PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at Tournaments?

Bob
07-24-2003, 03:36 PM
As most of you know we are hosting the Midwest Billiard Expo and Open this October in the Chicagoland area.

I am in a bit of a quandary regarding permitting smoking. Here is the info:

We have 2 rooms, one of the rooms that will host the Expo, the APA events and part of the BCA events (around 45 Diamond Pool tables) is about 38,000 sq feet. The other room will have the rest of the BCA event in it (about 40 Diamond tables)and is 12,000 sq feet.

I am trying to figure out if we should have one of the rooms non smoking and the other smoking. Or Both nonsmoking or both smoking.

What are your thoughts?

I really appreciate each and everyone of your comments, for they all count and will reflect on this event.

Eydie Romano

Mr Ingrate
07-24-2003, 03:41 PM
Both non-smoking.

UWPoolGod
07-24-2003, 03:51 PM
You either have to leave it all smoking or all non smoking. If you have one room smoking, the smokers will be pissed they can't smoke while playing in the nonsmoking room and vice versa. Even though I am a nonsmoker I would think that leaving it all smoking would better. Nonsmokers tolerate it and are used to it, and smokers will cry if it is no allowed. I guess too bad for the kids who come to the EXPO to watch or buy equipment.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-24-2003, 03:52 PM
If the vendors are outside the tournament rooms, they would appreciate all the extra traffic from the smokers

I would suggest NON smoking pool playing areas.

The Derby City Classic and the US Open both are both NON-Smoking events. But there is always an area outside of the tourny rooms for smokers.

The Derby opens up the tournament area after matches are finished for public play and also smoking.

PQQLK9
07-24-2003, 03:57 PM
Non Smoking of course. You can live with it.

The Watchdog
07-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Pool is a sport of gentlemen and ladies. The top players are ambassadors for the game and the sport. In my opinion, this responsibility must be taken to heart. Smoking kills people. All responsible and prudent adults, smoking or not, must do everything possible to protect our youngsters from this habit. I think as proud players of a fine game, there is no option but to present a non smoking environment, professional in manner, as our continuing role as models to the young is amplified.

I am a smoker.

tateuts
07-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Eydie,

What I would do is have both rooms non-smoking, and set up an exterior area with seating, tables, and ashtrays in a convenient outside location in consideration of smokers, even if it means using a small area of the parking lot (and losing some parking) and portable umbrellas.

In California, smoking has been banned from virtually all public buildings and offices. The few places that allow smoking inside, which are mostly bars, are almost only frequented by smokers. Even tolerant non-smokers and some smokers don't like being in a smoke filled room for long periods of time.

A lot of smokers don't even smoke in their own homes anymore in consideration for their children or non-smoking family members.

Chris

ted harris
07-24-2003, 08:02 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> If the vendors are outside the tournament rooms, they would appreciate all the extra traffic from the smokers

I would suggest NON smoking pool playing areas.

The Derby City Classic and the US Open both are both NON-Smoking events. But there is always an area outside of the tourny rooms for smokers.

The Derby opens up the tournament area after matches are finished for public play and also smoking.

<hr /></blockquote>
As a vendor at many hundreds of tournaments &amp; expo's over the last decade, I can tell you the last thing I can appreciate is smokers standing around my booth. At the US Open, there is NO Smoking inside the entire building.

Qtec
07-24-2003, 08:15 PM
All smoking of course.

Otherwise, people will be smoking outside when they should be buying inside.

Q

Keith Talent
07-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Non-smoking all the way.

For myself, I know that if I'm somewhere I've got to put up with smoke, unless I'm dead drunk /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif, I'm looking for the exit as soon as possible, and no pausing for shopping.

Tom_In_Cincy
07-24-2003, 08:30 PM
Ted
Of course, you are correct about the US Open.. the convention center is a SMOKE free Building.

Ralph S.
07-25-2003, 12:25 AM
I would say non-smoking in the playing rooms. I am sure excessive smoke would cause eyes to become irritated after a while and the caliber of players entered definitely rely on keen vision.

Ralph S.&gt;A SMOKER AND THE SMOKE STILL BOTHERS ME AT TIMES.

Deeman
07-25-2003, 06:22 AM
I'd say non-smoking in the entire playing area, at least. I smoke but if there is a door or room near-by, it's not a big deal to step out and have a quick one every few hours. It's just not good to confine people in such a small area with so much smoke. It's funny, but even in places where they do allow smoking, it seems that all the smokers just chain smoke and fill the place up. I know, I saw the "cloud" hanging over the Valley Forge Expo.

Just give me a door to the outside and I'll disappear every couple of hours for five minutes. No harm, no foul.