PDA

View Full Version : Break...8' vs 9'

bott1637
07-28-2003, 04:45 PM
I usually play at my student union on campus where we have only 9 foot tables, but a buddie of mine got a job at a bar/ph with only 8 footers. I never had a problem making balls on my break (8 ball) on the nine foot, but can't get anything to fall on the eight. So I thought I was doing something different but the other day I was back on a nine didn't do anything different and was making balls left and right.

How do you adjust your break going from an 8 to 9 footer, at all? Adjust the speed or position at all?

Could just be crappy felt so not as much role on the tables at the bar, but it got me thinking.

cycopath
07-29-2003, 08:22 AM
Start moving the cueball around to find "the sweet spot". If that doesn't work start adjusting your break speed.

SpiderMan
07-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Other things being equal, I generally make more balls on smaller tables. Maybe the felt is substantially slower, resulting in fewer rail/pocket collisions?

SpiderMan

Aboo
07-29-2003, 03:12 PM
I tend to hit the ball to hard on small tables. Try slowing down your break, just a little. It has helped me immensly. (sp?)

Ralph S.
07-30-2003, 07:08 AM
This sounds like a question for Scott and his trusty radar gun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aboo
07-30-2003, 08:09 AM
The way it was explained to me, is that the cue ball was still in the air when it strikes the head ball causing less spread of the balls on collision. This is why big guys who try to SLAM the break tend to rocket the ball off the table, especially on little tables /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Now, if you could increase your speed AND make the ball fall to the table quicker, you could potentially get more power on the break and move the balls around more.

I'm to the point now where I always get a good spread, but I don't make a ball every time. Which is death when playing against 6's and 7's in the APA. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif So when I play against them, I break from the corner and aim at the second ball. This has more of a chance of making a ball (for me) and less of a chance of opening up the table. So I've been practicing breaking up clusters /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluewolf
07-30-2003, 08:19 AM
I do not know if this is important, but where I live, the pockets on the 8ft tables are smaller than the pockets on the 9ft tables.This is 5 in compared to 4 and 1/4.

Laura