PDA

View Full Version : What keeps your game sharp?????

cueball1950
07-28-2003, 09:10 PM
This may have been asked before. I don't remember> But anyway,, What keeps your game sharp. Practice, drills or what ever......................................mike

Kato
07-28-2003, 09:43 PM
Good question for me I think. My game hasn't been sharp in a few years. As a matter of fact it's been down right stagnant. Play the same people over and over, play in the same rooms and in the same tournaments and leagues over and over. What turns you on in pool? 2 things have recently happened to sharpen me up.

1) New cue. It's made the game fun again. The more fun I have the sharper I am. Why? Because I want to play more. The more I play the sharper I get.

2) Rackmup coming to Florida to play and battle for 4 nights straight. Forget about all the woofing and "battle for the state" crap. It's all about matching up with someone different, making it interesting and fun. It's all about fun and WINNING.

1 more thing that's important to me to work on my game for.

The meeting of the CCB'ers in September at the Open. No one wants to be out of form when 30 pool junkies hook up to party and play pool. Everyone wants to be sharp and look good. Nobody will say it. Everyone just wants to have fun. WRONG!!!!!!!! Everyone wants to have fun and BEAT EVERYONE ELSE!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~sharpening his skills on a daily now because when I'm not playing pool I'm thinking about it for the first time in 2 years. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Nightstalker
07-28-2003, 10:09 PM
Practice, and Virtual Pool Hall for PC. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheDragon
07-28-2003, 10:12 PM
I wouldnt know what keeps me sharp, I SUCK!!! Im real mad because i can't play worth a crap and my poor dad is taking me up to Michigan to get rolled over up there. Do yourself a favor and don't reply to this. I'm just an immature 14-year-old who isn't old enough to lose without throwing a fit. If I play bad, I seem to make it a goal to ruin everyone else's day. I should just be glad that I have friends despite being such a jerk and that my parents are nice enough to put up with me. I have no idea why I'm posting this. WOW im mad

Kato
07-28-2003, 10:19 PM
Dray, dude, you gotta relax. You're putting way too much pressure on yourself. It's a game man, have fun, you'll play better. You know it's all about attitude.

Kato

stickman
07-28-2003, 11:28 PM
THREE WORDS: regular competitive play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rod
07-28-2003, 11:39 PM
My game isn't real sharp,

1-I haven't played very much.

2-I have new pool glasses

3-I've stayed away because I quit smoking.

I give it a test two days ago

1- I am getting use to the new glasses

2- I can play pool and not smoke, without getting nervous

3- If I choose, I can play pool and drink without smoking. I thougt that one would be tough, if I drink I always want to smoke. Not any more.

4- What really helps keep me sharp is very fine tuned stroke drills when I warm up. I'm very meticulous about feel with how the cue is delivered. Once I get that smooth then it all falls into place.

I'm not a person that goes into a slump. I may not play all that well for a while, but that is not a slump. What that is, is me either not playing near enough, or not practicing fine tuning my fundamentals. Like they say, (whoever they are) "What you get out of something is in direct proportion to the effort you put into the task." Er something like that. LOL

To sum it up after some quality practice time I played very well. I took that to a couple of different games/players and played well there also. Later that night I gave up the 4 out winning two out of three sets. Not against a strong player by any means but it is a hefty spot. That was my first time back on a table in over 2 weeks. In the long run its going to get better when my body chemistry adjusts. That is my goal for keeping myself sharp. It also happens to fall right into another goal so I'm killing 2 birds with one stone. OK I'm done.

Rod

dmgwalsh
07-29-2003, 04:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Practice, and Virtual Pool Hall for PC. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
What is virtual pool hall for pc?

Rich R.
07-29-2003, 04:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Dray, dude, you gotta relax. You're putting way too much pressure on yourself. It's a game man, have fun, you'll play better. You know it's all about attitude.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>
Very good advise, Drayton, and every one else, should follow it.

Rod
07-29-2003, 05:09 AM
Why go if your going to be miserable? Or worst yet make everyone around you feel the same. Give up the game, no one is forcing you to play. You might be able to appreciate what people have done, or do for you in time with a better attitude. Other than that relax, life doesn't revolve around pool. Pool is just a game in life to enjoy. You did start playing pool because you enjoyed the game, didn't you?
Ask yourself what changed, and no I don't mean your stroke etc.

Qtec
07-29-2003, 06:00 AM
I keep in shape by playing against an American player. He's really good and IMO just as good as Earl.

Q

http://members.lycos.nl/agli2/hpbimg/M1%20compo.JPG

Just messin . /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

griffith_d
07-29-2003, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TheDragon:</font><hr> I wouldnt know what keeps me sharp, I SUCK!!! Im real mad because i can't play worth a crap and my poor dad is taking me up to Michigan to get rolled over up there. Do yourself a favor and don't reply to this. I'm just an immature 14-year-old who isn't old enough to lose without throwing a fit. If I play bad, I seem to make it a goal to ruin everyone else's day. I should just be glad that I have friends despite being such a jerk and that my parents are nice enough to put up with me. I have no idea why I'm posting this. WOW im mad <hr /></blockquote>

Keeping trying, calm down and don't get frustrated,....what did you say?,..you are 14. You have a long way to go. Pool is more fun than you can ever know. The thrill of the kill, the feeling of a great shot that you should have never made but went for it. The shutting up a big mouth when you run all the balls and win when they smart off when they miss. On and on,.....

You have to look at pool as a dog getting through the fence. He will keep trying until he finds a way,...if one way does not work, quit and try another way,...sooner or later you will get through.

Griff

BillPorter
07-29-2003, 06:06 AM
Someone once said the the best way to tell whether you are playing pool correctly is to ask yourself whether you are getting pleasure from playing. If not, you're doing something wrong. Maybe playing the wrong people or playing for the wrong reasons. As Rod said, it was enjoyable at first, right?

SpiderMan
07-29-2003, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> My game isn't real sharp,

(snip other reasons why Rod's game isn't sharp)

To sum it up after some quality practice time I played very well. I took that to a couple of different games/players and played well there also. Later that night I gave up the 4 out winning two out of three sets. Not against a strong player by any means but it is a hefty spot. That was my first time back on a table in over 2 weeks. In the long run its going to get better when my body chemistry adjusts. That is my goal for keeping myself sharp. It also happens to fall right into another goal so I'm killing 2 birds with one stone. OK I'm done.

Rod
<hr /></blockquote>

Doesn't that mean that your opponent wins anytime he pockets anything other than the 1, 2, or 3? Sounds like you'd have to be pretty sharp to win there. I only give my girlfriend the 5-out (we adjusted until it's about an even game), and I know my games not "sharp"!!

SpiderMan

bluewolf
07-29-2003, 07:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TheDragon:</font><hr> I wouldnt know what keeps me sharp, I SUCK!!! Im real mad because i can't play worth a crap and my poor dad is taking me up to Michigan to get rolled over up there. Do yourself a favor and don't reply to this. I'm just an immature 14-year-old who isn't old enough to lose without throwing a fit. If I play bad, I seem to make it a goal to ruin everyone else's day. I should just be glad that I have friends despite being such a jerk and that my parents are nice enough to put up with me. I have no idea why I'm posting this. WOW im mad <hr /></blockquote>

Personally, I beleive that talent in a young body is hard emotionally and every other way. I firmly believe that as you get older, you will learn to relax and enjoy the game more. Things will get better for you.

Having a temper in a young person comes out like a jerk. Once a bit older, that same temper can be transferred to determination, guts, drive, the heart of a champion.

BTW I think you are being too hard on yourself. Try to see the good things about you and jettison the self-condemnation.

I apologize in advance for being so blunt. Gets me in trouble every time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

UWPoolGod
07-29-2003, 08:26 AM
Trying to impress the pretty girls on the women's team at our local bar. Worked last night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cycopath
07-29-2003, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dmgwalsh:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nightstalker:</font><hr> Practice, and Virtual Pool Hall for PC. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
What is virtual pool hall for pc? <hr /></blockquote>It's a 3D pool-based computer game. There are three versions. The third being the best. You can find it online relatively cheap, like $10. It's pretty fun, as long as you have a decent speed computer (700mhz PIII or better) with a good video card.

9 Ball Girl
07-29-2003, 09:48 AM
Just getting to the table is what does it for me. But it has to be against someone else. Playing by myself won't do it 'cause I cheat myself by moving the ball over a little here and there but if I'm playing against someone else that's as realistic as it comes if I were to be playing competively. And it has to be everyday for several hours.

Wendy~~~last time at a table was 6/28 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cycopath
07-29-2003, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr>Wendy~~~last time at a table was 6/28 /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <hr /></blockquote>My god, you must be going crazy. I know I would be.

I guess what keeps me sharp is of course practice, and also watching really good matches. I like to break out my Accu-Stats tapes and watch Efren or Francisco negotiate a perfect run out of 8ball, barely even touching another ball other than the object ball. It's fascinating to watch the patterns they use.

rackmup
07-29-2003, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> 2) Rackmup coming to Florida to play and battle for 4 nights straight. Forget about all the woofing and "battle for the state" crap. It's all about matching up with someone different, making it interesting and fun. It's all about fun and WINNING.<hr /></blockquote>

What keeps my game sharp?
<ul type="square"> Keeping Kato guessing which Rackmup will show up. Hooter's wings in Ft. Lauderdale. Beachfront hotel room. A Bloody Mary for breakfast. The Redhead at Breaker's. Woofin' at Kato. Staying loose by having fun. Breaking really hard. [/list]

That winning stuff is really over-rated.

Regards,

Ken

HalSmith
07-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Dragon, ease off the caffine bud, your going to make yourself sick . We all stunk at one time , however I don't think I ever sucked unless you count the time, no I remember that time and I never sucked. ---Smitty

marek
07-29-2003, 10:45 AM
Actually you know exactly why you made this post...you are desperatelly crying for help! Take it easy man, nobody is perfect - not you not me....only God is. I have been in your shoes 18 months ago, angry on the whole world pissing everybody around me... I tell you few things:
1) your dad surely loves you and will always love you no matter what you do or say, no matter if you win the nationals or you lose all your matches...
2) you have to change your goals in pool completely - you should focus on enjoying the game!
3) the first thing that started my way out of misery which you are in now was 300 straight-in shots in the row - somehow this physical feat helped me to overcome my mistakes in technicue which on the other hand were caused by mental problems...so this block was broken and I started my way out of this mess....try it! it cant be worse than it is now..
4) FORGIVE YOURSELF YOUR MISTAKES! TRY TO ANALYZE WHAT YOU DO WRONG DURING SHOT, WHY DID YOU MISS THE SHOT THEN MAKE SURE YOU WONT DO THE SAME MISTAKE AGAIN!
5) PRE-SHOT ROUTINE HELPS TREMENDOUSLY!

HalSmith
07-29-2003, 12:56 PM
Marek, You gave that young man some of the best advice I have ever read on this board. My hat is off to you. ----Smitty

Fred Agnir
07-29-2003, 01:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> This may have been asked before. I don't remember&gt; But anyway,, What keeps your game sharp. Practice, drills or what ever......................................mike <hr /></blockquote>Playing. Competing.

Fred &lt;~~~ dull

Aboo
07-29-2003, 02:24 PM
Competition keeps me sharp. Practice keeps me good. Big difference :P

Rod
07-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Thats right, they win on any ball 4 an up. If I got in trouble, a reasonable safe usually gave me another turn at the table.

Rod

Brent
07-29-2003, 03:49 PM
The few things keeping me sharp are:
1) money
2) competition
3) stronger opponent

If these terms arent met I play like my mom...I totally fall apart /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Keith Talent
07-29-2003, 03:55 PM
Have been trying to mix things up when practicing to stay sharp.

Over the past few sessions, I've been spending about 45 mins playing one-pocket against myself. After knocking off the easy stuff on both sides, it gets pretty mind-bending ... for me, anyway. But both safety play and banking improved sizeable amount. Guess I'd get so hungry to make a ball after a while, that any sort of bank would start looking easy.

Also have added a runout drill from the back of Capelle's 9-ball book ... seems to be tightening my game up some, as well.

heater451
07-29-2003, 04:32 PM
I don't think I would consider my game all that "sharp", but I have reached a stage where I know what I have "to work on", and that goes towards the goal of raising my average ability, over my "hot" peaks. That is, if I can reduce the appearance and/or duration of a "cold streak", then I consider my overall game level to be better.

I've been through periods where I've been bored shooting alone--and couldn't stand shot-drills, so I began either shooting opposite-hand as a virtual second player, or I would handicap myself, by say, shooting banks with the solids, and 'regular' shots on the stripes.

Nowadays, I understand the benefits of shooting drills a little better, but I still don't like what I call "shot-drills", where you line up the same shot over and over again. I prefer to drill on the concept of a shot, such as shooting single banks (long table and short), shooting 'backwards', to practice caroms (which I also started out of boredome), and/or shooting out racks of balls with one particular aim/stroke, such as top-center-hard, soft/stop, extreme draw, etc., etc..

I've also been playing a local Monday tourney on 7' tables, and I've gotten back into (more) precision position, while in "traffic".--Since the shooting is (relatively) easier on the short table, I can worry less about "just missing" and pay attention to my "feel", so I get good feedback on speed, english and positioning. When I transfer back to a 9' table, I have a better idea of how I want to hit individual shots, to make position, but I start paying more attention to my mechanics. In other words, I learn how to make shots and position on the 7' tables, and then have faith that the shot will react the same (similar) on the 9' table, but I have to concentrate on striking the CB correctly.

There's more, but I've decided that I want to post some other stuff to new threads. . . .Basically, it's ALL practice of some sort, but seeing and trying something 'new' means that there's something else to practice/perfect.

=========================

UWPoolGod
07-29-2003, 05:02 PM
A lot of what keeps me sharp has to do with the complete bombardment of anything pool related. Whether it is on here, sitting at the pool hall watching others, playing, practicing, reading books, seeing it on TV. Sunday after watching the Pagulayan finals match I went to the bar and was instantly in deadstroke. Held the table for three hours against 5 or 6 other players. I find myself running through racks in my head. Where I messed up...what I could have done different. After each rack I will recant everything that happened in the game. Seeing the balls travel. Since pool is a very mental game I have found that these little mental projections have helped me when I am at the table as well.