PDA

View Full Version : If your life depended on making a spot shot....

BillPorter
07-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Here's a question I've posed to a few pool players: If your life depended on making a spot shot (a loaded and cocked .357 Magnum is pointed at your temple) who would you choose to shoot the shot for you? Or would you shoot the shot yourself? Pick two living and two dead players you might choose to shoot the shot. I'm thinking my choices wouldn't be too common as I would choose Don Willis and Harold Worst among the dead and Efren Reyes and Allison Fisher among the living. Any other suggestions?

ras314
07-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Didn't know anyone had spot shots since BIH has taken over 9B.

Was a guy in PC, FLA I saw make 10 in a row for a bet. The 357 is a bit extreme.

rackmup
07-27-2003, 06:08 PM
If you're talking a spot-shot in one-hole:

Living: Les Moore and Scott Frost.
Dead: Mosconi and Fats.

Regards,

Ken (scores points by mentioning his friends in the same post with Mosconi and Fats)

L.S. Dennis
07-27-2003, 06:08 PM
I for one would like to see the return of the spot shot in some form or another.

As far as having someone shooting it for me, Jimmy Carras might be one of my choices.

snipershot
07-27-2003, 06:52 PM
Living: Reyes and Strickland
Dead: Mosconi and Fats

griffith_d
07-27-2003, 07:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Here's a question I've posed to a few pool players: If your life depended on making a spot shot (a loaded and cocked .357 Magnum is pointed at your temple) who would you choose to shoot the shot for you? Or would you shoot the shot yourself? Pick two living and two dead players you might choose to shoot the shot. I'm thinking my choices wouldn't be too common as I would choose Don Willis and Harold Worst among the dead and Efren Reyes and Allison Fisher among the living. Any other suggestions? <hr /></blockquote>

Since I have had a pistol pulled on me by a cop when he pulled me over and pointed at my head ready to shoot,...it did not bother me at since I was raised on guns and a little drunk,....I would shoot it myself,....lol.

Griff

teen1216
07-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Dead: Mosconi or a sober Greenleaf
Living: Reyes or Souqet

Fran Crimi
07-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Dead: I'd pick Lassiter. My friend was a good friend of his and told me stories of how Wimpy used to chew people up in tight pocket 9-ball and one pocket.

Living: I'd shoot it myself.

Fran

OnePocketChamp
07-27-2003, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your endorsement of my spot shot making abilities, just hope the pistol only has one bullet in it, kinda takes the pressure off me.

I do tend to practice the spot shot frequently, as it comes up quite often in the game of one pocket but I have never had to shot it with a gun to a head. Oh wait, the gun is to Ken's head, okay I'll take the shot.

Regards (Hoping Ken's will is current) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
07-27-2003, 10:13 PM
If I shot it I'd be dead.

Live: Ken "Rackmup" Kingan (only if he used the jump cue)
or
Chris Cass

(hopefully neither of those gentlemen would allow me to die) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dead: If I shot it I would be
Mosconi

Kato

Bassn7
07-27-2003, 10:45 PM
Just a note. In 1994 I was in a bar box spot shot contest in the pool hall where I practice. Cue ball on the head spot and an object ball on the foot spot,cut it in without scratching as fast as two other players set them up. Without standing up, I cut in 147 in a row before missing. I missed because my back hurt so much. I won a soda.

Hopster
07-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Alive- Efren or Allison
Dead- Greenleaf or Mosconi

Rod
07-27-2003, 11:10 PM
Bill,
Your two dead ones is ok by me, I'd take Efren or Ralph for the living. When it comes right down to it, I'd probably want to shoot it myself.

Rod

Irish
07-28-2003, 12:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote teen1216:</font><hr> Dead: Mosconi or a sober Greenleaf
Living: Reyes or Souqet <hr /></blockquote>

Sober Greenleaf? What would you like your tombstone to say? From everything I have heard Greenleaf had nerves of jello and his game only really flowed when he had some liqued courage in him. With that kind of pressure on him ya might wanna buy him a couple shots of whisky before he takes that shot.

Once he is feeling good though I agree, Greenleaf would be my second dead pick. First dead pick is my grandfather who was a hell of a snooker player in his day.

