PDA

View Full Version : THE QUICK START

cheesemouse
07-29-2003, 06:17 AM
THE QUICK START

I've started to phase out of the golf season early this year (hip problem) and figure I will be looking for some pool event before the rust is off the old pool game. If past history is any judge I will be mentally fresh, you know, kind of like "oh boy, this is going to be fun getting back in the action" but I will make lots of bad decisions because I won't be afraid to take any shot. The old 'I can't remember any of the nightmares from last pool season' type syndrome. Anywaysssss...I was wondering if any of ueeezzz guys/gals who lay the stick down over the summer months and then pick it up in the Fall have any secret methods for controling yourselves right out of the gate that allows you to play well and take advantage of that fresh energy early? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Fran Crimi
07-29-2003, 07:25 AM
Cheese, sorry to hear of your hip problem. Other than teaching, the summer months are my down-time for pool and up-time for outdoor activities. I think you described perfectly, the feeling of coming back from a layoff. You feel great mentally and you've pretty much forgotten your old fears and cautions. I think that's a good thing and rather than try to get control of my game, when I first start back I try to use that to my advantage.

When I first come back to playing, I'll put in about 20 hours by myself and throw caution to the wind. Let my stroke out, total abandonment, no restrictions. For the first 10 hours or so, I won't even break the balls. I'll just throw 9 balls out and try to run the rack, again and again; banking, kicking, no safeties, just offensive playing. After that, I'll start to reel it in a little; I'll start breaking the balls and play a little smarter.

After that I'll start playing some matches.

I think that after a layoff, if you start playing people right away, you'll lose the biggest benefit of your layoff, which is a clear head and a clean slate. After you've let your stroke out for 20 hours, you will see how much easier you can make the bigger shots in competition without tightening up.

I wouldn't worry so much about the strategy part. If you're running out, you won't need a whole lot of it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fran

pooltchr
07-29-2003, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> I wouldn't worry so much about the strategy part. If you're running out, you won't need a whole lot of it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fran <hr /></blockquote>
Damn, I like the way you think! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

07-29-2003, 10:07 AM

Aboo
07-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Hmm, Every week on league night I run at least one table, just rack em and shoot em like it was straight pool with no leave on the break ball. This does wonders for my league play, I wonder if this is why?

cheesemouse
07-30-2003, 06:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr> Cheese, sorry to hear of your hip problem. Other than teaching, the summer months are my down-time for pool and up-time for outdoor activities. I think you described perfectly, the feeling of coming back from a layoff. You feel great mentally and you've pretty much forgotten your old fears and cautions. I think that's a good thing and rather than try to get control of my game, when I first start back I try to use that to my advantage.

When I first come back to playing, I'll put in about 20 hours by myself and throw caution to the wind. Let my stroke out, total abandonment, no restrictions. For the first 10 hours or so, I won't even break the balls. I'll just throw 9 balls out and try to run the rack, again and again; banking, kicking, no safeties, just offensive playing. After that, I'll start to reel it in a little; I'll start breaking the balls and play a little smarter.

After that I'll start playing some matches.

I think that after a layoff, if you start playing people right away, you'll lose the biggest benefit of your layoff, which is a clear head and a clean slate. After you've let your stroke out for 20 hours, you will see how much easier you can make the bigger shots in competition without tightening up.

I wouldn't worry so much about the strategy part. If you're running out, you won't need a whole lot of it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

Fran,
I'm glad to hear this is a common phenomenon as I've been dividing my games (pool/golf) for many years now, each gets about half a year. I wish I could package that feeling after a lay off but for some reason it slowly fades away into what is correct/rational...hehehe I will give your come back advice a go and laugh like hell when one of those miracle outs backfires in competition and just continue with the 'free Willy' attitude till I'm broke...LOL I have about six weeks till I pack-up the cue case and hit the city limits where upon I will slip in the tape that begins with the Stephenwolf song that starts with the line "GEY YOUR MOTOR RUN'N...GET OUT ON THE HIGHWAY". The sound will be at about 120 decibals, the windows will be down and there will be JOY in my heart and on my face...god, I love that first trip...as the rodeo bronc rider says just before they open the gate "let'er buck!!!"....just another pool season on the horizon...good times, good people, good games...Ain't life grand???

...somewhat romantic but, what the hell..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ralph S.
07-30-2003, 06:49 AM
Well Cheesemouse, I dont really have that problem since I don't play golf or tennis. The only thing I can suggest is to not put the cue away completely when summer comes. Atleast go play pool once a week and it will help you stay in form to a certain degree.

bluewolf
07-30-2003, 07:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote whitewolf:</font><hr> Tap tap tap. This method of just firing balls in the holes The Inner Game of Tennis talks about quieting your Self 1 (conscious self) by letting your Self 2 take over. That is what this method does. I discovered it by accident on my own before reading any books etc. Now after reading a few of these 'mind' books, I can finally look back and understand what happened to me that wonderful brief period.

I would like to add here that I think it is best to get into a rythm right away. For instance, always go one two three, pause, finish and above all FREEZE. Do this each time when you start off and you will get back to your normal pool shooting ability more quickly. You will miss a few shots at first, but not to worry. Think positive and keep firing.

Regards, WW <hr /></blockquote>

This is what I am doing (except for the 10 hours straight part and runout part). Not having achieved run out ability ,but important thing that has been working for me is doing same good fundamentals every single shot. Balls missed or made (in my practice) do not count. Taking out that self-degradation in my practice is also resulting in more balls going in. This has helped me to relax, not beat myself up, have fun and get better all at the same time. it does seem I get a little better each week by practicing this way.

I know that drills are good, but they were just freezing me up and I was saying bad things to myself when I missed a shot, regardless of how many went it. I obviously cannot speak for anyone else, nor am I qualified to do so; but this way is helping my pool right now.

Is this what people mean by 'time on the table'?

Laua

Fran Crimi
07-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Hey, it's only money. (Your money, not mine. Hahahaha!)

Give it a shot. You may be pleasantly surprised. What have you got to lose? Okay...I know, I know...LOL

"LOOKING FOR ADVENTURE, OR WHATEVER COMES MY WAY"

Fran

griffith_d
07-30-2003, 05:13 PM
After all of the other posts, mine would be the same advice,...shoot like no one is watching, break like it is your last one, push caution out the window, think safeties are only for football, pretend all of your opponents cannot shoot, know that your stroke will be like a pad of butter across a hot griddle,......and feel that you cannot miss through any distracton.

Griff