PDA

View Full Version : Danny Diliberto's cue

cycopath
07-25-2003, 05:17 PM
A friend of my dad's says he has a Frank Paradise cue that he claims Danny Diliberto gave him many years ago, when our friend lived next to him in Miami, FL. This would be in the early to mid 70's I would think. I wanted to know if anyone knows if Diliberto even played with a Paradise back in those days. Our friend has been known to tell a few tales in his day.

Drake
07-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Just Ask Danny. I found out at Derby that Danny is very approachable and a very nice guy.

Popcorn
07-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Danny may have had a Paradise cue, players are always getting cues from here and there. He played with a Gina cue almost all the time back then though. He represented Gina and would get the cues for people. I bought several Gina cues from him, this would be right around 1970. But like I say, it was common to buy and sell cues of all kinds so your friend is probably telling the truth. Does it have Danny's name in it? He had a lot of cues with his name on them, he liked that kind of stuff. I had one of his Richard Black cues and I was in a place playing one night. I went to the bathroom and when I came out the guy I was playing was unscrewing, he quit and left. Later that night the owner came over to me and told me he did not want to knock my action, but he knew who I was. Turns out they saw the name on the bottom of the cue earlier that night and thought I was Danny D. Here is the bad part in my opinion, I beat some of his customer's out of quite a bit of money that night. If he thought I was a world champion player, wouldn't you think he would warn them, they are his friends yet he said nothing. Wife is out of town and I sat down at the computer tonight, I still read when I get the chance.

Hopster
07-25-2003, 06:12 PM
Just Ask Danny. I found out at Derby that Danny is very approachable and a very nice guy. <--Drake

You got that right. I met him a few times when he was running Pool sharks here in Vegas, good fellow. And not afraid to bet it up with people either.

Hopster
07-25-2003, 06:30 PM
Hey Corn, good to see you.
An older friend of mine used to play with a Gina Cue years ago. You might know him as i heard he had a big rep for matching up. They called him The Deacon, first names John. He used to work at the Dunes here in Vegas. I played with him a few times about 10 years ago and saw the cue. Nice piece of work. Cost him about $1800 if im not mistaken.
Guys originally from Shreveport. That help any ?

Popcorn
07-25-2003, 07:28 PM
No, can't say I have. Gina cues were very expensive at the time. I bought one in 1970 it was $600. I was driving a 65 Ford Falcon I only paid $400. for, it was more then my car. You could also get a Joss at that time or Balabushka with two shafts for around $90 to $120. Ginacue set a new standard and the others followed. Ernie showed what players would be willing to pay for a cue.

Vagabond
07-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Howdy folks,
I do not know about his cue.But I know one thing about him.
He is the only pool player I came across in my travels who does not use any profane language.When frustrated he will say ``Spaghetti``.Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cycopath
07-26-2003, 08:04 AM
Thanks for all the replies.

Does anyone know where he lives now? Maybe I can do a search and find his email address.