Alive I like Immonen under that kind of pressure. If the player taking the shot knows what he is shooting for I want a guy with nerves of steel. Or maybe someone like Keith who would just slash the thing into the pocket before he even knew what was going on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stick8
07-28-2003, 01:03 AM
mOSCONI=LASSANTER DEAD LIVE STRICKLAND=Reyes

mark wilson
07-28-2003, 04:53 AM
When I spent time in the Phillipines with Efren I learned that unlike some stories nobody is there that is as great as Efren. However there was a guy that is not regarded as a super player but was beyond world class in making spot shots. Spot shot skills are essential in playing rotation and Efren is very familiar and accurate. The guy would play Efren in a spot shot contest that Efren could place the cue ball anywhere along the headstring and he would shoot his head spot to foot spot. Efren told me that this guy could in fact beat him with this handicap despite only being a "c" class player in general. He said the guy would practice spot shots for hours and had been doing so for years.

BillPorter
07-28-2003, 05:16 AM
Maybe you've never heard of Don Willis and think I've gone over the edge in choosing him to shoot a shot for my life. He never won any tournaments and avoided the limelight because he was a hustler who wanted to remain unknown. Here's a Website with a nice story about him:

http://www.8ball.org/moecia_don_willis.htm

And here's an excerpt from that article:
================================================== =====
Because Willis prohibited photos and didn’t play in tournaments, the public knows very little of the man. I understand this to help explain the quizzical look on the faces of my classmates. Further, he was never a world titleholder. In fact, he holds no titles to any official pool tournaments. Notwithstanding, he shall always be regarded by those in Canton, Ohio as one of the best players of all time. Further substantiation is based on testimony from the following authorities:

Former World Champion, Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter, a life long friend and fellow road warrior is quoted as saying:

"If I ever had to have someone else shoot pool for my life, win or lose, live or die, the man that I'd have shooting for me is Don Willis."

In a National Billiard News article, in their April, 1965, issue, they state: “It is our opinion that Don Willis of Canton, Ohio has beaten more top notch players than any other player in the world. Dons list of "victims" reads like the "whose who" of Billiards.”

Erwin Rudolph 35;Don Willis 125;"High Run Willis 88"

Bobby Moore 33;Don Willis 125;"High Run Willis 48"

James Caras 97;Don Willis 100;"High Run Willis 87 and out"

Ralph Greenleaf 40;Don Willis 125;"High Run Willis 66 and out"

Willie Mosconi 65;Don Willis 125;"High Run Willis 70 and out"

Don never entered a tournament, so naturally, hasn’t won any. In talking to dozens of top players over the years, almost without exception they rate "Don" as either the best or as good as any nine-ball player in the country. For example we will give you a few quotes.”

Cowboy Jimmy Moore - one of the top players of all time, "In 35 years I only lost once for money. I lost to Don Willis in Louisville, KY. Al Coslosky, veteran Pha.[Philadelphia] player who won the World nine-ball title a few years ago says "Every Worlds Tournament I attended Willis had an open challenge to play anyone nine-ball." Luther Lassiter, (photo from Grissim’s book "Billiards"), considered the best money player of all time said "Don Willis has the heart of a lion, if he were to play regular, he is subject to beat anyone". Harold Worst Worlds Champion Three cushion players in Sports Illustrated March 20, 1961 - "Don Willis in my opinion is the best nine-ball player in the World". From the files of the Canton, Ohio Daily Newspaper:
================================================== ========

I hope the above shows that Don Willis was one of the very best ever when it came to shooting for the cash.

Gee! I just realized that I'm not sure he's dead! Anyone out there know for sure?

BillPorter
07-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Fran,

No one could argue with your choice of Wimpy, however Luther himself picked Don Willis! Here's a quote from an article on Willis:

Former World Champion, Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter, a life long friend and fellow road warrior is quoted as saying:
"If I ever had to have someone else shoot pool for my life, win or lose, live or die, the man that I'd have shooting for me is Don Willis."

I thought it was great when Billiards Digest ran that cover story on James Evans, the great black pool player. It's nice when recognition finally comes to once obscure players, and that's what I was trying to do by highlighting Don Willis in my post.

BTW, I am in awe of anyone who would shoot the shot THEMSELVES! Seriously, I have to admire your heart and courage.

Fran Crimi
07-28-2003, 08:53 AM
According to the article, he died in 1984.

