PDA

View Full Version : Breaking someone down

Bruins Fan
07-29-2003, 09:41 AM
How do you break someone down and do you break down your opponent every time you play?

I play in the APA in mass and when I play the first game I break them down looking for the speed of play and the controle of the CB my opponent has also there confidence.If my game is on then i scrap that and just play but if the balls are just not falling.I will slow the game down and look for a safe for a 3 or more ball's run out instead of going for it.

I just wanted to say thanks for your comments in advance. I've been anonymously watching and think you have a great thing here and i have learned alote just reading and picking thing up thank you.

cycopath
07-29-2003, 10:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bruins Fan:</font><hr>but if the balls are just not falling.I will slow the game down and look for a safe for a 3 or more ball's run out instead of going for it.<hr /></blockquote>
I wish my safety play was to the point that I could do that. It seems like I always leave my opponent an opening somewhere. I really need to work on that.

bluewolf
07-29-2003, 10:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bruins Fan:</font><hr> How do you break someone down and do you break down your opponent every time you play?

<hr /></blockquote>

I used to try to break down my opponent and came up with some rather devious methods. I decided because of some stuff said here, to abandon that for awhile and work on my own game. I was real lopsidded, strong defense crappy offense. Since I started working on offense and only using defense when absolutely necessary, I started improving. Wonders never cease /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Some players, it seems to me, break down so easily with me not even trying to do it. Some are more strong mentally and are very hard to break down. I call them unflappable.

Seems also to me in my short time playing pool but just watching others, that it takes much more to break an experienced player. Many of them have just seen most of the head games and grown wize to it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Laura

Bruins Fan
07-29-2003, 10:47 AM
I don't want play head games instead to search for a edge to help stop the bleeding of losing and get controle or mementum. Sometimes just a little hole you get and are looking for it can seize the hole match. I like to play a chess match type of game then try to turn it on and take the game while they are thinking about what happened take another hopfully have a 5 or 4 ball run out.

you can live and die by a safe but it is part of the game so you must use it.

BillPorter
07-29-2003, 11:06 AM
Playing one-pocket, I try to play to my opponents weaknesses. If he has trouble with long shots (that will leave me a few balls if he misses), he'll get more than his share of long shots. If he hates being buried in the stack, that's where I try to put him. If he likes to play fast, I'll probably play slowly. In general though, it seems to me that you are better served by focusing on your own game and what will improve it.

Eric.
07-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Depends on the game. I try to find the "lower percentage" part of their game. For example, if you are playing 8 ball, instead of taking a risk and going for the run-out, I might try to finda good safe to play to, then see how he/she counters. I try to stay away from strategies like shooting the other persons balls to"mess with their head".

In 9 ball, I want to know how well my opponent can kick. You'd be surprised how many Intermediate to Highly skilled players that don't kick that well. For example, if you can comfortably play to the 6 ball, then lock em up tight, there's a good chance you'll either have BIH or he'll hit the 6 and leave the table open.
Another thought; is he an aggressive shotmaker? If so, Push out to a low percentage shot. Maybe a rack where there is a cluster elsewhere and see if he goes for it.

Just some thoughts.

Eric

Aboo
07-29-2003, 02:35 PM
For me it depends on who I'm playing. I play APA, against a lower skill player I'll play safeties, take my BIH and run. Against players slightly higher rated than I am, I run as far as fast as I can the first game or two. If I'm successful, they're against the wall and intimidated.

If I'm playing someone a lot better than I am, I try to be patient. I try really hard. Because against these guys, if you miss and leave a table open, your in trouble. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif So I try to wait until I can see the run and there is a reasonable chance that I can get out. Then I go for it. For these guys, it just comes down to how I'm shooting that night. Some nights I win, other nights I lose. But I always learn /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif