PDA

View Full Version : New Tip Rant

bott1637
07-24-2003, 06:27 PM
About two weeks ago I was playing the best pool of my life and loving every minute of it. Then one night I go to do a little maintanence on my tip and the thing just falls off. It was the original tip on my Viking, Le Pro I think. So I replaced it with a Triangle since I have heard good things for the price. Well I wasn't too happy with the tip job (one side of the tip wasn't cut down even with the ferrule). Well I finally fixed that with my ultimate tip tool, but it was in my head. Now I can't seem to spin the ball to save my life. I know part of this is mental, but I have also read you have to break a tip in, plus it is harder than my old tip. Does that make a difference in spinning the ball? Any insight would be grateful, but I think I just kinda needed to rant. After all two weeks ago I was playing the best pool of my life, and last night I dropped ten games of 8 ball in a row to my buddy who I normally beat 7 out of 10.

HalSmith
07-24-2003, 08:02 PM
Well Bott it's like you say [It probably isn't the tip]----Smitty

mark wilson
07-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Bott, I suspect that the triangle tip is one that is too hard. I have tried several and never been pleased with the performance. I know other players who love them. I have tried most tips and keep coming back to the LePro's I have always played. The quality of the LePro's does vary but a good one is my choice. Cue builder Mike Durbin puts mine in a vice for a couple of days before installation and they play great.

SpiderMan
07-25-2003, 08:48 AM
Assuming that you now have it shaped properly, I'd say the problem isn't so much the tip as the "change". If your previous tip was pretty worn down, the feel of your hit will change noticeably when going to a brand-new one. It may just be a matter of getting accustomed to it.

To avoid this big change, I replace my tips often enough to not see large variations before and after the work. And I don't change out tips just before an important series of play. But I don't consider Triangles that much harder than LePros anyway, especially when comparing a new, tall triangle with a worn-down LePro.

You should be able to get action on the ball with any tip if it's holding chalk well, and triangles do hold chalk well. Maybe the big change, plus the fact that you have some mental reservations about the quality of the installation job, has you pulling your stroke or some other subtle change in fundamentals.

On the other hand, if the tip guy really did as bad a job as you say, it could be that the new tip is not secure on the ferrule. Any air gaps under the tip will give you an occasional "off" sound, something like an "almost miscue", that will mess with your mind when hitting off center.

SpiderMan

tateuts
07-25-2003, 09:43 AM
It could be the tip is too hard, in which case replace it with another, but check the shape first.

With a hard tip, it's critical to have it properly shaped. Soft tips can be flat and still "grab" - hard tips will skid right off the cue ball if they're too flat. It should be about the same "roundness" as the tip of your baby finger. When placed up against the cue ball in the draw position, half the tip should be sitting flat on the ball. What you do is take a tube type of shaper and use downward strokes at about a 45 degree angle as you turn the cue. When the tip is well rounded, you can sand the top a little if you want, or just play it. When it flattens out, re-shape it again.

Most tips I see are too flat - resulting in mis-cues on draw shots.

Chris