Thanks for the info, Bill. That's great stuff.

After what Wimpy said, I'll have to change my choice to Don Willis.

Fran

mike_in_iowa
07-28-2003, 09:04 AM
I remember a article in Pool and Billiard 15 years ago, remember when they had that section they were doing like a newspaper? Anyway they had a article about a guy in Florida that made some obscene number like 400 in a row. Does this ring a bell with anybody?

Mike

Fred Agnir
07-28-2003, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote mike_in_iowa:</font><hr> I remember a article in Pool and Billiard 15 years ago, remember when they had that section they were doing like a newspaper? Anyway they had a article about a guy in Florida that made some obscene number like 400 in a row. Does this ring a bell with anybody?

Mike <hr /></blockquote>All very believable.

I had a friend say that he didn't think 10 was possible! I asked him to setup spot shots, and at 20 in a row, he remarked that the way I was doing them, it didn't look like I'd ever miss. I missed at 22. But I suck. And, I'd have to say my mind started wandering at around ... three or four.

In the hands of someone with talent, 100's doesn't seem difficult if you could get passed the boredom.

Fred

teen1216
07-28-2003, 09:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Irish:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote teen1216:</font><hr> Dead: Mosconi or a sober Greenleaf
Living: Reyes or Souqet <hr /></blockquote>

Sober Greenleaf? What would you like your tombstone to say? From everything I have heard Greenleaf had nerves of jello and his game only really flowed when he had some liqued courage in him. With that kind of pressure on him ya might wanna buy him a couple shots of whisky before he takes that shot.

Once he is feeling good though I agree, Greenleaf would be my second dead pick. First dead pick is my grandfather who was a hell of a snooker player in his day.

Alive I like Immonen under that kind of pressure. If the player taking the shot knows what he is shooting for I want a guy with nerves of steel. Or maybe someone like Keith who would just slash the thing into the pocket before he even knew what was going on. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Yea, I wasn't thinking that he might need a little bit in him. I said sober because if he walked in dead drunk not able to stand up straight as he supposedly did sometimes, I'd have a heart attack and no bullet would be needed.

Deeman
07-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Dead - Harold Worst
Alive - Efren

BillPorter
07-28-2003, 10:27 AM
Hi Deeman, I think we may be among the few who knew (know) about Harold Worst. First I heard of him was in the early 1960's when I asked a road player who he thought was the best 9-ball player at that time. He said "Harold Worst," and at the time I thought, "who the heck is Harold Worst?!" Since then I've read a few items about him and have come to know that few players would be less likely to miss the money shot than Harold.

Fran Crimi
07-28-2003, 10:30 AM
Bill, I remember Mike Geffner researching that story. It was a really tough job which took him quite a few years. He went from Brooklyn to Harlem tracking down and interviewing men in their 90's who knew Evans. I remember Mike saying that Evans was an important person in the history of our game and shouldn't go unnoticed. He felt the same way about Cisero Murphy which is why he started the lobbying effort for his induction into the Hall of Fame. Hats off to Geffner for all that.

Unfortunately, I've had the experience of having a gun pointed at me, so I know how I'd react. Years ago, I was in a neighborhood bar with my boyfriend and three men ran in with guns saying they were holding up the bar. While the other two were collecting money and jewelry from everyone, the third guy picked me to use as an example. He held the gun to my head and announced if anyone did anything funny he'd start shooting. I felt this amazing sense of calm come over me and everything became crystal clear. Some people were panicking and I went over to them to calm them down with the guy with the gun pointed at me following me around. When the other two were done, they signaled the third guy who made the bartender pour everyone a drink on the house and said they all had "this girl" (me) to thank. He waited until the bartender started pouring while the other guys were yelling, "C'mon let's get outta here!" It was surreal. After they left, I calmly walked out, got into the car and collapsed.

So I think I can shoot a spot shot with a gun pointed at my head. LOL!

Fran

Fred Agnir
07-28-2003, 10:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Hi Deeman, I think we may be among the few who knew (know) about Harold Worst. <hr /></blockquote>Uh-oh. You just made an FL statement.

