PDA

View Full Version : Question about pool gloves

CravenMooreskill
07-24-2003, 10:51 PM
Hello to all on the CCB. I have been enjoying this forum for a month or two and I decided to register. I recently purchased a table and began taking up the game. I used to play alot as a youngster on my parents old cheap basement table. I was always fascinated by the physics of the game and the infinite possibilities pool presents. Now 25 years later I am trying to learn and practice as much as i can. I dont have any aspirations (yet) of trying to play in any local leagues or tourneys; mainly I want to challenge myself to see how decent I can get.

When I started I felt most comfortable using an open bridge for all shots. I tried a closed bridge simply because I saw all the players on ESPN using one, but I could not get the cue to slide smoothly.

I recently bought Phil Cappele's book and he describes in the beginning all of the reasons why a closed bridge is generally preferable if you want to ultimately be a good player. He suggests that a glove is useful for people like me. I bought one and began playing with the closed bridge.
It now feels more natural and it has improved my play and ability to impart english. I am enjoying the game more using it.

My question as a newbie is about how using a glove is viewed by serious players.

Thanks for your views.

Scott Lee
07-25-2003, 12:19 AM
First of all, who cares what somebody else thinks, if it works well for you! Second, several pros play with a glove. Most are paid to do so, but some just like the feel!
There's NO reason to feel self conscious about wearing a glove to play pool.

Scott Lee

CarolNYC
07-25-2003, 03:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> First of all, who cares what somebody else thinks, if it works well for you!

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>
TAP!TAP!TAP!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
07-25-2003, 03:41 AM
Hi there,
If you are enjoying the game more by using it, then CARRY ON!
I am an "okay" player and Fran Crimi (who is a Master Instructor) is not only my bestfriend, but my mentor-
I've always worn a glove,but at one of our "sparring" sessions, I shot without it-although I loved the feel and everything, my hands tend to sweat alot-(even when I bowl!)
so I wear it!
For whatever reason you wear it, its not going to matter when you start WINNING!Good for you!
Good luck!
Carol

rackmup
07-25-2003, 03:54 AM
Okay...I admit it. I am a basher of the glove. I'm sorry.

Perhaps it all stems from the "goof" at our pool room who wears one (and owns every other pool gadget in the universe) and I shouldn't condemn all who wear them.

If Scott Lee says wear it and Carol NYC wears one, then by God...WEAR ONE.

But please...don't go out and buy a 12 X 24 Dealers Presentation Cue Case for everyday use.

In a word: "Don't become a GOOGAN."

Regards,

Ken (has owned a few gadgets in the past)

CarolNYC
07-25-2003, 04:07 AM
Ken,
I just have to say, you are a very "unique" person and everytime I read one of your posts, I SMILE!(thanks for the smiles!)
And I know what you mean about the "pool gadget princes or princesses, who cant make a ball for "squat!"
Take care and have a good weekend!
Carol~hopes to meet Ken one day!:):):):):)

Rich R.
07-25-2003, 04:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CravenMooreskill:</font><hr> I dont have any aspirations (yet) of trying to play in any local leagues or tourneys; <hr /></blockquote>
You don't have to wait to join a league. Look for an APA league in your area. It is a handicapped league and because of the way their system is set up, they are always looking for new players with lower skill levels. Through the league, you will also make contacts with players that may be able to help you improve. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, although I am not a fan of the glove myself, I recommend you do whatever works for you. Just don't get a bright <font color="red">PINK </font color> glove. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry
07-25-2003, 04:18 AM
I never thought I would wear a glove, but i'm going to get one because it'll help get me through these days with the high humidity. It seems where I live, were getting more humidity every year. Good Luck with your game. Terry

rackmup
07-25-2003, 04:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> ...I SMILE! <hr /></blockquote>

When you smile, I smile. Cool how that works, huh?

Regards,

Ken (smiling 93.5% of the time)

OnePocketChamp
07-25-2003, 05:14 AM
To glove or not to glove, the age old question among pool players. I have never used a glove, nor have I ever powdered up my hand but if it feels right to you then by all means I say go for it. In Texas, it always seems that some poolrooms are having trouble keeping their rooms cool so a glove maybe something I might consider. Now the question will be what color do I use???? I have blue eyes so do I go for blue or should I find brown to match my shoes or maybe just buy a variety of colors and try to match the color of the shirt I will be wearing. Geez, this is giving me a headache, now I know why it takes girls hours to dress for a date!!!!

Regards, Les (confused on his drive to work)

Fred Agnir
07-25-2003, 07:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CravenMooreskill:</font><hr> I dont have any aspirations (yet) of trying to play in any local leagues or tourneys; <hr /></blockquote> Why not yet? No time like the present.

[ QUOTE ]
I tried a closed bridge simply because I saw all the players on ESPN using one, but I could not get the cue to slide smoothly.<hr /></blockquote>Clean hands, smooth stick. Therein lies the secrets to smoothness.

[ QUOTE ]
I bought one and began playing with the closed bridge.
It now feels more natural and it has improved my play and ability to impart english. I am enjoying the game more using it.<hr /></blockquote> So there you go. No questions. A lot of people who try a glove won't stay with it because they lose feeling. That intimate feeling between a person and his/her shaft. Or something like that. If you still have the feeling, then a glove's okay. I know people kid around about it, but I really don't know anyone who doesn't wear a glove just because they look silly. Even if they look silly.

I've bought three gloves.

The beige stretchy one (Blakeman)
Sir Joseph with a velcro fastener
and the one the Roger Griffis used to pedal.

The latter is the best, IMO. It has the velcro closure, grippy palm side like workout or bicycle gloves, and the fingers are cut on the end. That way, your finger tips don't stretch the glove in such a way that the material betwen the fingers becomes an obstruction to the cue.

If you decide to cut the finger tips off, cut just a little bit. Like, a 1/4". Trust me. That's why I had to buy more gloves.

Fred &lt;~~~ sometimes needs the glove

holls
07-25-2003, 07:24 AM
I have to respond. I'm not a proponent of the glove. But that being said, I would much rather have someone wear the glove than watch them leave hand prints all over the table from the chalk. If the glove works for you, then you should definately use it. I tried once and it felt so strange and I couldn't shoot to save my life. For those who know, Danny Barouty wears one and I asked him one day why he does. He told me that he used to hate the glove until one day playing in a tournament in the middle of the summer in a room where the ac wasn't working. He said try shooting in those conditions once and you'll convert pretty fast. And for anyone who's ever met Danny, a glove works for him and when I see him put it on, I know it'll be time to watch some great pool, even if he's just practicing. It's when all the rail birds (myself at times included)go near his table. Kinda like Pavlov's dog...

UWPoolGod
07-25-2003, 09:53 AM
There's NO reason to feel self conscious about wearing a glove to play pool. &lt;-- Prof. Lee

Definite good advise. Although I have never found the need for one, my friend who got 2nd in this years BCA 8ball open wears a glove on BOTH hands. His Cognoscenti is dirty or dinged and if he has to shoot left handed he wants the same feel. Of course he kept looking a the board behind people saying..."How is that guy with the two gloves still in? What a tard." But hey the guy took home $5500 so who is the tard now LOL.

Kato
07-25-2003, 11:14 AM
Amen sir, Amen.

Wear what you want. I live in South Florida which is 98% humidity this time of year. Glove, for me, no way. Glove for you, no problem.

Kato~~~sometimes known as "The Gloveless One"

rackmup
07-25-2003, 11:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Kato~~~sometimes known as "The Gloveless One"
<hr /></blockquote>

While humidity, perspiration and poolrooms without adequate air conditioning and/or ventilation trouble mere mortals, Kato needs NOTHING to keep his stroke pure and smooth.

Why is that you might ask?

It's simple: When you play at the level Kato plays at, perspiration and sweating is a suffering left to his opponents.

You see...most of us are warm-blooded creatures. By our very nature we will perspire when nervous and under pressure. Once it starts, it simply gets worse. This is the primary cause of a "sticky" bridge.

Kato on the other hand, has ice water flowing through his veins. Nothing bothers him. He is one "cool" customer.

Look at other cagey souls like him:

<ul type="square">
James Dean.
Elvis.
Earl Strickland.
Tupac Shakur. [/list]

Go on big fella. Get on with your smooth self.

Regards,

Ken - President &amp; CEO of "One-der Enterprises" (previously known as "Rackmup/Martha Stewart Productions") and future stalker of the redhead at Breaker's.

THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY OUR SPONSORS:

Right-Guard Deodorant - "Never let Kato see you sweat"
Omen Custom Cues - "If you're winning, it MUST be an OMEN"
Smooth Operator Long Distance Services - 1-800-KATODMAN
Lady Schick for those smooth legs that Kato loves to stroke!

dg-in-centralpa
07-25-2003, 02:32 PM
When the glove first came out, a guy in my league was the first to use one. We called him Michael Jackson. Once I tried the glove, I was hooked. My hands sweat alot, and I couldn't shoot right. I also hated leaving chalk handprints on the table as well. If it works for you, so be it.