PDA

View Full Version : Pool on TV........................................

Wally_in_Cincy
07-26-2003, 12:24 PM
All times Eastern Daylight
==========================================
2:00 PM FSWO Sunday, 27
World Championship
120 min.
World Championship action, taped in Cardiff, Wales.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2:00 PM ESPN2 Sunday, 27
BCA Open 9-Ball finals
60 min.
The BCA Open 9-Ball finals in Las Vegas.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5:00 PM FSWO Monday, 28
World Championship
120 min.
World Championship action, taped in Cardiff, Wales
9:00 PM ESPN2 Monday, 28
Women's Open 9-Ball
60 min.
Women's 9-Ball Championships in Las Vegas.
7:00 PM ABCFAM Thursday, 31
7th Heaven
It Happened One Night
The twins are home and Eric and Annie expect help from the children. However, Ruthie plans to run away; Mary does---to the pool hall; and Simon reads parenting books.
8:00 PM ESPN Thursday, 31
BCA Open 9-Ball finals
60 min.
The BCA Open 9-Ball finals in Las Vegas

<font color="red"> This is recommended viewing. It's pretty well done. </font color>

8:00 AM TNT Friday, 1
Pretender
Pool
60 min.
Jarod becomes a pool player in order to help a young singer (Jennifer Garner) and to settle a score with a wealthy bigot
8:00 PM ESPN Friday, 1
WPBA Classic Tour
60 min.
WPBA Classic Tour semifinal-round play in Alpine, Cal.
9:00 PM ESPN Friday, 1
WPBA Classic Tour
60 min.
WPBA Classic Tour final play in Alpine, Cal
11:00 PM ESPN2 Saturday, 2
Women's Open 9-Ball
60 min.
Women's 9-Ball Championships in Las Vegas.
2:30 PM TVLAND Wednesday, 6
I Dream of Jeannie
Help, Help, a Shark
30 min.
Jeannie upsets a pool match between the general and an old foe (Jim Backus).

Fred Agnir
07-26-2003, 12:53 PM
I thought today's televised Earl match partially erases his poor sportsmanship showing against Steve Davis. After defeating Chin Shun Yang (Taipai), Earl shouted out several times pointing at Yang "That, is a great player!"

His enthusiasm for our sport goes both ways.

Fred &lt;~~~ proud of Earl, for the moment

BCn
07-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Why is BCtv excluded from your "Pool on TV......" posts?

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2003, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BCn:</font><hr> Why is BCtv excluded from your "Pool on TV......" posts?
<hr /></blockquote>

Your check bounced....... Just kidding /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I search my local listings and Fox Sports Digital Net is not available here. Apparently my one phone call is not enough to get them to add it.

Sorry.

You seem to be keeping us well informed concerning your schedule.

Best of luck,

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2003, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> I thought today's televised Earl match <font color="red">partially</font color> erases his poor sportsmanship showing against Steve Davis. After defeating Chin Shun Yang (Taipai), Earl shouted out several times pointing at Yang "That, is a great player!"

His enthusiasm for our sport goes both ways.

Fred &lt;~~~ proud of Earl, for the moment
<hr /></blockquote>

I was going to disagree until I re-read your post and saw the word "partially" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
07-28-2003, 06:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> All times Eastern Daylight
==========================================
2:00 PM FSWO Sunday, 27
World Championship
120 min.
World Championship action, taped in Cardiff, Wales.
2:00 PM ESPN2 Sunday, 27
BCA Open 9-Ball finals
60 min.
The BCA Open 9-Ball finals in Las Vegas.
<hr /></blockquote>In an odd "feast or famine" way, both these were aired at the same time.

Here were some intersting comparisons.

The table at Cardiff (GCIV) was playing much easier than the table at the BCA Open (Olhausen Champion ). That's typical of the tables, out of the box. The pockets on the Olhausen aren't as forgiving, and the cushions are... funny. We have two of them at the local Eagles club. I'm sort of glad that both Souquet and Bustamante showed the same type of problems that I have on the Olhausens (albeit to a much lesser degree). I'm sure if the match was a race to 11 or longer, neither would have made the terrible mistakes they each made.

Jim Rempe was the color commentary guy for the BCA Open finals, while a rotation of Jerry Forsyth, Jim Wych, and Sid Waddell did Cardiff. IMNSHO, Rempe's commentary was head and shoulders above the others in terms of overall depth. The only thing that has bugged in the past about Rempe is his poor grammar, especially with the misuse of adverbs. But, he wasn't too bad yesterday. The Cardiff commentary can be good mostly (especially when Sid isn't too annoying, which is never), but both Wych and Forsyth lack the indepth commentary that Rempe showed. That's not an insult to either men, but more of a recognition of Rempe's experience shining through.

As far as the play went, both Busta and Souquet looked lost, but I truly believe that was the table. Between Alex and Thorsten in Cardiff, Alex looked terrible. I'm very surprised he made it close. A healthy Alex I think would have roared back and won that event, but he had been sick and it showed. Not to take anything away from Thorsten who played pretty damn good, but he made enough mistakes that would normally have meant doom if he had been facing a healthier opponent in the finals. That's just my opinion which means nothing.

Fred

cycopath
07-28-2003, 09:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>The only thing that has bugged in the past about Rempe is his poor grammar, especially with the misuse of adverbs. <hr /></blockquote>Give the man a break, he's a poolplayer not an English teacher.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred Agnir
07-28-2003, 09:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>The only thing that has bugged in the past about Rempe is his poor grammar, especially with the misuse of adverbs. <hr /></blockquote>Give the man a break, he's a poolplayer not an English teacher.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote> Oh, I know. And I don't mean to bag him like that. In other sports, they have color commentators that do have both championship-level experience and broadcast ability.

I would have hoped after all these years, Sigel, Hopkins, and Rempe would all have been given a few broadcast tips when it came to grammar. And out of those three, I've always thought that Rempe has the most pleasing broadcast voice. But, a "the ball is froze" here and a "he don't have no shot" there really sours otherwise excellent color commentary.

Fred &lt;~~~ wonders if there's a poolplayer with a Broadcast Journalism degree

Cueless Joey
07-28-2003, 05:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr>The only thing that has bugged in the past about Rempe is his poor grammar, especially with the misuse of adverbs. <hr /></blockquote>Give the man a break, he's a poolplayer not an English teacher.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote> Oh, I know. And I don't mean to bag him like that. In other sports, they have color commentators that do have both championship-level experience and broadcast ability.

I would have hoped after all these years, Sigel, Hopkins, and Rempe would all have been given a few broadcast tips when it came to grammar. And out of those three, I've always thought that Rempe has the most pleasing broadcast voice. But, a "the ball is froze" here and a "he don't have no shot" there really sours otherwise excellent color commentary.

Fred &lt;~~~ wonders if there's a poolplayer with a Broadcast Journalism degree <hr /></blockquote>
That's why they should just have Incardona.
Heck, Bill even knows adverbs.
He never says, " He shot that good ". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
P.S.
I saw the Stalev-Davenport US Open match on Empire channel last week. Matthews sounded like he had food in his mouth and he kept interrupting Bill.
Bill was smooth as usual. But, they did not have table microphones. It was terrible. You couldn't even hear the balls click. What other sport do they do this to?