PDA

View Full Version : In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' guitarist dead

nAz
07-28-2003, 11:40 AM
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Erik Braunn, the Iron Butterfly guitarist who played one of rock's most recognizable riffs in the 17-minute anthem "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," died of cardiac arrest Friday. He was 52.

Full Story (http://LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Erik Braunn, the Iron Butterfly guitarist who played one of rock's most recognizable riffs in the 17-minute anthem )

SPetty
07-28-2003, 12:34 PM
I had forgotten how great that song is in the long version, but just a few days ago came in near the middle of it on the local classic rock station and fell in love again.

Does anyone know what CD has the long version of this song on it?

Thanks in advance.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-28-2003, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> ....Does anyone know what CD has the long version of this song on it?....<hr /></blockquote>

In-a-Gadda-da-Vida

Wally~~played the drum solo on the jr. high school lunch table

9 Ball Girl
07-28-2003, 01:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> In-a-Gadda-da-Vida

Wally~~played the drum solo on the jr. high school lunch table <hr /></blockquote>In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (In the Garden of Eden)

Wendy~~~it's the ringtone on my cell phone /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JPB
07-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Just heard the full length version on XM. Those of you without XM are living in the dark ages. Do you get messages via morse code telegraph too? /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

SPetty
07-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Oh, um, DUH! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I realize my mistake now - I was spelling it wrong! hahaha

Thanks, Wally.

Blackwolf
07-28-2003, 02:49 PM
According to some CCB detectives, if you spell In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida wrong, you must be the Phantom E-Mailer!

Yuk, yuk, yuk.

BW

Kato
07-28-2003, 03:29 PM
While the loss of human life is sad indeed I personally wish that song would die an agonizing death. This may not be a popular stance but since the music I listen to is mainly ridiculed anyway I'll happily add my .02 about it.

Kato~~~cranking out some classic Flotsam and Jetsam. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
07-28-2003, 04:28 PM
I'm in mourning, as this is one of my all time favorite tunes. Kato - hang around with us old farts long enough and you may get to appreciate our music. Our "heavy metal" is the forerunner of yours. Although yours took it to a new dimension. I listened to Flotsam and Jetsam back in the early 90's but didn't care for them.

DG - who thinks there may be hope for Kato

Eric.
07-28-2003, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure if the CD version is the same as the "Stereophonic" LP. The short version is on side 1 and the entire side 2 was the long version.
It was my first album, which I still have...

Eric &gt;looking for it tonite

nAz
07-28-2003, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr>

DG - who thinks there may be hope for Kato <hr /></blockquote>

all he needs is a Blunt /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

everytime I hear "In a ga da" i can't help but think of the Simpson episole where Bart replaces the church organ sheet music with "In a ga da" Bahahaha

Barbara
07-28-2003, 05:32 PM
Hey Eric!

You gotta share!!!

I'll be at Castle August 9-10th. If you burn a CD with it, I've got the nuts! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara~~~absolutely loves that tune....

dg-in-centralpa
07-28-2003, 06:18 PM
nAz - or maybe a hit off a 6 foot bong filled with cherry vodka. Count me in.

Rich R.
07-29-2003, 04:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> While the loss of human life is sad indeed I personally wish that song would die an agonizing death. This may not be a popular stance but since the music I listen to is mainly ridiculed anyway I'll happily add my .02 about it.<hr /></blockquote>
Kato, I think we have a generation gap here. For you to relate to In-a-Gadda-da-Vida, you had to be in a certain age group, when it was popular.
Of course, if you were, you may not remember. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
07-29-2003, 05:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> ....It was my first album....

Eric &gt; <hr /></blockquote>

Me too. Then Alice's Restauraunt, then Steppenwolf (the one with Born to be Wild and The Pusher on it.

Eric.
07-29-2003, 07:46 AM
Hey Barbie,

I'm not set up to transfer it from LP to CD. If you are, I'll lend you the record, just PM me. I found it last nite and it's still in great shape. I'll bring it to Richie's place next week.

BTW, I was wrong. There is no short version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on side 1. It's only a 17:05 min. version on side 2. Also, reading the bio on the band members on the back(I forgot their stories), Erik Brann was only 17 when it was cut. That makes him about 15 or 16 when their first album came out! [The hell with school, I'm going on Tour!]

Eric &gt;still a daydreamer

Eric.
07-29-2003, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Steppenwolf (the one with Born to be Wild and The Pusher on it. <hr /></blockquote>

I had that one too, but don't know what happenned to it.

I had the benefit of a cool older brother(when he wasn't beating me up) that hooked me up with alot a records an 8 year old wouldn't normally have.

Eric &gt;still bruised

Rich R.
07-29-2003, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Hey Barbie, <hr /></blockquote>
Oh, are you in trouble now!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
If you think your older brother bruised you, wait until Barbara gets done with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Barbara
07-29-2003, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rich R.:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Hey Barbie, <hr /></blockquote>
Oh, are you in trouble now!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
If you think your older brother bruised you, wait until Barbara gets done with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Huh??? Am I supposed to be mad at Eric or something?

Barara~~~confused...

Rich R.
07-29-2003, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>
Huh??? Am I supposed to be mad at Eric or something?

Barara~~~confused... <hr /></blockquote>
You usually don't take kindly to being referred to as "Barbie". I guess Eric has special privileges.

Now I'm confused. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
07-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Calling me "Barbie" or "Babs" is totally acceptable.

My mom calls me "Barbie" and I have a brother who calls me "Babs".

Barbara~~~just doesn't like that other four-letter name...

nAz
07-29-2003, 10:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> nAz - or maybe a hit off a 6 foot bong filled with cherry vodka. Count me in. <hr /></blockquote>

Cheery Vodka nice.

nAz
07-29-2003, 10:17 AM
Spetty and others heres a site where you can hear the MIDI version of the song as well as others.
http://www.erzschlag.de/waves/midi/inagadadavida.mid

Chicago's 25or6to4 sound pretty good, why do i like that song??

Rich R.
07-29-2003, 10:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Calling me "Barbie" or "Babs" is totally acceptable.

My mom calls me "Barbie" and I have a brother who calls me "Babs".

Barbara~~~just doesn't like that other four-letter name... <hr /></blockquote>
Thanks for clearing that up.
Now, why aren't the Orioles doing better? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Barbara
07-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Eric,

I'm not set up to play any LPs. My Bang and Olufson turntable is in the back bedroom closet and it looks like it's going to stay there.

Barbara~~~loves that remote-controlled B&amp;O turntable...

SpiderMan
07-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Spetty,

I have a copy.

Spidey

Eric.
07-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Well ain't that a Catch-22 /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

If you're interested, there's always plan B- I can download it and bring ya a CD. I'll even include the Bart Simpson in church version. Of course the sound might be better off the album. Maybe you should pull out the old faithful...

Eric &gt;either, or

Keith Talent
07-29-2003, 10:48 PM
nAz,

Though it's quaint nostalgia to the likes of you, that song dished out a lotta pain to us in the John Travolta generation. It puts me back on the practice field, in marching band, in that tall black furry hat ... I can see the ice forming on my trombone slide ... and then there's this scary tugging at my numb lower lip as I try to disengage it from the frozen mouthpiece ... and I'm saying, thank god for a droplet of warm spit.

On the other hand, the theme from "Hawaii Five-O" brings back warm memories ... cain't explain it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ralph S.
07-30-2003, 07:38 AM
Gotta agree Kato, listening to some true Metallica right now. The vintage stuff, not the watered-down radio crap.

Kato
07-30-2003, 07:39 AM
Nice. That's the only way to listen to Metallica. Old and loud!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato

nAz
07-30-2003, 10:40 AM
"Hawaii Five-O" brings back memories of Benny Hill when he spoffed Mcgarette /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif hahahaha

Qtec
07-30-2003, 10:44 AM
Do I smell some of that sweet aroma in the air? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hungry ?

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nAz
07-30-2003, 10:47 AM
come again?

Keith Talent
07-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Ouch ... missed that one. Trying to picture McGarrett as a British matron. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
07-30-2003, 04:05 PM
Q - I know what you mean, I always got a bad case of munchies afterwards.

Wally-in-Cincy - Alices Restaurant is great, along w/Steppenwolf

DG - you can get anything you want at Alices Restaurant

dg-in-centralpa
07-30-2003, 04:10 PM
Rich R. - How does the saying go, "If you remember the sixties you weren't there"

DG - who's getting ready to celebrate Woodstock, and listen to all the albums again, and jam to Country Joe and the Fish with the "Fish" cheer. GIVE ME AN "F"....

Kato
07-31-2003, 07:30 AM
I absolutely love Alice's Resturaunt. Great song.

Kato~~~you can get anything you want at Alice's Resturaunt. You can get anything you want......at Alice's Resturaunt. Walk right in it's around the back. Just a half a mile from the railroad tracks. You can get anything you want at Alice's resturaunt.

It all started.....................

Rich R.
07-31-2003, 07:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I absolutely love Alice's Resturaunt. Great song.

