PDA

View Full Version : Seeing the angles

Hal
07-28-2003, 07:29 AM
I have trouble consistently seeing the correct angles when I play. At time I see them clearly and shoot well. Other times I can't seem to find the angle, guess, and shoot poorly. Any advise on how to correct this problem? Thanks.

Rich R.
07-28-2003, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hal:</font><hr> I have trouble consistently seeing the correct angles when I play. At time I see them clearly and shoot well. Other times I can't seem to find the angle, guess, and shoot poorly. Any advise on how to correct this problem? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>
There are three easy ways to correct your problem, and I'm sure you have heard them before.

1. Practice.
2. Practice.
3. Practice.

After all of that, you will see the angles better and just miss the shot, the same as the rest of us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
07-28-2003, 08:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hal:</font><hr> I have trouble consistently seeing the correct angles when I play. At time I see them clearly and shoot well. Other times I can't seem to find the angle, guess, and shoot poorly. Any advise on how to correct this problem? Thanks. <hr /></blockquote>

Welcome to the club!!! My stroke is straight and I follow through correct and I usually hit on the cueball where I want(providing good focus), but I miss shots due to not seeing the angle correctly.

I am kind of right brained anyway, which means I am not going to see the angles as well as some and learn best by trial and error. I think that is 'time on the table' for me and just hitting the balls so many times, that they will start dropping. Getting better, but still miss a lot of long cuts away from the rail.

But then again, I have gotten kind of relaxed, and have fun and I dont think it really matters how long it takes me to get good. Just keep plugging away.

Laura

griffith_d
07-28-2003, 11:06 AM

I think sometimes we shoot good and then bad,...because we may be second guessing ourselves and think, "that can't be right" and then do not shoot it and miss, when it was the right shot afterall.

We have to listen to ourselves and believe that we made the right decision on where to shoot, as we have made that same shot 500 times before. The shot is the same, it has not changed,...only our mind has changed by believing that that is the incorrect shot.

Believe it, shoot it, make it.

Griff

smfsrca
07-28-2003, 01:59 PM
If you can't see the angle automatically, then be very maticulous about spotting your target on the object ball. Walk around to where you are in direct line with the object ball and the pocket. Stand approxamately the same distance away from the table as you normally would. Rest the tip of the cue as close as possible the the object ball. Bend down so you are sighting at a height that is consistent with your typical stance and line up the cue with the object ball and the pocket. Focus intently on where the tip is pointing to on the object ball. Get up and line up your shot as normally all the while holding that spot of focus on the object ball. Make any adjustment that you have to to feel compfortable but don't lose that spot of focus. If you do lose it than get up and repeat the whole process over again.

heater451
07-28-2003, 03:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Hal:</font><hr> I have trouble consistently seeing the correct angles when I play. . . .<hr /></blockquote>Exactly which "angles" are you talking about? Cut angles? Bank angles? Position angles? . . .

If I assume that you mean the cut angles, then you don't necessarily have to see any angle at all, once you define a contact point on the object ball. Following that, you might have to 'calibrate' you aiming.

Of course, you may be aiming correctly most of the time, but be having a stroke issue that comes and goes.

How long have you been playing? (In regards to 'working on your stroke'?)

==========================

BillPorter
07-28-2003, 04:06 PM
Hal, as other posters have said, practice, practice, and more practice will eventually help you "see" the angles. But here's something to try in the meantime. It's been called "bracketing." You are down on your shot and you purposely aim to overcut the shot, then a warmup stroke or two later, you purposely aim to undercut the shot. In other words, you aim to miss it one way and then to miss it the other way. That may help you to see/feel the spot in between where the shot goes in. Hope this helps.

bigbro6060
07-28-2003, 11:13 PM
practice practice practice ! BUT pay attention to the errors you make and use them to analyze what you are doing wrong

Rod
07-29-2003, 12:24 AM
Hal,

Most likely your alignment is off when you set up. It's natural to not be aligned very well especially if your fairly new to the game. I see people that have played for years and their alignment is off. Sometimes as much as two or more inches.

When you feel it is not right you have to stand back up and step away from the table. If you take the shot from there you'll be a long time learning, how/where you should stand to be aimed properly. When you practice pay attention to your stance, head position, cue line and arm and feet position. Read a book on the basics, not to mention think about a good instructor to assist you through the basic concepts. Just because I said basics does not mean it's simple. Even good players can struggle in that area.

Rod