PDA

View Full Version : How is your game lately? Tournament/League

griffith_d
07-27-2003, 07:43 PM
I seem to be in a groove lately,..the past two weeks I have been in the money 1st/3rd and 3rd 3 weeks ago in my tuesday night 9 ball tournament at Slick Willies. I am beating people I have never beaten before and paying closer attention to playing safeties.

How is your game lately,...is it better, worse or the same as last month?

Griff

Karatemom
07-27-2003, 10:29 PM
After about a 2 week hiatus, my game has actually taken a step up. CC and I played in a scotch doubles tourney last weekend and we took 2nd. After that, drilled for a few days on shots that give me the most trouble, and am seeing the rail shots and cut shots much easier. Funny though, I still have a problem with straight-ins! LOL. Leagues don't start up again out here for another month and a half so I've got plenty of time to practice.

Heide

Kato
07-27-2003, 10:36 PM
Finished in 3rd place in a 9 ball tourny tonight. Shoulda won my King of the Hill match but I proved that I've got some dog in me and couldn't close the deal.

Kato~~~had to give the wild 7,8 and shouldn't have

Bassn7
07-27-2003, 10:37 PM
Awesome. I'm giving the Bob Henning "Pro Book" a full workout. The text of this manual has amazing insight. I'm actually using and following the guidelines and I'm winning on league nights with ease.

rackmup
07-28-2003, 03:37 AM
Early this month I was ready to stick my cue in a hole and jump off the roof, impaling myself on it.

The latter half of the month I am playing much better with wins on league night for the past few weeks.

Practice is still an issue as work simply doesn't allow the time. My game was great when OPC and I were playing almost daily.

I'm hoping to stay on top of things going into the August session of the "Kato vs. Rackmup East Coast-No Coast Challenge Match".

He beat me like an old kitchen rug during our first meeting.

Regards,

Ken (has league tonight and tomorrow night and has his fingers crossed (I don't know how I'm going to bridge like this)

griffith_d
07-28-2003, 05:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Karatemom:</font><hr> After about a 2 week hiatus, my game has actually taken a step up. <hr /></blockquote>

Sometimes stepping back from pool for a week or two can make your game better,...cannot find a real reason yet, but it does happen.

Griff

9 Ball Girl
07-28-2003, 06:25 AM
The last time I got to a pool table was when I told you guys about the stuffed animals I won at a fair on a barbox back in June. I got some cold water "splashed" in my face and opened my eyes to the way some of the people in the pool hall where I go are and I got turned off. When I'm at the pool room, it's probably to buy someone in a Calcutta and that's about it. In any case, I haven't done a league in a while, and I'm predicting that the next time I play for real will probably be at the CCB Tourney in VA in September.

Fred Agnir
07-28-2003, 06:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> How is your game lately,...is it better, worse or the same as last month?

Griff <hr /></blockquote>Mine is terrible. My game goes down in the summer. It always has. I don't play as much in the summer, and when I do, it's too damn humid to have much fun.

Fred

rukiddingme
07-28-2003, 07:28 AM
My game can be best described as INCONSISTENT. One minute I'm shooting the lights out and the next I am not.
I think it really has to do with FOCUS...I just seem to have difficulty concentrating equally on every shot.
I can't buy a leave as of late.
Karatemom and I played last week and I struggled. One minute I'd make a great shot with a good leave the next I'd
miss an easy shot or get absolutely rotten position.
It has been a really long time since I've been able to put a couple of nice games together. As I think about it it has been a long time since I've put one good game together.
I am more consistent in my drills than am in actual game situations.
ruk

griffith_d
07-28-2003, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rukiddingme:</font><hr> My game can be best described as INCONSISTENT. One minute I'm shooting the lights out and the next I am not.
I think it really has to do with FOCUS...I just seem to have difficulty concentrating equally on every shot.
I can't buy a leave as of late.
Karatemom and I played last week and I struggled. One minute I'd make a great shot with a good leave the next I'd
miss an easy shot or get absolutely rotten position.
It has been a really long time since I've been able to put a couple of nice games together. As I think about it it has been a long time since I've put one good game together.
I am more consistent in my drills than am in actual game situations.
ruk <hr /></blockquote>

I was reading in my "pool book" about how to practice safeties,...put out all of the balls and never try and make one,...hook yourself everytime and after your hook yourself, make a kick and hook again. Even if the shot is straight in,...play a safety. It has helped my game.

Griff

bluewolf
07-28-2003, 08:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr>

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

My game is improving. I hate to practice but I force myself to do it anyway. I no longer evaluate myself by wins losses. I look at better focus, better position,improvement in reading the table ,playing smarter and better shooting. That is how i evaluate myself these days. In APA, I could be put up against someone a lot weaker than me or an sl7 or something. I have no control over that so if I am doing better at the table, that is what makes me feel good.

Laura

griffith_d
07-28-2003, 10:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr>

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

My game is improving. I hate to practice but I force myself to do it anyway. I no longer evaluate myself by wins losses. I look at better focus, better position,improvement in reading the table ,playing smarter and better shooting. That is how i evaluate myself these days. In APA, I could be put up against someone a lot weaker than me or an sl7 or something. I have no control over that so if I am doing better at the table, that is what makes me feel good.

