PDA

View Full Version : IBC qualifier in Vancouver, BC this weekend

04-02-2002, 06:28 PM
This weekend in Vancouver, BC, the IBC is having a qualifier for its first tour stop, the Nanki Classic, in Shirahama, Japan.

I'm going up with a pro friend of mine this weekend, who will be competing for one of two qualifier spots. Since I'm there anyway, I am probably going to play in it as well. But I am realistic with my chances. I know most of the people who are playing in it, and I will very likely be the ONLY person in the qualifier who can't be considered either a pro or a strong A+. It's nothing new for me. I play against pro's all the time. But I usually don't pay $120 to do it. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I'm just finishing up on some big projects, and I didn't play much in March. I've been playing more recently, and getting back into stroke. Usually a trip out of town to a tournament snaps me right into stroke. The change of environment can make a big change quickly. I'm looking forward to getting out of here and into the serious environment of a tournament. That's usually all it takes to pull my game out of a rut, when I haven't been really "into" it lately.

I do the same thing in Reno every summer. Since I'm at the Reno Open anyway, I play in it. But I work too hard at my job to expect to finish well in a tournament like that. It's all in fun, and learning from the experience. Every year, I leave the Reno Open playing the best Pool I ever have. (I've been playing just 6 or 7 years, and am still progressing. Each year I am better than I was the year before. And being there a week REALLY gets me into stroke.)

Let me tell you, after playing a famous pro with a bunch of people sitting in the bleachers watching, the pressure you get at home trying to impress the patrons of the local Pool hall is nothing! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

I'll post the results on Monday. Chances are very good most of us will at least recognize the names of the people that qualify.