PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 2003 WPC Delayed Coverage

dooziexx
07-28-2003, 06:00 PM
All around I thought it was great that we got to see 18 hours of delayed telecast. But the thing that bugged me the most was how they scheduled the TV matches. Every other day it was Steve Davis on TV. I understand the tourney is held in a "local" venue but I think I had enough of Davis on TV for awhile. Some players that I would like to seen have more air time are Rodney Morris, Chin Shun Yang, Bustamante, Souquet etc...Well that was my only gripe about the telecast. What were your thoughts?

UWPoolGod
07-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Having not seen much of any number of the professionals who were there I was pleased to even get a look at them. I had never had a look at Davis or Drako...was it Drago. Or several of the other players...Pagulayan especially. But you are right about not seeing several of the other players. I would personally like to see every one of the matches..but that leads to bad TV I suppose.

Qtec
07-28-2003, 09:48 PM
Its Tony Drago [ Malta].

Steve- Earl is the match that stands out.

Q

http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/hpbimg/earl%20-ref%20-steve%20small.JPG

Qtec
07-28-2003, 10:08 PM
The man himself.

Q

http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/hpbimg/Tony.JPG

Qtec
07-28-2003, 10:30 PM
Tony gets some height on the break.

Q

http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/hpbimg/Tony%20break.JPG

tateuts
07-28-2003, 11:36 PM
It was great being able to see so much of this tournament and I thought the coverage was excellent. Steve Davis, Efren, Earl, and Bustamante are all super-stars and they showed a lot of them, which they should be doing. These guys really played the best nine-ball - they basically eliminated each other! Bustamante was especially good - I really don't quite understand how Hohmann, as good as he was, beat Bustamante the way he was playing. It was fitting that Steve Davis and Earl went head to head.

I thought Steve Davis showed a great deal of class congratulating Earl in light of the fact that Earl was celebrating loudly (and rudely) on the sideline when Davis missed during the final game.

Chris

Deeman
07-29-2003, 06:41 AM
I was really impressed with Tony Drago. I had watched him play snooker over the years and while he was successful, he usually finished below the top four or so. He does have a gift for pool, I think. I liked watching all the players, regardless of country of origin or their original sport. How can you tire of watching Steve Davis. He is a threat anywhere, anytime. I also enjoyed seeing a few Asian players as they have brought on a new game in the last few years. In this land of pool on TV starvation, how can we not enjoy it all?

I hope they replay it as I missed two, two hour blocks and want to record it for my father. I can't remember a time when we had a week like last week with that many hours of pool on TV.

Wally_in_Cincy
07-29-2003, 07:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> ....I hope they replay it as I missed two, two hour blocks and want to record it for my father.

<font color="blue">I would not bet on it. But who knows, they might. I'll keep my eyes open. I missed Saturday but I have all the others I think. Maybe we can work out a tape swap. Which ones don't you have? </font color>

I can't remember a time when we had a week like last week with that many hours of pool on TV.

<font color="blue">Not only pool but players from around the world that I had never had the chance to watch and with good production quality. Can't ask for much more. </font color>

<hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
07-29-2003, 07:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman:</font><hr> I was really impressed with Tony Drago. I had watched him play snooker over the years and while he was successful, he usually finished below the top four or so. He does have a gift for pool, I think. <hr /></blockquote>I think that Tony Drago's calling is pool. If he learned to play the game, he'd be more of a threat than he is today. He made a few mistakes that a pool player should never make (from a strategic point of view). But, his overall aggressive shotmaking play was something.

Fred

Steve Lipsky
07-29-2003, 07:32 AM
Fred, did you see Ortmann's match (I think on the first day of TV), against the young kid? I thought Ortmann made a series of strategical misplays. Did you happen to notice them too? It was kind of shocking.

- Steve

Qtec
07-29-2003, 07:39 AM
You said it Fred.

Q

Tony "the Beast ? "Drago.

http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/hpbimg/Tony%202.jpg

Fred Agnir
07-29-2003, 07:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve Lipsky:</font><hr> Fred, did you see Ortmann's match (I think on the first day of TV), against the young kid? I thought Ortmann made a series of strategical misplays. Did you happen to notice them too? It was kind of shocking.

- Steve <hr /></blockquote>Unfortunately, I did not see Ortmann's matches. It's a shock just to hear that he made any mistakes.

Fred &lt;~~~ wonders about the dumping rumors

Deeman
07-29-2003, 08:05 AM
The two days my VCR screwed up were probably on Monday and Tuesday. I know I missed Efren's match where he played well and won. Also the one where Earl played Steve Davis. MY father loves to see Erren and I hate that the only match I caught for him was the one he lost!

Any help will be appreciated.

Dee

cycopath
07-29-2003, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>I missed Saturday but I have all the others I think. Maybe we can work out a tape swap. Which ones don't you have?<hr /></blockquote>
I missed part of Saturday. I do have the first hour, but not the second. If you'd like a copy PM me.

dooziexx
07-29-2003, 12:05 PM
I have all 18 hours on my PVR (its like a TIVO). /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not sure if I could transfer it to VHS??

Qtec
07-29-2003, 12:36 PM
All the photos I post are from my hard disk. I also have 20+ hours of vhs . I can transfer it to my kazaa shared file , so anybody with kazaa could download it .
Somehow I need to change the format cos I put in a 35 min recording and it was 1.7 Gb. A whole film is usually half that .
Anybody any ideas?

Q

charlieb
07-29-2003, 07:55 PM
Just plug in your VCR and tape from the harddrive of your PVR to your VCR. It works for me, and all of my customers.

Irish
07-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Anyone know if the Souquet vs Yang match was taped? That is the one match that sounded awesome to watch. Earl and Davis will be decent when I finally get a chance to see it as well.