PDA

View Full Version : Titleist/Hoppe cues for conversion

UWPoolGod
07-25-2003, 12:55 PM
It seems to me that when I look on ebay there are always a few makers who have taken one of these Titleist or Hoppe cues and put their own flare into them. Then sell them for a bunch. Why are they so popular? I see lots of bids on them everytime they are on there?

tateuts
07-25-2003, 01:27 PM
This goes back to the Balabushka era. A lot of the famous makers used Titlist blanks (an oversized, roughly turned blank from Brunswick) to make their cues. These had the now famous points and veneers already inlaid, so the makers could customize them from there.

When the blanks were no longer being made, the makers turned to existing (used) Hoppe cues and converted them - these are called a "conversion". They usually have different shafts and are modified as the makers see fit. The custom maker's name is still the price ticket. Hoppe conversions with a good maker should go for $600 - $1000, considerably more with a famous maker.

I recently saw and played with a Tad Hoppe conversion. Tad found a beautiful cue, re-turned it so the points were absolutely perfect, changed out the joint to his own ivory, made new shafts and installed his own butt cap. The cue is understated and beautiful and hits with the best of them. This Tad would probably go for near the $2000 mark because it was made by Tad.

Chris

UWPoolGod
07-25-2003, 02:59 PM
Now it makes sense why a lot of the points look similar and have the same colorations. Yeah there are several Hoppe/Titleist cues on ebay right now for about $400 with several bids on them. I could see making a little profit on one of those cues if you returned it your own way. Thanks alot

Todd