Fred &lt;~~~ okay, maybe not that extreme

Fran Crimi
07-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Bill, I heard that Harold Worst used to drive people crazy with his slow play. Some have said he may even be considered the "Worst" in the game when it came to slow players. Have you ever heard anything like that about him? (Not that it would affect his ability to make a spot shot.)

Fran

Deeman
07-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Bill,

I only saw Harold play once in Blythville, Arkansas but it is a great memory, the way he shot and beat everyone. The reason I mentioned him was that I had that very same thought about having him shoot if my life depended on it (I swear). He was hitting spot shots while talking to a few of us. He must have hit 30 or so with one of the kids re-spotting it each time. He didn't miss but the amazing thing was the casualness with which he shot, like he was not paying attention and hit/slammed every one in the heart of the pocket. He reminded me of a great guitar player strumming away with his attention elsewhere, never missing a note.

Fran, I know he was a little slow to shoot but I really think that was because it bothered others. A friend later told me about him a night I was not there to watch/play. He said Harold was shooting a guy giving up the 6,7 &amp; 8 and shooting jacked up, one handed. He would shoot a shot, then stick his beer in a pocket (I know, but they also laid cigarettes on the rails back then)and talk about a few things, pick up his beer, shoot a ball, maybe two, then sit the beer back into the pocket and talk a few more minutes. My buddy said his opponent was so cranked up, even when he got the odd shot, he would miss.

I havn't shot a spot shot outside one-pocket for thirty years and while I used to practice it, I don't anymore. Maybe I will tomorrow. I would shoot one for Saddam's life, right now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dee

tateuts
07-28-2003, 02:24 PM
Bill,

Bustamonte would make the shot. He would make every shot.

Earl would miss it on purpose and smile at you.

Fats would want to negotiate his own deal.

Efrem would make it and draw the cueball back up to the headrail without touching any other rails.

Keith would want odds, then he would make it one handed jacked up with a blindfold on. Then would double up after he sunk it.

Allison would think it was a dumb macho thing and would refuse to shoot.

I would dog it.

Chris

BillPorter
07-28-2003, 03:34 PM
Hey, tateuts, you know your players alright /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can only add that;

Wimpy would make the shot, but would complain for a while about his allergies and a sore wrist before shooting.

Karen Corr would probably make the shot and play a safety in case she missed.....forgetting that I wouldn't be there to appreciate the safety.

Luc Salvas would make the shot before the person spotting the 9-ball took their hand off the ball.

Dick Lane would definitely make the shot, but by the time he shot the ball I would have died of dehydration (from the sweat pouring off my face). BTW, I once asked Dick this very question (who would he have shoot a shot for his life)....his answer, with a smile, was Christopher Walken! Absolutely true story.

BillPorter
07-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Fran,

Just two hours after your post, Deeman posted a nice story about Harold and his slow play. Check it out....

Bill

BillPorter
07-28-2003, 05:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>Unfortunately, I've had the experience of having a gun pointed at me, so I know how I'd react. Years ago, I was in a neighborhood bar with my boyfriend and three men ran in with guns saying they were holding up the bar. While the other two were collecting money and jewelry from everyone, the third guy picked me to use as an example. He held the gun to my head and announced if anyone did anything funny he'd start shooting. I felt this amazing sense of calm come over me and everything became crystal clear.<hr /></blockquote>

Quite a story and one you're not likely to ever forget. I had a gun pointed at me just once; it happened like this. I was sweating a pool match at Cotton Bowling Palace in Dallas in the 1960's. I think it was San Jose Dick playing one-hole. I'm sitting between some young guy I don't know and Billy T. Dyer, one of Dallas's premier hard cases at that time. The young guy is making a lot of noise and Billy T. tells him to quieten down. Has to tell him again and emphasizes his remark by drawing back his sports coat enough to show the handle of a revolver. The young guy immediately starts shouting something to the effect that, "Hey! You're not the only one with a gun around here!!" and pulls out a Saturday Night special. Billy T. grabs the hand holding the gun and pushes it away from himself. Good for Billy T., but bad for me as the gun is now pointing directly at my face. I still recall seeing the guy's finger trembling on the trigger. I guess one thing did become "crystal clear" to me at that moment....Cotton Palace was becoming a bit too dangerous, too many people carrying guns. Not long after that I decided to go back to college and finish my degree. Probably a good decision.....Sorry for the long post, but once I started telling the story, I couldn't stop! BTW, if I had tried to shoot a spot shot right then, I might have made it four rails, but for sure not straight in.

