PDA

View Full Version : What to do about fraudulant e-mails

Fran Crimi
07-26-2003, 08:16 AM
I did some research and here are some things I came up with. First, it's important for everyone to work together on this. If you received a harassing e-mail, supposedly from a CCB'er, contact them and verify if they sent it. If they didn't, send them the e-mail, and most importantly, the Internet tracking details on that e-mail. They will need that info to report the Internet Identity Fraud crime.

First, to the person who received the e-mails:

You were harassed, therefore you can do the following:

1.) Immediately file a complaint with your IP, include the tracking details of the e-mail.

2.) If the language or content is vulgar, file a complaint with the FBI. Do not be leary of contacting them. This is what they do and they want to hear about these kinds of things. They will track down the person.

Next, if you're the victim of identity fraud:

1.) File a complaint immediately with your IP.

2.) File a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). Go to the web page link below this paragraph, scroll down to the last item and click on 'Online ID Theft Complaint Form' (I couldn't link you directly to the form because each form has to have it's own ID number.)

Here's that link: FTC Identity Theft (http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/victim.htm)

The form is not just for people who have monetary losses. There is a section for "other" and a section for you to describe your complaint.

The FTC does not have the authority to prosecute someone but they will forward the complaint to the proper bureau for investigation and prosecuting.

Fran

Ralph S.
07-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the info Fran.

eg8r
07-26-2003, 08:40 PM
Thank you for the information Fran.

My only question is with the identity theft...Does this include my situation...The person never really used my email account to send the emails. They used a program that would put my address in the sender section.

I will fill out the complaint and see what happens.

eg8r

bluewolf
07-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Yeah. I got one from you too Ed, but i knew was not you.

Laura

Fran Crimi
07-27-2003, 06:24 AM
My guess is that it does qualify as fraud. The "from" box is designed to reflect where the e-mail is coming from and the only way it can be manipulated is by an illegal hacking program.

It would be like getting a harassing phone call and the harasser has manipulated it so your caller ID is showing the number of someone you know.

Fran