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

I try to look at improvement as 3 steps forward, two steps back,....it is slow, but still forward.

Griff

SPetty
07-28-2003, 10:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr>I try to look at improvement as 3 steps forward, two steps back,....<hr /></blockquote>Then I'm about due, because my game has gone way backwards lately. I think part of the reason is that I'm taking the summer off from league play, so don't have the weekly competition.

griffith_d
07-28-2003, 11:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr>I try to look at improvement as 3 steps forward, two steps back,....<hr /></blockquote>Then I'm about due, because my game has gone way backwards lately. I think part of the reason is that I'm taking the summer off from league play, so don't have the weekly competition.
<hr /></blockquote>

I was in a league 3 years ago(6', 8 ball) and had a lot of fun. The competition was not as tough, but it was a more relaxed environment than the weekly tournament I play in now.

I would like to play in a league again, but on the bigger tables. I kinda miss the fun of a league.

Griff

tateuts
07-28-2003, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I got some cold water "splashed" in my face and opened my eyes to the way some of the people in the pool hall where I go are and I got turned off. When I'm at the pool room, it's probably to buy someone in a Calcutta and that's about it. <hr /></blockquote>

Wendy,

That's too bad. It sounded like everything was going your way a few months ago. I assume you had a "personality conflict". Care to elaborate?

Chris

UWPoolGod
07-28-2003, 12:41 PM
My game has stayed about the same. Not very many tourneys down here like there were in Seattle. Going to be moving to an area that will have more so I can get into it again. Played my usual guy on Saturday $5/rack straight-8 and won $125 before the night was done. He doesn't get it through his head that he won't come out on top.

Overall I think I have become more consistent in finishing out racks from anywhere. That is all I can say about my game at the moment.

9 Ball Girl
07-28-2003, 01:04 PM
I asked someone for advice on some things, the person asked me why I was asking, I trusted the person and told them why, and somehow the info got back to the other person. No one's fault but mine for confiding in someone. No big deal. Live and learn. When things like that happen I really open my eyes and see people more for what they are and it turns me off. Now I know not to easily trust someone it comes to the pool world. I can go on and on but that's good enough. I'll play again. I can never quit pool completely. I need pool like I need blood in my veins!

griffith_d
07-28-2003, 01:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I asked someone for advice on some things, the person asked me why I was asking, I trusted the person and told them why, and somehow the info got back to the other person. No one's fault but mine for confiding in someone. No big deal. Live and learn. When things like that happen I really open my eyes and see people more for what they are and it turns me off. Now I know not to easily trust someone it comes to the pool world. I can go on and on but that's good enough. I'll play again. I can never quit pool completely. I need pool like I need blood in my veins! <hr /></blockquote>

If I miss a week of 9 ball tournement time, I fall apart, I cannot function, I cannot work, I cannotttttttttttttttttttt

Griff

tateuts
07-28-2003, 01:46 PM
Wendy,

That's too bad - sounds like there were a lot of hurt feelings all the way around.

Maybe you can start an interesting thread on this - like "who can you trust?". A negative social element has caused more than one pool shooter to quit the game.

Chris

Keith Talent
07-28-2003, 08:54 PM
So, Wendy, were you asking about this third person's game in some manner? And somebody took offense? Hell, what else do all the PH posers do who sit around all day and never pick up a stick?

9 Ball Girl
07-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Nah this was all tournament directing stuff. Live and learn is all. Bygones.

stickman
07-28-2003, 11:38 PM
My game seems to closely correlate to the amount of time I spend on the table. If I'm spending a great deal of time on the table, my game seems to reflect it. If I'm spending the majority of my spare time doing something other than playing pool, my game also reflects that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Lately, I've been putting in quite a bit of table time, and my game reflects it.

Rod
07-28-2003, 11:44 PM
Jim,

My game is good but I sure can appreciate your view on not enough table time. To bad we have all this other stuff to take care of. LOL Good to see you back once in a while.

Rod

rackmup
07-29-2003, 04:18 AM
I have been playing poorly. One only has to look at this months issue of Billiards' Digest to read about how easily Kato blistered me in "Kato vs. Rackmup Challenge I" (I think it's in this months issue.)

Last night, simply said, I BLISTERED my opponent in APA 8-ball league play. He's a s/l-7, I'm a lowly s/l-6. He won the first game and sat as I reeled off four straight.

My coffee tastes so much better this morning.

Regards,

Ken (gettin' his focus on for "Kato vs Rackmup Challenge II")

Aboo
07-29-2003, 03:08 PM
I've won three weeks straight in our 8-ball APA league. 3 5's in a row /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif (I'm a 4).
Last week, for the first time ever, I got called a sand-bagger! LOLOL I was proud as hell. He was new to our division, so doesn't know me that well hehe. I'm prolly jinxed now and will get my butt kicked on Thursday, but not if I can help it! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ralph S.
07-30-2003, 07:11 AM
You can trust me Wendy! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif