, this would be how I would try and structure a league to generate some additional interest in this great game.

Curious if anyone is aware of any straight-pool leagues run in this manner.

I participated in a tennis league that used this format and it was very enjoyable.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-24-2003, 03:02 PM
If you've never played 14.1, then just watch the 14.1 league play when available.

But, I would recommend the 9 ball league. It probably will be more entertaining for you.

poolmouse
07-24-2003, 04:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Crispy, if you join the straight pool league, you'll get a chance to watch Danny Barouty play, and sometimes Tony Robles (depending on the season - he's not playing in this one).

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>

Steve, watching your game can be mesmerizing as well. I remember playing my best game and losing to you 150-8 (give or take a point).

/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Poolmouse

CrispyFish
07-25-2003, 06:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> If you've never played 14.1, then just watch the 14.1 league play when available.

But, I would recommend the 9 ball league. It probably will be more entertaining for you. <hr /></blockquote>
I think that's what I'm going to do. Given my current skill level, I think 9-ball will be more fun for me right now, and I'll try to stop by on Monday nights from time to time to check out the 14.1 action. Thanks everyone for the advice! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cuechick
07-25-2003, 07:57 AM
If you goal is to win, then the 9ball league, if your goal is to improve, then the straight pool league...As I recall, haivng played both, even with all the good players in the SPL, there are plenty of middle range players and you get plenty of chances to play.
What I miss about the straight pool league was it gave me the discipline to play and practice straight pool. And it will improve your overall game like nothing else.
Where I live now, they don't even have counters or beads...no one plays it...ever ! Except me...alone.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

CrispyFish
07-25-2003, 08:03 AM
Well... hmm... my goal is DEFINITELY to improve!

What do people think? Would straight pool or 9-ball be most likely to elevate my game?

&lt;~~~ Really on the fence, in case nobody noticed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-25-2003, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> Well... hmm... my goal is DEFINITELY to improve!

What do people think? Would straight pool or 9-ball be most likely to elevate my game?

&lt;~~~ Really on the fence, in case nobody noticed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

If I had to pick one I would say 14.1 (but maybe that's just because it is my favorite game).

But you really need to play a variety of games to learn different skills IMHO

Rich R.
07-25-2003, 08:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CrispyFish:</font><hr> Well... hmm... my goal is DEFINITELY to improve!

&lt;~~~ Really on the fence, in case nobody noticed. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>
For improvement, straight pool is the way to go. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I guarantee you that all good straight pool players can also play 9-ball. Not all good 9-ball players can play straight pool.

Hopster
07-25-2003, 08:50 AM
Where I live now, they don't even have counters or beads...no one plays it...ever ! Except me...alone.&lt;--Cuechick

Welcome to the club, same thing here.

Steve Lipsky
07-27-2003, 12:38 AM
Thanks Mouse. But I learn something everytime I play those guys. And I'm still waiting for you to play your A game against me... I know you're gonna start hittin' me with hundreds left and right - so I'll be ducking you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Talk to you soon,
Steve

SteveFromNY
07-28-2003, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Crispy, if you join the straight pool league, you'll get a chance to watch Danny Barouty play, and sometimes Tony Robles (depending on the season - he's not playing in this one).

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>Yes!! I was watching dan barouty when he ran from about 120 or something and missed his 188th ball or something one night.....man it was so intense! I just joined Corner's abc 9ball after taking a good length of time off due to a back injury. I hope my back doesnt start to act up again.

Aboo
07-29-2003, 03:50 PM
There is one hall here that accomodates the straight pool players, that I know of. And I can hardly ever get out that way /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif It's depressing trying to play straight pool without a counter /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif