PDA

View Full Version : Cue Tip: When to replace

bell
04-02-2002, 08:52 PM
I have two cues with Tiger Tips which I put on about a year ago. I play about three times a week, one hole and 8-ball. The tips look like they will last another year at least at current level of wear. I want to know if there is any "standard" time interval for changing out tips (every 3,000 miles) (compression, old age?) or do you just wait until they wear down?

Tom_In_Cincy
04-02-2002, 09:21 PM
Standard rule I've used for tip thickness minimums.. is about the thickness of a dime. If it gets too small, you have a good chance of cracking the ferrule with just a slight miscue.

Barbara
04-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Well Tom, that would mean it's time for me to torture my Cue Man yet once again for matching tips. I'm sure he'll be screening his calls starting tomorrow.

Okay Tony at Talisman, I know that these should've lasted longer, but consider who you're dealing with. I will retire that half round b@st@rd when I get the new tips put on.

Barbara~~~the Former Tip Killer

04-02-2002, 09:50 PM
When you use a Willards shaper and you notice the fibres of the leather are coming apart and alot of powdery dust seems to come from the action of shaping. BF

TalismanTony
04-02-2002, 10:37 PM
Hi Barbara,

How long has it been between tip changes this time?

Cuemage
04-02-2002, 10:38 PM
I usually wait until they wear down or until i can feel a noticeable difference in how they are playing. When my Le Pro wears off tha break cue, I will probably get a different brand of tip...Talisman hard or something like that.

The Cuemage

Troy
04-03-2002, 11:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Barbara:</font><hr> Well Tom, that would mean it's time for me to torture my Cue Man yet once again for matching tips. I'm sure he'll be screening his calls starting tomorrow.

Okay Tony at Talisman, I know that these should've lasted longer, but consider who you're dealing with. I will retire that half round b@st@rd when I get the new tips put on.

Barbara~~~the Former Tip Killer <hr></blockquote>

Hi Barbara.... I seem to remember you going to Talisman, but I don't remember if it was the Pro or WB. Either way though, I don't quite understand why you're using the half-round file enough to wear down those tips. My experience with Talisma Pro is that they hold their shape very well.

My Talisman Pro S is at about 75% after almost a year of daily play. I don't break with that cue except for 1-Pocket.

Troy

bell
04-03-2002, 06:00 PM
Troy:
Cool gif. Thanks everyone for the great response.

04-03-2002, 07:02 PM
Troy,

Since you mentioned that you were using a Talisman Pro (S), I was curious as the feel and play in comparison to a Moori (S). The reason I am asking is that I have been using a Moori (S) for several months now, and it is by far the best tip that I have ever owned.

However, when I ordered my Barringer a couple of months ago, the closest tip that he carried was the Talisman Pro (S). Seeing as how most people that have used the Talisman Pro line consider them to be a comparable tip, I had no problem in making this my choice.

My cue is still months away from being delivered, so I wanted to know what to expect when it arrives.

As a note, I use the Moori to break regardless of the game, and it does not lose it's shape at all. The way I figure it, even if I am 3/4 as happy with the Talisman as I am with the Moori, I will still like it better than the majority of other tips that I have used.

Troy
04-03-2002, 07:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Troy,

Since you mentioned that you were using a Talisman Pro (S), I was curious as the feel and play in comparison to a Moori (S). The reason I am asking is that I have been using a Moori (S) for several months now, and it is by far the best tip that I have ever owned.

However, when I ordered my Barringer a couple of months ago, the closest tip that he carried was the Talisman Pro (S). Seeing as how most people that have used the Talisman Pro line consider them to be a comparable tip, I had no problem in making this my choice.

My cue is still months away from being delivered, so I wanted to know what to expect when it arrives.

As a note, I use the Moori to break regardless of the game, and it does not lose it's shape at all. The way I figure it, even if I am 3/4 as happy with the Talisman as I am with the Moori, I will still like it better than the majority of other tips that I have used. <hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately, I can't compare a Talisman S to to a Moori S since I've never shot with that Moori, but I think a Talsman M compares quite well to a Moori M.

I have a good number of customers who have switched to Talisman Pro from Moori. The majority choose the Pro M.

When your new cue arrives, don't examine the tip, just shoot with it a while. I'm sure you'll like it with the Talisman Pro S.

Troy

Cuemage
04-03-2002, 07:33 PM
Talisman Tony,

I have 2 new tips on my cues but am debating changing to a Talsiman &amp; I just don't wanna wait until they wear down...do u ever have anyone take off good tips for ur tips?

The Cuemage

Barbara
04-03-2002, 10:25 PM
Tony,

It's been about 14 months since I've had them put on. I have to work off a bad habit of using the half round on the tips to scuff them up. It's just a habit that I learned in this area and I should really have some more faith in your tips that they don't need to be worked up like the LePros I got used to. Sorry.

Barbara~~~:(~~~has very bad allergy-induced headaches right now...

