PDA

View Full Version : Bob Hope dies at 100

Rod
07-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Hope (http://www.msnbc.com/news/944998.asp)

Barbara
07-28-2003, 01:04 PM
I wonder where his wife will decide to bury him.

Barbara

Qtec
07-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Even though I have seen his movies a hundred times , he still makes me laugh . Great guy .

Q /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Still laugh at the Marx Bros , Laurel and hardy .

dg-in-centralpa
07-28-2003, 04:31 PM
What a shame. He was a great comedian. I don't know if he ever served in the armed forces, but he should get a military funeral either way. Especially for all he did for our troops.

DG - who loves the Marx Brothers, Laurel and Hardy, Martin and Lewis

Eric.
07-28-2003, 05:11 PM
7 decades in show biz. Xmas won't be the same.

Eric >100 freakin years!

nAz
07-28-2003, 05:18 PM
I remember hearing an interview of Hope by Howard Stern a few years back, the man was so funny and acually related with Stern.

WesK
07-28-2003, 05:30 PM
Indeed.

Barbara
07-28-2003, 05:37 PM
DG,

If you read the related link, he wanted to join the armed forces, but was told that he's be better suited to entertaining the troops.

I hope I wasn't mis-read when I said that I'd love to know where he's going to be buried. His wife, Delores, asked him that question not too long ago and Bob answered, "Surprise me."

What a comedian. I'll miss him and his humor forever.

Barbara

dg-in-centralpa
07-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Barbara - you're fine. I agree that we'll all miss his humor. He was one of the last great comedians.

DG - not sure who'll take Bob's place

Barbara
07-28-2003, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dg-in-centralpa:</font><hr> Barbara - you're fine. I agree that we'll all miss his humor. He was one of the last great comedians.

DG - not sure who'll take Bob's place

<hr /></blockquote>

DG,

No one, absolutely no one. There is no comedian or comedienne that would be able to take a stage today without using profanity or sex for jokes. That era is gone. There are very few rare clean jokes any more and no one could make a job of it at comedy clubs. Once you hear them, that's it. It's just the way entertainment has evovled.

Barbara~~~always watches "Punchline" when it comes on.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
07-28-2003, 06:57 PM
I think Bob might enjoy being planted to the side of an 18th fairway at his favorite club. He would probably want the left side because his friends sliced to the right! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

~~~ rod, was a happy hooker

Barbara
07-28-2003, 07:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> I think Bob might enjoy being planted to the side of an 18th fairway at his favorite club. He would probably want the left side because his friends sliced to the right! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

~~~ rod, was a happy hooker <hr /></blockquote>

LOL!! I wonder if Delores has a clue about that. Now where do you think they'd bury the club???? No wait!! They'd have to have a ceremony for the club first!!!
Barbara /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dg-in-centralpa
07-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Barbara - I agree with you about the jokes. The only comedian I loved and really enjoyed was Sam Kinison. He was different and walked to the beat of a different drum. His appearances on Howard Stern were priceless. Most comedians barely get me to crack a smile. But Sam was the best. I used to watch the show "Make Me Laugh" and could sit through the whole show and never laugh. Maybe I have a weird sense of humor. Who knows....

DG - who understands that all the great ones have to go sometime, but hates to admit it

Barbara
07-28-2003, 08:28 PM
Oh, Sam Kiniston!! Wow! Talk abot somone dying young!!!

His jokes about Kenya and sand had you wishing you had his mind!!

OUCH!!

Barbara

Qtec
07-28-2003, 10:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/39208000/jpg/_39208943_hope7.bbc.jpg

Q

Hopster
07-29-2003, 12:03 AM
No one, absolutely no one. There is no comedian or comedienne that would be able to take a stage today without using profanity or sex for jokes. That era is gone. There are very few rare clean jokes any more and no one could make a job of it at comedy clubs. Once you hear them, that's it. It's just the way entertainment has evovled. ,--Barbara

You got that right Barb. Who they got today ? Dice clay ? Chris rock ? Every word out of their mouth is F this or suck that. Gets old real fast.
Me, i always liked Buddy Hackett who could be dirty but not like these morons.

rackmup
07-29-2003, 03:22 AM
All the "good ones" that I remember from my childhood, those that my parents so enjoyed watching, those who served as an inspiration for so many of todays' stars...are leaving us.

I'm forced to finish out the latter half of my life with the likes of Eminem, American Idol and Judge Judy.

Sad. Very sad.

Gods' speed Mr. Hope.

Regards,

Ken

Rod
07-29-2003, 05:18 AM
They had many of his friends on Larry King as a tribute. I believe Larry King has a similar show planned for tonight.

kingarthur
07-30-2003, 02:36 AM
Sam Kinison was nothing. Lenny Bruce was/is the king of all stand up comedians. I give Bob Hope his dues, but ahh, Lenny Bruce, the louis pasteur of comedy and junkiedom, why did god steal you away at such a young age?

Ralph S.
07-30-2003, 07:35 AM
My dad started mentioning an incident with Bob Hope when he was doing a routine on radio. He started cracking jokes and said one to the effect of "if womens skirts get any shorter, they will be powdering four cheeks instead of two".
As soon as Hope finished that line the radio cut him off abruptly.

It is funny what was considered vulgar way back in the day.

dg-in-centralpa
07-30-2003, 04:16 PM
KingArthur - I agree about Lenny, although I never listened to him much. Of the old timers I liked early Redd Foxx and Rusty Warren. Who can forget Rusty's immortal "Bounce Your Boobies". One of Redd best skits was about a guy going to the electric chair. As he's walking past the cells at the prison, inmates were saying goodbye and Redd not knowing what to say, says "More Power to ya!" Lmao!

DG - who also liked Abbott and Costello

heater451
07-30-2003, 04:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> All the "good ones" that I remember from my childhood, those that my parents so enjoyed watching, those who served as an inspiration for so many of todays' stars...are leaving us.

I'm forced to finish out the latter half of my life with the likes of Eminem, American Idol and Judge Judy.

Sad. Very sad.

Gods' speed Mr. Hope.

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>Aw, c'mon Ken--don't give up Hope. (ouch)

=======================

Fran Crimi
07-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Has anyone watched those reruns of the old Celebrity Golf shows that they've been showing on the golf channel? They showed one this week with Bob Hope playing 9 holes against Sam Snead back in the 1950's. It was great. Snead birdied 5 out of the 9 holes and Bob did well, parring 4 holes himself. After the round the commentator asked Bob if he learned anything from the experience. He said, "Yeah, I learned to stick with my own group." He was a great ad libber.

Fran

Rod
07-30-2003, 08:53 PM
He was a great ad libber and his one liners. I haven't seen any of those old celebrity golf shows. As a matter of fact I did not know they existed. I wonder how I missed those shows. I'll keep an eye out in the future. Most of the older stuff, out here, is on very late as I recall.

Rod

kingarthur
07-30-2003, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
KingArthur - I agree about Lenny, although I never listened to him much. <hr /></blockquote>

I have huge collection of Lenny Bruce stuff thanks to Kazaa. To get the full effect tho, you really have to see the videos. I meet so many individuals who have never even heard of Lenny Bruce, and that is a tragedy. It is the equivalent of somebody walking out of a theatre, just having seen romeo and juliet. "Well, it was an allright movie/play, but I've never really heard of this shakespeare fellow before."

Like I said, I believe Lenny Bruce ranks up there with the best of the best.

Fran Crimi
07-30-2003, 09:40 PM
Yes, they're really great. Do you get the golf channel there? Celeb Golf is on once a week, I think, in the afternoons, and a rerun again very late at night. It's in black and white too.

Sam Snead is always the pro and the celebrity is playing against him for charity. The celeb usually gets one or two strokes per hole. The week before last it was Harpo Marx and the week before that was Mickey Rooney.

Another thing they're showing every week is another golf series from at least the '50's, maybe even the '40's of Bobby Jones. It's almost like a sitcom on the golf course where he plays someone a round of golf, but there's a corny plot that revolves around it. Then the second half of the show features Jones giving a golf tip. It's great stuff.

Fran

MikeM
07-31-2003, 08:28 AM
Bob Hope was a wonderful comedian, a treasure to the golf world and a GREAT American. He is irreplaceable and will be missed.

Mike

dg-in-centralpa
07-31-2003, 06:43 PM
kingarthur - I forgot about early Robin Williams. Who can forget the Death of a Sperm Ballet or his impression of Nadia Commaneci? Now he's mellowed with age and a rash of bad movies.