PDA

View Full Version : Variation in giving weight

pooltchr
07-29-2003, 07:47 AM
I ran across a new (to me, anyway) variation in giving weight in 9-ball. Rather than giving up say the 6 and out and letting the weaker player win off any of those balls, once the first 5 are down, the weaker player is now shooting on the 9. The 9 is the ONLY money ball, but this seems to change the whole strategy of the game. Any thoughts???

Steve Lipsky
07-29-2003, 08:42 AM
Does the weaker player HAVE to shoot at the 9, or does he have the choice between that and the lowest numerical ball still on the table?

It would seem that if it is the former, it's a non-spot. When you play safe, you are doing so to a stationary ball (the 9) as opposed to a moving ball (the one you must contact). This is pretty easy.

If your opponent has the choice of which ball to hit, that is enormous.

- Steve

Sid_Vicious
07-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Are you saying that the weaker player gets to ignore everything except the 9-ball? I'm not sure I read this right...sid

pooltchr
07-29-2003, 08:56 AM
Yes, once the first balls are all down, the weaker player jumps to shooting at the 9. There are no other money balls, and the 9 becomes the ob for the weaker player. No they can't shoot at the 7 or 8. They must make legal contact with the ob.

socrates
07-29-2003, 08:57 AM
Not unlike golf, the outcome most matches are determined before the first ball is ever struck.

hustlefinger
07-29-2003, 09:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Any thoughts??? <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, ....itís ridiculous. Not even close to being the same spot.

Rick

Magog
07-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Not a good idea. Spotting games is the best way to do it. Average player racing to 5, advanced player race to 7 or whatever the case may be.

Steve Lipsky
07-29-2003, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pooltchr:</font><hr> Any thoughts??? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. The weaker player was getting robbed with a spot he thought was much larger than it is.

Wouldn't be the first time...

- Steve

HalSmith
07-29-2003, 12:46 PM
The guy who thought this up should run for office if he found some one to fall for it . Great sales pitch! By the way no one ever said gambling should be fair, the idea is to take the other guys money, right.---Smitty