Barbara
04-03-2002, 10:32 PM
Tony,

I'm using the Pro M's from Talisman. I like their hit better than Moori M's. Never did a Moori MH. I'm fading fast from my seasonal allergies and probably won't be getting back to this board much before next Monday. Got a tourny at Corner Billiards in NYC this weekend. Send help for my game. Steve Lipsky for food (he owes me).

Later,

Barbara

04-04-2002, 12:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> My cue is still months away from being delivered, so I wanted to know what to expect when it arrives. <hr></blockquote>

you'll probably think you made a big mistake. i love talisman s tips and have been using and recommending them for years but, like some other built-up tips, it takes a little while to break 'em in.

at first, it will ping like a real hard tip but if you keep at it that goes away in a couple of hours. the tips also tend to get a bit shiny as they wear in. don't worry, they will still hold chalk like it's glued on.

give the new tip a couple of hours, don't let your cue guy take layers off it (why in the heck do they do that?) and it will not only become the best shooting tip you've used but it will also keep that feel for a very long time. 1 talisman soft should outlast 3 or 4 lepros.

dan

Troy
04-04-2002, 12:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr>
give the new tip a couple of hours, don't let your cue guy take layers off it (why in the heck do they do that?) and it will not only become the best shooting tip you've used but it will also keep that feel for a very long time. 1 talisman soft should outlast 3 or 4 lepros.

dan <hr></blockquote>

Talisman Pro Domed 14mm tips are approx. 6mm thick (tall when installed). When I install them, I take it down to approx. 5mm with a dime radius unless otherwise specifically requested by my customer. On a 12.75mm shaft, this initially appears quite tall which may be why some guys take more off.

Troy

04-04-2002, 03:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> When I install them, I take it down to approx. 5mm with a dime radius unless otherwise specifically requested by my customer. On a 12.75mm shaft, this initially appears quite tall which may be why some guys take more off.Troy <hr></blockquote>

just got a newsletter e-mail from talisman and in the installation tips tony (or whoever there) suggests trimming the tip down a bit to prevent the stress of extreme english from delaminating the new tip close to the base. i'll let someone else explain how much to take off, i suspect troy has it right.

my bad.

dan

04-04-2002, 05:19 AM
I agree 100% Talisman soft is the way to go and they last forever. I have had mine on for 8 months and it has lots of life left yet.

TalismanTony
04-04-2002, 05:55 AM
Hi Cuemage,

I have heard of quite a few people taking tips off of new cues they get to put on a Talisman tip but its usually after they already know they want Talisman tips on their cues. I reckon many people would think it pretty wastefull to cut off a newish cue tip to try another, I guess it all depends how you feel with the current cue tips you use (and perhaps how much you paid for them ;=) ).

You'll notice I never say that my tips are better than any others, but I do know, through countless emails from customers that when you do find a cue tip that "feels" right for you, it can make a big positive difference to your game. There are others on the board here that are far more qualified to tell you how much of the game is about confidence and feeling good about your your stroke, your equipment etc. but I believe if it doesn't "FEEL" right, then its not right and if you are into the game then you should experiment to find out what really works for you.

We are fortunate that just about everybody who tries a Talisman tip doesn't want to change back.

Hope this helps.

TalismanTony
04-04-2002, 06:02 AM
Hi Barbara,

Hope your feeling better soon.

14 months, not so bad for the former tip killer, but you would get more milage for sure if you leave the half round file in the tool box in the garage. A gentle scuff with a little medium coarse sandpaper will do the job and this really only needs to be done if the tip gets shiny and that doesn't always happen too much.

My cue tip FAQ has more good advise for Talisman and other laminated tips.

http://www.talismanbilliards.com/FAQ.asp

warm regards

04-04-2002, 07:41 AM
Well said. I don't know what it is about these tips but they do have an ability to hold chalk even if you do see them as shiny. Believe me when I say that I have not touch any kind of tool or texture device to any of my Talismans, just the chalk, for years....sid~~~in his opinon feels that "shiny means pic and scuff" is all in your head, miscues are from a mechanical breakdown or zero chalk with extreme outside english

Troy
04-04-2002, 11:22 AM
We ain't keeping score Dan... By the way, when I first started installing layered tips, I too would take off a few extra layers. It was NOT intentional, it was simply MY TECHNIQUE was incorrect. I'm just glad I didn't blow it on a customer's Moori since I didn't have a replacement.

Troy

SpiderMan
04-04-2002, 01:40 PM
I'm currently using a Talisman Pro S. If you expect it to feel like the Moori S, you will probably be disappointed. It's much harder, in my opinion. I used to use Moori M, switched to Talisman M, it was 'way too hard, switched to Talisman S, it's closer but still pretty hard. Also, while it holds shape pretty well, the Talisman S has "packed down" and become shorter/harder after about a month's usage.

SpiderMan

04-22-2002, 01:28 AM
I was looking at a Mueller's catalog. I noticed they only sell the Talisman tips in size 14mm. I have a Viking cue with a 13mm size tip. Do the Talisman's tips come in size 13 or is 14 the only size they come in?