PDA

View Full Version : Is it really too late for 10 ball?

L.S. Dennis
07-27-2003, 10:57 PM
This question has probably been asked a bunch of times already, but is it too late to change over to ten ball? After having watch several matches on ESPN of late in which both men and women routinely made balls on the break (with or without the Sardo rack). I for one would like to see a bit more difficulty injected into the game especially when it comes to making balls on the break.

Allen Hopkins I believe once said that they really should have started ten ball instead of nine ball on the tournament circuit. I tend to agree with him but alas I think it's probably too late to change now unfortunately.

Irish
07-28-2003, 12:17 AM
I would love to see a more difficult game become the mainstream. 9-ball is far too easy to master and when you get two top players playing a race to 9 or 11 you can almost flip a coin to determine the winner. Cardiff this year was kind of depressing in that so many matches were decided on the hill in races to 9 and so many upsets took place due to the nature of the game. Skill and determination should be the thing that determines the winner of a match but as it stands right now in a race to 9 one bad break can be the difference between winning 9-4 and losing 9-4 since any pro level player can string multiple racks. 9-ball is a game that can be, and has been mastered by far too many players.

The game that is needed must not be able to be mastered. 15 ball rotation tests the skills of even the best players in the world, it also allows the cream to rise to the top. A hybrid game with all 15 balls being run in rotation with the 1 ball being worth 1, 2 worth 2, ect... up to the 5 ball worth 5 points, at the 6 the points start at 1 again, the 7 ball 2 points, ect... up to the 10 ball worth another 5 points, same thing for the 11-15 balls. Make the game called ball, pocketing non-called balls results in those points for the opponent, balls pocketed on a scratch are points for the opponent, balls are wild off the break, have ball in hand, rack the 5, 10, 15 in the middle with the 1 ball at the top and 2 and 3 at the corners. Sets can be races to any multiple of 45 (number of points on one table possible) such as 90, 135, 180, ect.... The added score of both opponents after each rack always adds up to a multiple of 45. This game works very well in practice. It is quite fun to play and is quite challenging. Players running 90+ points would be shooting really strong. Pro matches would be awesome at about 270 point races with both players likely shooting enough so that the cream would rise to the top and the best man would win.

tateuts
07-28-2003, 02:02 PM
How about 4" pockets? That should make it a little more interesting.

Chris

thirtyeyes
07-29-2003, 02:47 PM
I think the greatest skill can be shown in the simplest games. I won't be convinced that 9B has been mastered until someone runs the whole set i.e. the looser of the lag doesn't take a shot.

Aboo
07-29-2003, 03:10 PM
Why don't they just play 8-ball? How is 10 ball played anyway?

Irish
07-29-2003, 08:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thirtyeyes:</font><hr> I think the greatest skill can be shown in the simplest games. I won't be convinced that 9B has been mastered until someone runs the whole set i.e. the looser of the lag doesn't take a shot. <hr /></blockquote>

It's already happend. Quite afew pro's have run out sets.

pooltchr
07-30-2003, 05:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Aboo:</font><hr> How is 10 ball played anyway? <hr /></blockquote>
Same rules as 9-ball but with one extra ball. Doesn't sound that different until you try it.

L.S. Dennis
07-30-2003, 08:11 AM
While we're at it, why don't we take it a step further and make it "call pocket" 10 Ball!?

TheChump
07-30-2003, 08:51 PM
In essence I agree with you. Change the game to 15 ball rotation. No points, just make all 15 balls in order but in short races to 7 or 9.