Kato~~~you can get anything you want at Alice's Resturaunt. You can get anything you want......at Alice's Resturaunt. Walk right in it's around the back. Just a half a mile from the railroad tracks. You can get anything you want at Alice's resturaunt.

It all started..................... <hr /></blockquote>
Your too young to know that song!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Have you ever seen the movie? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
07-31-2003, 07:49 AM
Haven't seen the movie Rich. I kindof stumbled upon it going to an old girl friends parents house for Thanksgiving. We heard the song on the radio and her father later informed me that it's only played on the radio that time of the year. However, with file sharing (no, I don't file share) out there the song was easily accessible. So every now and again when I'm going through my song lists I'll play it. One of my favorite sing-a-long songs.

Kato~~~Yes Officer Obbee I must confess. I put that letter under that pile of garbage.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-31-2003, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Rich R. - How does the saying go, "If you remember the sixties you weren't there"

DG - who's getting ready to celebrate Woodstock, and listen to all the albums again, and jam to Country Joe and the Fish with the "Fish" cheer. GIVE ME AN "F".... <hr /></blockquote>

I pulled up to the tavern for a Saturday afternoon 3-ball session a while back. The local FM station was having a "pay-for-play" charity fundraiser and on came "Goin' Home" by Ten Years After. I was rockin' man. My truck was bouncing from my air drums /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. My friend looked out the back door of the bar and the look on her face was like "WTF?" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="red">Ladies and Gentlemen.............Ten Years After </font color>

Eric.
07-31-2003, 08:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> One of my favorite sing-a-long songs.

Kato~~~Yes Officer Obbee I must confess. I put that letter under that pile of garbage. <hr /></blockquote>

Dude, how do you sing along to that song??

Eric

Eric.
07-31-2003, 08:59 AM
I was too young to go to the first one, but I went the the second Woodstock. Joe Cocker opened up with "Feelin Alright" on Sat. It was unbelievably hot &amp; humid, which we thought was bad, until it started raining... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric &gt;got some great pics

Rich R.
07-31-2003, 09:31 AM
For those of us, who attained age 19, during the Vietnam "Conflict" , and were required to go down to the local draft board, that song is just a little special. It was kind of a shared experience.

I am a long time member of the "Alice's Restaurant, anti-massacre movement." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
07-31-2003, 06:38 PM
Wally - Ten Years After..what a group! Alvin Lee was very underrated as a guitarist. How could that time period have so many phenominal guitarists, and now there are hardly any worth writing home about.

DG - Coming into Los Angeles, bringing in a couple of Keys(spell?), don't touch my bags if you please, mister customs man

Rich R.
08-01-2003, 04:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Wally - Ten Years After..what a group! Alvin Lee was very underrated as a guitarist. How could that time period have so many phenominal guitarists, and now there are hardly any worth writing home about.<hr /></blockquote>
In that time, recordings were made with 4 or, at most, 8 tracs and synthesisers (sp) were almost the size of a room. The musicians learned to play very well and they made great music.

As technology increased and the number of recording tracs increased, 128 the last I heard, but it could be more, the quality of the musician and the music went down. They rely too much on the current synthesisers, which can be tucked under your arm, instead of creating good music.
JMHO.

dg-in-centralpa
08-01-2003, 05:42 AM
Rich - you're right about the synthesizers. Look what they did for Milli Vanilli years ago. That was one of the biggest farces in music history. Then when they tried to go legit, no one took them seriously and the one guy committed suicide.

DG - who's starting to have flashbacks of the old days

Ross
08-01-2003, 10:42 PM
I knew Alice! At least the one in the movie...

Her name is Pat Quinn. When I lived in Sherman Oaks her son played t-ball with my step-son, and all of us became friends. Anyway, she was pretty cool and enjoyed a toke or two or forty (usually the latter - she could smoke my wife and I under the table).

/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif &lt;- This is how we looked after an evening with her - the shades were needed whenever we went out in public on munchie runs.

One night she called us up to see if we would take care of her son, Chance, for the night. We said sure, what's up? It turns out she had a date with Bob Dylan. We never got to meet him, but we thought it was cool anyway to be a friend of a friend, and we got to hear stories about him.

Pat's movie career never took off, but she had a major role in An Unmarried Woman, which was a pretty big hit. She also was tentatively cast in the role of DeNiro's wife in Raging Bull, but at the last minute the producers decided to go with a younger actress. She was pretty bummed about that, as you can imagine.

Lost touch with her when we moved, but remember her fondly.

Ross ~ who also lived across the street from "Daisy Duke" (eat your heart out guys!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
08-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Rich,

That song is comming around on the Guitar in about 4 months. One of my all time favorites.

Rod