stickman
07-28-2003, 11:14 PM
Hey Bill, it's good to see you posting again, even though I haven't been posting that frequently myself. I guess I'd have to shoot the shot myself, even though I haven't been practicing spot shots that much lately. When I practiced spot shots, I was able to make 10 in a row fairly easily.
Since I don't know that many dead pool players, I'll stick to the living, and guess that if I had to bet my life on it, I'd go with Reyes and Bustamonte. Honestly, it wouldn't be a bet I'd want to make. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif In spite of all the problems I have, I still like living.

Hopster
07-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Unfortunately, I've had the experience of having a gun pointed at me, so I know how I'd react. Years ago, I was in a neighborhood bar with my boyfriend and three men ran in with guns saying they were holding up the bar. While the other two were collecting money and jewelry from everyone, the third guy picked me to use as an example. He held the gun to my head and announced if anyone did anything funny he'd start shooting. I felt this amazing sense of calm come over me and everything became crystal clear. Some people were panicking and I went over to them to calm them down with the guy with the gun pointed at me following me around. When the other two were done, they signaled the third guy who made the bartender pour everyone a drink on the house and said they all had "this girl" (me) to thank. He waited until the bartender started pouring while the other guys were yelling, "C'mon let's get outta here!" It was surreal. After they left, I calmly walked out, got into the car and collapsed. &lt;--Fran

Nice friends you got Fran. The guy with the gun on you was probably one of the regulars from the Golden Q.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Dont feel bad, i had a pistol pointed at me about half a dozen times. More if i count the times cops did it.
Scariest time was when i was working a casino in bayside in a jewish temple not far from the house. I was supoosed to work a game in the bronx that night but a guy called me and asked if i would switch with him and do him a favor. I said sure, it was the same outfit.
Anyway about 9 oclock 5 guys come bursting into the gym where the game was. There had to be about 200 people in there, maybe more. One guy had a shotgun, one a lever rifle, one had a mac-10 with a sound suppressor on the end. the other two pistols. This crew had us in there for about 45 mins and robbed everyone one by one. The guy with the mac 10 was definetly unstable and i was thinking if this guy panics and pulls the trigger hes going to get at least 10 people with one burst.
These guys had to get at least $200,000. At least !! What with all the jewelery and cash.
Not a fun night.

Rod
07-29-2003, 12:37 AM
All this talk about being held at gun point made me hungry. LOL Really it's not fun, Ive bee shot at twice and had a cocked pistol in my left eye. I know it was a 22 by the small bore, Didn't matter it might as well been a cannon. As mentioned things become real clear and I become very calm and focused. I imagine a guy could play pretty good in that state of mind. It was all over a dumb bet that I would have won had he not had the gun. Well the good part is I didn't loose the bet, he just told me to get the --ck out of there. He didn't have to ask twice. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod

SpiderMan
07-29-2003, 07:20 AM
I'd have to shoot it myself. Although all those players everyone is choosing are better than me, at least I KNOW I wouldn't dump to win a side bet /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

Fran Crimi
07-29-2003, 07:38 AM
Holy cripes, Bill! That's like a scene out of an Eddie Murphy movie, only it's real.

Thanks for the story. I feel better now. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

Fran Crimi
07-29-2003, 07:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>
Dont feel bad, i had a pistol pointed at me about half a dozen times. More if i count the times cops did it.
<hr /></blockquote>

Hahahahahaha! You kill me, Hopster. The funny thing is that after meeting you, I know you're serious.

You know, the thing that cracks me up is how you, Rod and Bill all describe the kind of guns they were. Me, I have no idea. It had a barrel, a trigger and it was pointed at me. That's all I can tell you. LOL!

Fran ~~~ I hope everybody gets a chance to meet Hopster sometime. He's the greatest.

bolo
07-29-2003, 08:35 AM
("Spot shot Kenny") Kenny Kiddie, Worlds best spot shot maker. Over 1400 in a row and shoots 200 and 300 in a row almost any time.

cycopath
07-29-2003, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hopster:</font><hr>One guy had a shotgun, one a lever rifle, one had a mac-10 with a sound suppressor on the end. the other two pistols.<hr /></blockquote>I guess the guy with the silenced Mac-10 "took the cake" in their little group.

griffith_d
07-29-2003, 10:35 AM
Let's change this to,...the gun, 44 mag, cocked, 3 lb pull, nervous hand, pointed at the head of my ex-wife and I convince her that I have just made 50 spot shots in a row and cannot miss and she tells me to shoot it for her,....what could possibly happen here?

