PDA

View Full Version : Pricey books

Keith Talent
07-24-2003, 03:51 PM
Scanning eBay today, I noticed a couple of out-of-print classics by Eddie Robin on offer that I've read ABOUT here, but never laid eyes on: "Winning One Pocket" and "Shots, Moves & Strategies". Opening bid prices are mighty stiff ... how good are these books? Do they contain unique insights, or is it just that they're hard to find?

Tom_In_Cincy
07-24-2003, 03:55 PM
Both answers are YES.

I just got a 'copy' of "Winning One Pocket" and am just amazed about some of the moves these guys come up with.

I've been searching for this book for about 4 years. It's worth the search.

UWPoolGod
07-24-2003, 04:00 PM
I was having a dialogue on e-mail for a while with Eddie and was going to buy a set from him but was short of money. He also has a few sets of Lizard bound books that were way more than I could afford, but would be real collectible I should imagine.

BillPorter
07-24-2003, 06:14 PM
As to whether the books are worth the money, I guess that's an individual decision. On the other hand, I know of no ohter books on one-pocket that are even CLOSE to the two by Eddie Robbin. Jack Koehler's Upscale One Pocket is a nice one-pocket book, but Robbin's books are terrific.

Fred Agnir
07-24-2003, 06:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> Scanning eBay today, I noticed a couple of out-of-print classics by Eddie Robin on offer that I've read ABOUT here, but never laid eyes on: "Winning One Pocket" and "Shots, Moves &amp; Strategies". Opening bid prices are mighty stiff ... how good are these books? Do they contain unique insights, or is it just that they're hard to find? <hr /></blockquote>These are probably the best two non-story books in my small collection. They have everything that the "how to" books don't. Strategy, thoughts, prayers, various view points of champions, anectdotes, biographies, legends, and lies. A lot of the things that make pool what it is, are in these books.

Fred

Keith Talent
07-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Strong endorsements there. Not sure my game, or even potential game, quite rates the purchase, but I'm definitely intrigued. You'd think somebody would get them back in print, considering the demand.

BillPorter
07-24-2003, 07:28 PM
Yep, I give them my strongest endorsement. As far as bringing them back into print, I guess the number of one-pocket players just isn't great enough to make it profitable.

Deeman
07-25-2003, 07:26 AM
I got copies of these from George Fels a few years ago and they were very reasonable. He may have some laying around his apartment in Chicago.

Dee

UWPoolGod
07-25-2003, 09:48 AM
As far as bringing them back into print, I guess the number of one-pocket players just isn't great enough to make it profitable. &lt;&lt;---Bill

That was precisely Eddie's take. He said he has alot of information to write a new book but does not have the capital to make a print run himself. So he can get the profits as he did on those books. And not get $1 or $2 per book if going to a publisher who wouldn't see the demand anyway. Through our e-mails I found him to be very knowledgeable in many aspects including those in technical nature, which would make a good book. But if he can't get the funding I doubt it will be produced.

Keith Talent
07-25-2003, 01:51 PM
Sorry to hear the odds are against another book or getting those two back in print. Suppose it is a subculture of a subculture, though pretty well-represented here.

Be interesting to see what the books bring on eBay. Any predictions?

UWPoolGod
07-25-2003, 02:56 PM
I remember a few I saw on there about 5 months ago a WOP went for $500. Lately they have been going for $300. Someone put some up a few months ago and they had Buy it Now's for low and someone snatched them up.