PDA

View Full Version : Jump/ Break Cues

Jay
07-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Do you think it is necessary to buy a jump/break cue? I usually just use one of the house cues at the pool hall but Ive always wondered if investing in a jump/ break would be more of a benefit rather than a loss. How many of you out there own a jump/break cue? Would you suggest it?

rackmup
07-28-2003, 03:28 AM
I'm not fond of a jump/break cue but I do endorse owning a break cue and a jump cue.

It's no secret that I enjoy my old Meucci JC and love my Predator BK.

Eg8r has a Bunjee Jump/Break Cue and smashes the rack with it. OPC breaks with a Don Wallace Original Break Cue (a local cuemaker) and his break has improved 100% with it.

Eg8r is quite adept at using the JC "half" of his Bunjee BK while OPC couldn't jump a ball with a running start and a launch ramp.

Regards,

Ken (safety?...I can jump that.)

Jay
07-28-2003, 07:39 AM
so you think that it would be a could idea to buy a jump break cue? now if you were going to buy one how much should you spend on one. I bought my Mike Sigel cue for 120 and I dont really want to buy a jump/break cue that is more than my regular cue.

eg8r
07-28-2003, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the nice words Ken. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a Bunjee J/B cue and it does the job. There is nothing pretty about it but it gets the job done. I do not think I will get another j/b in the future as I liked my Bunjee jumper better when that was all it was. I personally think I like having seperate cues.

For the money, I think the Bunjee j/b is a great cue. There are quite a few others also, I am just a little biased to the bunjee. I also do not believe all the hype about one jumper being better than another. I have not found a jump cue that I could not jump with. I think this has more to do with fundamentals rather than the cue.

Let us know what you decide to get.

eg8r

eg8r
07-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Ooops, I did not read your reply earlier. If you do not want to spend much money, then the Jump/Break is the best way to go. I got my Bunjee J/B for $100. I am guessing they are going for that or maybe a little more or less. You might be able to find one on ebay for a little less.

eg8r

bolo
07-28-2003, 09:39 AM
In ability to jump the ball a lot of jump cues will perform close to the same. There is a big difference in feel though. I have a custom made jump cue that is 45 inches long yet only 8 ounces. It is birdseye and ebony and looks similar to my playing cue. It does not have that skinny little butt piece, instead it has been cored and has a very light center to keep the weight down letting the handle be thicker and a lot more comfortable. Anytime I let anyone use it, who has something like a bungee, without exception, they can't believe how much better it feels and how much more accurate they are with my cue then the Bungee. It cost me only $150., not bad since it will probably last me a life time. I don't like jump/break cues. I don't think you can get the best of both in one cue.

griffith_d
07-28-2003, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> so you think that it would be a could idea to buy a jump break cue? now if you were going to buy one how much should you spend on one. I bought my Mike Sigel cue for 120 and I dont really want to buy a jump/break cue that is more than my regular cue. <hr /></blockquote>

Sounds like you need to buy a more expensive playing cue so your break cue will less expensive than your playing cue.

Griff

Jay
07-28-2003, 11:52 AM
what about just a break cue?????? everyone is just talking about a jump cue but im not really a big fan of jumping the cue because i always mess up one way or another. My question really is "is there are real reason to buy a jump/break cue" will it help my game at all.

rackmup
07-28-2003, 11:56 AM
I suggest spending at least $3500 on your playing cue and at least $650 on a case. This way, anything you subsequently spend will pale in comparison.

Regards,

Ken (also gives tax advice, relationship counseling and pool lessons)

eg8r
07-28-2003, 12:04 PM
I guess it is really up to you to make that decision...

[ QUOTE ]
My question really is "is there are real reason to buy a jump/break cue" will it help my game at all. <hr /></blockquote> NO. None of these cues are going to help your game any further past your ability. The only advantage to the jump/break cue is that you only have to buy one cue.

You should be able to break just fine with your playing cue and not hurt the cue at all. As far as jumping, sure the jump cue makes it easier, but it is up to you if you want to put in the practice jumping balls. It is a great tool to have but it is not necessary.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
07-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Jay...if you can get the Bungee BJ for 100-130, preferrable 100 of course,,,THAT is your cue. Look at it this way, you get an established JC plus a nice busting cue, and that's a deal(IMO.) If you really want a sweep BJ, consider a Jerico(sp?) A friend of mine bought one a little while back, and that thing REALLY breaks well, plus the jumper function equals or beats the Stealth and Lucasi I own, and I've not had near as much luck with a Bungee as I have with either of the three I mentioned here. Btw, it is my solid belief that the ultimate key ingredient in jumpers is the tip. My Stealth was on the "for sale" list up until the time I replaced the tip with the same exact tip material that Lucasi uses, bakelite. I tried phenolic, but the bakelite was the killer tip. It was just like switching on a light...it hops like crazy now.

Looks as though that you're best off getting the Bungee BJ since you have a spending limit of 125 and down...sid

Fred Agnir
07-28-2003, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay:</font><hr> My question really is "is there are real reason to buy a jump/break cue" will it help my game at all. <hr /></blockquote>Your answers are:

No.

Yes.

Fred

Koenig
07-28-2003, 12:30 PM
In my opinion break n jump cues are lesser in jumping and breaking than specified cues. Especially jumping. I´ve had two and tried several but none did the job of jumping close to what a good jumpcue does.

If you get good breks from it that´s fine, I haven´t. They´re called break n jump. As in break it down and jump - not jump and break - they´re not very good at either.

But give it a try, if it works for you that´s great, and it saves space in the case.

Sid_Vicious
07-28-2003, 12:44 PM
"As in break it down and jump - not jump and break - they´re not very good at either."

Koenig...The Jerico BJ is excellent, at both breaking and jumping. Truth is I never tried eg8r's Bungee BJ in the broken down, jump config. I am theorizing that Bungee added it's original JC into the combo. I did try the Bungee BJ as a break cue though and the Jerico beats it hands down. I'll say again though, it jumps like god.

I definitely agree with you for the most part,,,BJ cues nearly NEVER perform both feats in superb fashion. Mr. Powers built the Jerico BJ that defies that train of thought...sid~~~not selling his cues, but does know good when he sees and feels it

OnePocketChamp
07-28-2003, 04:38 PM
Ken, as usual is accurate in his assesment of my breaking and lack of jumping skills. I am now using a great cue to break with from a Arlington, Texas cue maker "Don Wallace", this guy does wonderful work and doesn't take months to complete at a bargin price. If anyone is interested in contacting him, please pm me and I will reply with his telephone number.

In all honesty, I believe my break has improved just by rubbing shoulders with Ken and even putting his advice to work. It can't be the cue, so it must be the Ken magic.

Regards (still looking for the magic yellow towel)

Kato
07-28-2003, 04:54 PM
For Christmas I'm buying a matching Omen Ebony Ghost to go with my new play cue. Of course putting 2 custom made cues in my case is kind of silly so I'm gonna saunter up the street and pay old Jack Justis a visit.

Kato~~~way off his rocker and actually someday intends to learn to jump the rock

eg8r
07-28-2003, 05:21 PM
Hey, how about some pics of the cue....

eg8r

Kato
07-28-2003, 05:33 PM
e-mail me at rbenoit@teamhorner.com and I'll send you a pic. For whatever reason I don't have a pic here.

Kato

Fred Agnir
07-29-2003, 06:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> For Christmas I'm buying a matching Omen Ebony Ghost to go with my new play cue. Of course putting 2 custom made cues in my case is kind of silly so I'm gonna saunter up the street and pay old Jack Justis a visit.
<hr /></blockquote>
It's addicting.

Fred &lt;~~~ addict

Kato
07-29-2003, 07:16 AM
Fred, I've played with the same cue for 8 years (until now) and had the same break cue for 11. I had the same case for 9 years until Voodoo jumped up and bought me one for Christmas a couple of years back. My old cues would be very well protected in that plus it's a great travel case. I just can't buy and buy, my discrectionary income just isn't that high.

Kato~~~wishes his discretionary income was higher though so he could collect custom cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rich R.
07-29-2003, 07:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr>Kato~~~wishes his discretionary income was higher though so he could collect custom cues. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
That would take a LOT of discretionary income. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

ceebee
07-30-2003, 12:10 PM
...it sorta boils down to an old axiom. Always use the right tool for the Job. I've owned a couple B/Js, but didn't like the short length &amp; the little-bit heavy Jump Cue part. Now that I've been fortunate enough to use a GREAT Break Cue... the BJ won't do for me.

I now use an Auerbach Jump Cue, it's more or less a short Cue as both parts are equal length. It even has inlaid Ivory diamonds in the Points, a Wrap &amp; inlaid Ivory diamonds in the Butt. It weighs 9 oz. or less &amp; is 45 inches long. The extra length makes it easier to aim with &amp; makes reaching out on the Pool Table more comfortable.

My Break Cue is either an Auerbach PIE/LAM-SHAFT or my Predator BK. My personalized Auerbach Break Cue is dolled up a bit for a Break Cue.