PDA

View Full Version : Gambling Terminology

Ralph S.
07-25-2003, 07:41 AM
Last night after our local tourney I was matching up in some 9ball and he wanted to play "double up-back up". While I am a known gambler and well versed in most gambling slang, this one was very new to me. Can some of the elder, more seasoned players and gamblers explains what this means.

I did not play the sets this way because of me not having heard about it. BTW, we played 5 sets at $40 per set. I came out on top $40. The sets were race to 5.

bolo
07-25-2003, 08:23 AM
I am not sure but it sounds like he wants a guarantee if he gets stuck he can raise the bet. In other words if you are playing for $50 and you win the set, if he wants to play the next for a $100., you agree. That way you are not just shooting his money back at him with no risk, although you are risking no more then you risked when you both started, ($50.). He on the other hand may lose a total of $150. for the two sets. It is not a good thing to agree to sometimes, because if you beat him say three sets, he is looking at some work ahead to get back his money and go on to beat you. Where if you allow him to raise the bet, he is back in the game. You would be surprised, even with an experienced player, if by some happening they find themselves really stuck. Maybe just through laziness they often can't comeback, where as rasing the bet may change them from being down 5 sets to 1 set away from even. The saying " You can win it back the same way you lost it" and not raising the bet is like driving a stake through their heart. You have to consider though, you may keep beating him and bust him out altogether with the raised bet. It is a little physiological money management. Sort of never doing what the other guy wants to do when he wants to do it. An interesting part here is, some players have a bet threshold. Even if they are winning and playing with the other players money. Once the bet reaches a certain amount, their game may change. It is not unusual to beat a player who you may really not be able to beat, or have given them a winning spot, (called out running the nuts) just with the money. A lot of players will tell you, "The more you bet, the more you get"(refering to giving you a spot). Experience has taught them the money makes a difference. These same players have been known to go off as well, but that is why they call it gambling.

Perk
07-25-2003, 01:17 PM
Not sure,,but i will guess to that terminology....Maybe if its a race to 9 lets say, and it ends up hill hill, you double the bet and start over? Thus, not letting one game take the dough? Not sure if this is it, but this does happen frequently. Just trying to put the sound with the definition.

Drake
07-25-2003, 01:56 PM
A.K.A..."Back it and Jack it!"... is usually when the set is double hill and the players pull the coins back and double the bet. I usually try this when it's double hill and my opponent is breaking.

SPetty
07-25-2003, 04:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ralph S.:</font><hr>I did not play the sets this way because of me not having heard about it. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Ralph S.,

Did you ask the guy what it meant? How did he explain it? Or is that poor gambling etiquette?

bolo
07-25-2003, 05:27 PM
I would not think anyone would want to do that, not as a pre-arangement, I will tell you why. If player A get to the hill first. there is no way he can lose the match. The best player B can hope for would be to get to hill hill, and have the match start over, player B even loses the opportunity to break in the hill hill game. It would make no sense to play that way. I have seen the player on the hill try to talk the other player into starting over before, but the other player would be a fool to do it since he has the last break to win.

Ralph S.
07-25-2003, 06:16 PM
From the way he was explaining it and the way I was understanding it to be, it is like what Perk and Drake are saying.