PDA

View Full Version : 500 towards a new cue.

Fast Eddie NSU
07-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Hey as a birthday present my fiance is "letting" me spend around 500 bucks on a new cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Everyone here seems pretty knowledgable about different cues and such so I thought I should get some opions. First off looks do not matter to me, it can look like a house cue for all I care, I just want a good solid hitting cue for around 500. Ive read most of the archives and im seriously looking at the predator cues. Anyone have any suggestions?

Barbara
07-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Pechauer Cues!!!

www.pechauer.com (http://www.pechauer.com)

Barbara~~~just my $.02 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cycopath
07-25-2003, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Eddie NSU:</font><hr> Hey as a birthday present my fiance is "letting" me spend around 500 bucks on a new cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. <hr /></blockquote>
That's awfully sweet of her to let you spend your own money on something you want.

Fast Eddie NSU
07-25-2003, 02:22 PM
Actually its "our" money. Thats how a good relationship works in my opion. Espicially since were planning on getting married in a few months money is tight.

cycopath
07-25-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm just yanking your chain. My wife and I are the same way.

Keith Talent
07-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Watch out, you're setting a dangerous precedent! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Me, I just buy one and stash it in my case for a few months ... might fess up later, after I'm all caught up on bills and have done something nice to get in her good graces. Yes, she notices such things only happen a few precious times a year. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HalSmith
07-25-2003, 02:45 PM
FAst Eddie, you might want to look on e-bay , see if you can find a used Shon. I play with an Olivier but he doesn't make anything in that price range. But a Shon is a very nice cue and most all of them have a very nice hit and feel. You might also want to wait until a tournament is near you and go to it and see what all the vendors have for sale. That way you would be able to hit with it.---Smitty

Fast Eddie NSU
07-25-2003, 03:56 PM
http://www.predatorcues.com/english/3k1.htm

Whats everyones opion on the 3k1? Does anyone shoot with it here?

SPetty
07-25-2003, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Eddie NSU:</font><hr>Whats everyones opion on the 3k1? Does anyone shoot with it here? <hr /></blockquote>I own a 2K1, which as far as I know is identical, just older, than the 3K1.

The wrap is too slick for my tastes. Otherwise, it's a very nice cue. I like Predator cues.

BTW - don't buy a Predator from the Predator web site. There are several other pool internet stores that sell them for much less.

Hopster
07-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Ive read most of the archives and im seriously looking at the predator cues. Anyone have any suggestions? &lt;--Fast Eddie

Eddie, you might want to take a look at the Viking Line. I got one 2 months ago and love it. Heres a link to Hawleys, who i think is the best company out there. I got the VX-14.
http://www.billiardstore.com/viking/vikMill.htm

Btw- I see youre from Tallequah. I had a buddy of mine from here who lived there for quite some time raising Emu,s. He used to sell the oil from them, supposed to be good for this and that. Anyway, every so often i meet someone from there and i mention it and a lot of people know him.
Good luck on your shopping spree.

dmgwalsh
07-26-2003, 05:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Eddie NSU:</font><hr> Hey as a birthday present my fiance is "letting" me spend around 500 bucks on a new cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Everyone here seems pretty knowledgable about different cues and such so I thought I should get some opions. First off looks do not matter to me, it can look like a house cue for all I care, I just want a good solid hitting cue for around 500. Ive read most of the archives and im seriously looking at the predator cues. Anyone have any suggestions? <hr /></blockquote>

Have you tried a predator yet? I went to a local shop and they let me try about 5 different brands (without chalk). I tried Viking, predator, schon, mcdermott, lucasi, maybe a few others. I liked the feel of the predator hit. I ended up getting a viking, vm13, new for about 325 from a guy who posts here and put a predator shaft on it. I also picked up a used viking on ebay, vm26 for a little over $100 with a hard case. You probably should shoot with one before you decide.

Rich R.
07-26-2003, 06:15 AM
Eddie, for $500, you have a lot of options.
You can get any number of production cues or a basic, sneaky pete, from a custom cue maker. I recommend you go out and do your homework. Determine which cue YOU like the best and then buy it.
There are many dealers around, who will let you hit balls with different cues, until you find what you like or don't like.

Concerning Predator cues, it seems to be a love them or hate them situation. Don't buy one with out trying one.

Happy shopping. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

griffith_d
07-26-2003, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> FAst Eddie, you might want to look on e-bay , see if you can find a used Shon. I play with an Olivier but he doesn't make anything in that price range. But a Shon is a very nice cue and most all of them have a very nice hit and feel. You might also want to wait until a tournament is near you and go to it and see what all the vendors have for sale. That way you would be able to hit with it.---Smitty <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, Jerry offers several to choose from at $350. His cues hit great. I would recommend them.
http://www.jocues.com/cgi-bin/jocatalog/products.pl?Catagory=CUE&amp;Brand=All&amp;Model=All&amp;Capac ity=All&amp;Color=All&amp;Type=All&amp;Render=True

Griff

Fred Agnir
07-26-2003, 07:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fast Eddie NSU:</font><hr> I just want a good solid hitting cue for around 500. Ive read most of the archives and im seriously looking at the predator cues. Anyone have any suggestions? <hr /></blockquote>Why would you be seriously looking at the Predator Cues? What do you shoot with now?

Fred &lt;~~~ no surprise, I recommend Schuler Cues.