Griff

BillPorter
07-29-2003, 11:00 AM
Griff,

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifGee, I'm sure you'd just bear down and split the joint!

On the other hand, the fact that you want to increase the caliper of the weapon suggests less than charitable feelings toward your ex. You sure you don't want the weapon to be a flame thrower? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

griffith_d
07-29-2003, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Griff,

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gifGee, I'm sure you'd just bear down and split the joint!

On the other hand, the fact that you want to increase the caliper of the weapon suggests less than charitable feelings toward your ex. You sure you don't want the weapon to be a flame thrower? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Mmmmm, flame thrower,.....that's an idea I have not thought of yet. That would save on ammo, since 44 mag is a little costly.

Griff

Hopster
07-29-2003, 11:34 AM
Hahahahahaha! You kill me, Hopster. The funny thing is that after meeting you, I know you're serious.

You know, the thing that cracks me up is how you, Rod and Bill all describe the kind of guns they were. Me, I have no idea. It had a barrel, a trigger and it was pointed at me. That's all I can tell you. LOL!

Fran ~~~ I hope everybody gets a chance to meet Hopster sometime. He's the greatest. &lt;--Fran

Thanks Fran. &lt;Blush&gt; lol
Well the thing with me and guns is i have been interested in them all my life. Not a hunter but as a target shooter so its natural for me to recognize a weapon immeadiately.
I was sort of a amateur benchrester for a while. Anyone who knows what im talking about will think im nuts cause those guys have to be the most serious guys about equiptment on the planet. They make NASA scientists look like pikers.
I gave it up cause i got too burned out, way too much work.

Hopster
07-29-2003, 11:40 AM
I guess the guy with the silenced Mac-10 "took the cake" in their little group. &lt;--Cycopath

He was definetly a serious individual.
Good you said something, you reminded me of something i forgot. In back of me while we are all on the floor i hear some people talking. Apparently there was an off duty NYC cop in there gambling, not uncommon. The guy was tryiog to get rid of his off duty .38 so these guys wouldnt find it on him and get pissed. They found the gun on the floor and looked at the people around it and picked this guy out and searched him, they found his shield and smacked him around a bit. Guys lucky they didnt kill him.

Rod
07-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Fran,

Like Hopster, I've always had an interest in weapons. Growing up on a farm my dad had shotguns and a couple of rifles. Learning how to shoot and respect for guns come early in life. I have owned several hand guns and shot with several others. You get to recognize the types of guns and bore sizes. All I knew it was a small bore, small frame revolver. It couldn't have been a 32 or 38, the bore was to small. I doubt it was a 25 because I've never seen a 25 revolver. I got the front view so the barrell was real clear. It was a little dark to tell if it was loaded, I'll assume it was, only an idiot would pull an unloaded gun.

Just from experience with guns you have a fair idea of whats pointed at you. Its instinct, similar to your going to shoot the 8 in the corner and draw back 1 rail for the 9. Maybe not a great comparison but you immediately know what you see. Of course you also know to cooperate and not to do anything stupid.

I think if you had spent a fair amount of time with handguns or other weapons you would know or have a good idea also. Being pool players we observe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif If the gun goes off, it really won't make any difference if your looking at it, have your eyes closed or your head turned. LOL

Rod

Ralph S.
07-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Been there with the gun thing. Working in the bar business it is bound to happen. As far as my shooter...Weldon Rogers Jr.

BillPorter
07-30-2003, 07:34 AM
Kinda strange how a post about who you would have shoot FOR you has mutated into a thread about who you have had almost shoot AT you.....

griffith_d
07-30-2003, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Kinda strange how a post about who you would have shoot FOR you has mutated into a thread about who you have had almost shoot AT you..... <hr /></blockquote>

I guess the gun to the head thing is fairly common people are saying and they might just shoot it themselves,...but it was a good thread to ponder.

Griff