Chris Cass
07-26-2003, 09:24 AM
Post deleted by ccb_admin_2

Drake
07-26-2003, 11:42 AM
I prefer custom cues over production cues. A really good cuemaker will adjust a cue to you. No, A custom cue won't look as a impressive as some production cues in the same price range....but it will hit the way you want it and that is what really counts. Keith Josey of Josey cues, www.joseycues.com (http://www.joseycues.com) , stands behind his work and will customize the taper,weight, and hit to your preferences. I've played with his cue for 4 years and love it.

Irish
07-26-2003, 03:08 PM
Your $500 if it is American money (thats like $1,000,000 Canadian!) can get you a very nice cue built by Bernie Mikkelsen from Calgary. His cues hit amazingly solid and are awesome investments that raise in value nicely. You will have a cue that can turn you a profit if you ever wanted to sell it (although I know few that ever let their mikkelsen go once they have one) and hits the ball like a dream. You will get alot of interest from people in the cue since they wont know what it is down in the states. That wont last though as his cues are starting to become famous as more of them get around and people are starting to find out how good they hit the ball.

If you want to know how to get a hold of him and such email me at Lyonspride@shaw.ca and I can give ya his contact info. He does not have any examples of cues on the net as of yet to see.

Fast Eddie NSU
07-26-2003, 03:20 PM
I really appreciate all the advice guys. I went and talked to the man who taught me how to play and he said he always shot with a Meucci. I did some searches on the net and these boards and there seems to be a bit of hostility towards Meucci. I went to my local pool hall and shot with one and it was a very strong hit. While I was there I also hit with a viking, mcdermott, and a schon for kicks. Maybe i'm not very good at telling a good cue but I did notice the Schon hit alot better but the rest hit about the same. I see that everyone seems to be buying customs. How long do these usually take to get made? Thanks guys.

Irish
07-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Time it takes to get a custom made cue varies greatly on the maker and what you want. A Southwest cue will take years to get supposedly since they are so backed up with orders. A super elaborate cue can take years to make as well, mine took just over a year due to some fancy silver rings that were hand carved and the guy carving them being both slow and busy. On the other hand some cue makers are not all that busy and can start working on your cue right away or they might even have some cues they have built already for sale, one might catch your fancy and you can buy it and shoot with it right away. If you are not overly picky about looks and dont have a custom design in mind many cue makers will have afew cues of various design that are already built and for sale.

People like custom cues for various reasons. A good custom cue maker can almost always build a better hitting and more solid cue then a production cue company can make due to more personal care and time spent making sure the cue comes out perfect. There is also something about playing with a cue that noone else plays with and not seeing a cue exactly like yours in another persons hands. There will never be 1000 other cues exactly like yours out there if you go custom made. If you buy a predator be prepared to see your cue in many other players hands and many of the exact same cue being sold at various stores, vendors, and websites.

If you noticed a difference in the hit of a Schon compared to the other cues you mentioned then you probably will notice the difference in a custom cue made by a cue maker known to make solid hitting cues.

HalSmith
07-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Griff my cue is # os2-3-1 with mother of pearl inlays instead of Turquoise. I'm going to have him put a leather wrap on it soon. His web site is jocues.com if anyone is interested in his products.---Smitty

Kato
07-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Pete Ohman made my cue in 4 months, delivered. PM me and I'll hook you up with the necessary info. Happy hunting. Cue buying is cool!!!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Kato

RedHell
07-26-2003, 06:39 PM
If you consider buying a Predator cue, look at Falcon. They make the Predator butt, so you will have the same quality. But I believe the Falcon brand is less expensive than the predator name. You can pick up a nice cue and add up a predator shaft.

griffith_d
07-26-2003, 08:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> Griff my cue is # os2-3-1 with mother of pearl inlays instead of Turquoise. I'm going to have him put a leather wrap on it soon. His web site is jocues.com if anyone is interested in his products.---Smitty <hr /></blockquote>

Where do you play at? Have you played at Legends where Jerry sells his cues sometimes.

Griff

stick8
07-26-2003, 08:57 PM
Buy a Budwiser stick then bank 490!!!!!!!!!!

HalSmith
07-27-2003, 04:51 AM
Griff, I play at Legends all the time . Most of the time on weekends , but I am there 2 or 3 times during the week playing on the 9 footers.Jerry is usually there on Wed. at noon playing one pocket. His shop isn't far. Dennis Stricklands tournament is coming up in Aug. He will have a display of his cues then. Come on down sometime and we can play or I'll run you over to his shop if you wish.---Smitty

griffith_d
07-27-2003, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HalSmith:</font><hr> Griff my cue is # os2-3-1 with mother of pearl inlays instead of Turquoise. I'm going to have him put a leather wrap on it soon. His web site is jocues.com if anyone is interested in his products.---Smitty <hr /></blockquote>

Is this your cue?

http://www.jocues.com/cgi-bin/jocatalog/products.pl?Catagory=02%20SERIES&amp;Brand=All&amp;Model=0 2%20SERIES-3&amp;Capacity=All&amp;Color=All&amp;Type=All&amp;Render=True

Griff

HalSmith
07-27-2003, 05:35 PM
Yep, except where the turquoise is mine has mother of pearl. Hey it was nice talking to you by phone today . Thanks for the e-mail. I forgot to give you my number but will e-mail it to you.---Smitty